Well, Somebody Had to Say It...

Anderton

• Members

traffic is up a little, but only 2% of visitors make it to the forums

so participation is low

and yes, the who's online counter needs fixing

Other way around, 98% of visits are to the forums... and we use Google Analytics for our counter.

bieke strikes again with inaccurate information and FUD.

• Members

I'm not going to argue with Google Analytics or whatever, but if forum traffic is up, people aren't posting. This place is slower than it EVER has been and there aren't too many newbies taking part.

Most of us got here (I think) by needing information or having a question they needed answer and asking for help. Then, if we like the place, we stick around. I haven't seen much of that in any of the forums. The keyboard forum can go days without a post. The live sound forum is mostly a few old-timers sharing stories.

• CMS Author

This is the only forum I read here. I came here when Craig was still doing interactive Pro Reviews. There was one going on for the Mackie Satellite interface and my friends at Mackie asked me join in and offer some comments. I kind of liked the place so I stuck around.

• Members

GS uses the same system, only another version, I think GS is still on vB4, which is stable and works and is the most widely used vB platform

HC went with vB5, an insider confessed that since its release (now more than 2 years ago) over 6000 bugs have been found and fixed in vB5 and actually, vB itself has sent out an email 10 days ago that a large site (yup, HC) runs successfully on vB5 ... however unlike HC, 98% of vB customers wisely prefer not to switch to vB5.

I`m not that smart but why the hell would HC use a version that has over 6000 f8$k!ng bugs in it? I know HC wants to contend with the GS giant but the truth is, this forum sucks. HC was a disaster for so long, it lost a huge percentage of its visitors. Lets be honest here.

I don`t know Dendy, I don`t know when he started here on HC, and I for sure don`t know what he walked into but the mistakes from years past have been disatrous. Getting old timers back should be the first objective. New visitors will come if the forum has quality content and actually operates the way it should and we know it still doesn`t…

• Members
I'm not going to argue with Google Analytics or whatever, but if forum traffic is up, people aren't posting. This place is slower than it EVER has been and there aren't too many newbies taking part.

Most of us got here (I think) by needing information or having a question they needed answer and asking for help. Then, if we like the place, we stick around. I haven't seen much of that in any of the forums. The keyboard forum can go days without a post. The live sound forum is mostly a few old-timers sharing stories.

You`re 100% correct. I don`t care what analytics are saying either. Traffic here is dismal. This site is depressing. I don`t remember how I came to HC but I know why I joined. I enjoy the folks but many are gone. Thankfully the ones that are still here, I enjoy immensely and I hope to one day meet some of you. I just wish there was more activity.

• Members
This is the only forum I read here. I came here when Craig was still doing interactive Pro Reviews. There was one going on for the Mackie Satellite interface and my friends at Mackie asked me join in and offer some comments. I kind of liked the place so I stuck around.

I visit the Songwriting forum occasionally but this is where I come to first and hang out for the most part. I think this forum would do better if Craig posted more reviews here. I also think HC should drop the Political Forum, what exactly is accomplished there?

• Members

Take it from me...this update was light years ahead of both Jive and Lithium. For starters, the site didn't blow up when the flicked the switch...Jive was truly a horrible experience all around. Not only did it destroy the site, it was a scorched earth situation where picking up the pieces for subsequent attempts was exponentially more difficult.

It wasn't entirely their fault; a site like HC requires a huge amount of customization if you're going to do more than just run a BBS. Trying to work with off-the-shelf solutions was always going to be doomed, or at least run up against a limit. In a way Jive was in over its head ("well, we didn't really believe you had more traffic than Apple"). Nucleus is capable of doing the customizations needed for a site like this, but it takes time, effort, and support.

• Members

Well, sorry to hear about Dendy but honestly he was kind of given a litany of problems to resolve.

Hi all - probably one of the oldest old timers here. One of the biggest problems is just trying to get into the system in the first place. I seem to regularly have to ask HC to create a new password for me, this emails me a link which upon clicking gives me an utterly non-rememberable sequence of letters and numbers as a new password. Then you try to change your password to something more manageable it ends up refusing it (which is never clear why - it's certainly long enough and has upper and lower case letters and numbers) so I end up getting locked out shortly after trying to get back in. It's almost like HC doesn't want traffic. I finally just saved the current password in the browser I have on some specific computer but boy, the whole setup could be easier if we could change our passwords in a way that doesn't give us a runaround when trying to make it more manageable on portable devices or the like.

• Members
Well, sorry to hear about Dendy but honestly he was kind of given a litany of problems to resolve.

Hi all - probably one of the oldest old timers here. One of the biggest problems is just trying to get into the system in the first place. I seem to regularly have to ask HC to create a new password for me, this emails me a link which upon clicking gives me an utterly non-rememberable sequence of letters and numbers as a new password. Then you try to change your password to something more manageable it ends up refusing it (which is never clear why - it's certainly long enough and has upper and lower case letters and numbers) so I end up getting locked out shortly after trying to get back in. It's almost like HC doesn't want traffic. I finally just saved the current password in the browser I have on some specific computer but boy, the whole setup could be easier if we could change our passwords in a way that doesn't give us a runaround when trying to make it more manageable on portable devices or the like.

Dendy reported that there was a case reported of this, but we could not replicate. We VERY much want to fix this, but need more information to do so. Please enter a bug report in the newly Created Bug Report forum under the Community Voice category.

Thanks!

• Members

Other way around, 98% of visits are to the forums... and we use Google Analytics for our counter.

bieke strikes again with inaccurate information and FUD.

well Alexa is always wrong of course

but Google Analytics is also not accurate

post some stats and traffic numbers then

where_zps9hjciu5a.jpg

• Members
Take it from me...this update was light years ahead of both Jive and Lithium. For starters, the site didn't blow up when the flicked the switch...Jive was truly a horrible experience all around. Not only did it destroy the site, it was a scorched earth situation where picking up the pieces for subsequent attempts was exponentially more difficult.

It wasn't entirely their fault; a site like HC requires a huge amount of customization if you're going to do more than just run a BBS. Trying to work with off-the-shelf solutions was always going to be doomed, or at least run up against a limit. In a way Jive was in over its head ("well, we didn't really believe you had more traffic than Apple"). Nucleus is capable of doing the customizations needed for a site like this, but it takes time, effort, and support.

EDITED

:)

• Members

where_zps9hjciu5a.jpg

acepella.harmonycentral.com is subdomian and not the forums. In fact, that's odd that 1) it's getting almost 4% of the traffic and 2) that it's not being redirected.

• Members

Bookmarks and "memorized" links.

Yeah, we didn't know the domain even existed, otherwise we would have redirected it. We are looking into it. That would be great to get an instant 4% bump just for redirecting a previous/unknown domain

• Members

where_zps9hjciu5a.jpg

So as I said, our Google Analytics show that the forum gets 95%-98%+ of the traffic to the site.

• Members

So as I said, our Google Analytics show that the forum gets 95%-98%+ of the traffic to the site.

voila,4% extra traffic brought to you by misinformed bieke

good for the numbers

if everybody now would start posting

I admit I used to lurk for 2 years before joining in

• Members

What constitutes "Traffic"? Is that unique visitors? Or number of views which might just be the same 12 guys posting in the Political forum all day long?

And if the forum gets 98% of the site traffic, what does that say for the rest of the site? Is the review section hard to access? Poor SEO?

How many new visitors is the site/forum attracting and how long are they sticking around?

Archived