Audiopile DUS speakers

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
Quote Originally Posted by Tomm Williams View Post
Very interesting. Can you make any comparisons of sound? Better, worse or equal to say JRX?
Andy has some samples of the X models, and I believe he's made some comparisons. I'll leave the sound comparison judgments & opinions to others.

I've mixed Cliff's band while they were using his tower rig, and I say that system is difficult to compare to anything I've worked with in the past. Those types of tower systems (there's others on the market as well) seem to be a critter all unto their own. Specifically striking is how they perform in a lively room, being: "amazing". One of the pictures I posted in this thread of Cliff's tower rig was taken in a dome (Quonset hut style) construction gym... which I've been in... absolutely one of the worst acoustical environments imaginable (I'd think)... like if you listen close enough, you can still hear every sound that was ever made in that room facepalm.gif Anyhoo... that tower rig actually sounded good in that room, which up-until that experience, nothing was the only thing that I could imagine would even be palatable in that room... i.e.: a room that's an example of the ultimate diminished point of return in less being more. It leads me to consider the value of finesse over brute strength.

The one draw-back to the tower rigs I see is I'm of the impression they do have a glass ceiling, where if more is needed, there's only one way, and that's up, and you can only go up so-far.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Tomm Williams View Post
Very interesting. Can you make any comparisons of sound? Better, worse or equal to say JRX?
Andy has some samples of the X models, and I believe he's made some comparisons. I'll leave the sound comparison judgments & opinions to others.

I've mixed Cliff's band while they were using his tower rig, and I say that system is difficult to compare to anything I've worked with in the past. Those types of tower systems (there's others on the market as well) seem to be a critter all unto their own. Specifically striking is how they perform in a lively room, being: "amazing". One of the pictures I posted in this thread of Cliff's tower rig was taken in a dome (Quonset hut style) construction gym... which I've been in... absolutely one of the worst acoustical environments imaginable (I'd think)... like if you listen close enough, you can still hear every sound that was ever made in that room facepalm.gif Anyhoo... that tower rig actually sounded good in that room, which up-until that experience, nothing was the only thing that I could imagine would even be palatable in that room... i.e.: a room that's an example of the ultimate diminished point of return in less being more. It leads me to consider the value of finesse over brute strength.

The one draw-back to the tower rigs I see is I'm of the impression they do have a glass ceiling, where if more is needed, there's only one way, and that's up, and you can only go up so-far.

• Members

I ran all 3 models through a battery of tests, it's a good speaker for many applications. Excellent cosmetics, nice fit and finish, pretty good sounding boxes (very middle of the road, similar to the MRX-500 series), the only real drawback IMO is that these current models are made of MDF which makes them heavier and more fragile than I would like to see. Then again, if that's not an issue for you, it's hard to beat for the price.

• Members

I ran all 3 models through a battery of tests, it's a good speaker for many applications. Excellent cosmetics, nice fit and finish, pretty good sounding boxes (very middle of the road, similar to the MRX-500 series), the only real drawback IMO is that these current models are made of MDF which makes them heavier and more fragile than I would like to see. Then again, if that's not an issue for you, it's hard to beat for the price.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by agedhorse

View Post

This statement just pushed me real close to pulling the trigger. I was considering some used MRX 512's (was)

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by agedhorse

View Post

This statement just pushed me real close to pulling the trigger. I was considering some used MRX 512's (was)

• Members

http://www.audiopile.net/products/Sp...12_INSIDES.jpg

Looking at the crossover there seems to be 2 light bulbs to wick off the power should too much be applied to the boxes.

Are they soldered into place or can they be replaced in the field? One looks like it can be unplugged but with the other one its hard to tell.

Bulb type?

Doug

• Members

http://www.audiopile.net/products/Sp...12_INSIDES.jpg

Looking at the crossover there seems to be 2 light bulbs to wick off the power should too much be applied to the boxes.

Are they soldered into place or can they be replaced in the field? One looks like it can be unplugged but with the other one its hard to tell.

Bulb type?

Doug

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by RoadRanger

View Post

Might want to mention what they are made out of - it always seems like a "cover up" when they are MDF and it isn't mentioned.

I beg to differ. The cabinet construction, being MDF, is clearly listed under the specs on my website cut sheets, under cabinet construction: MDF

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by RoadRanger

View Post

Might want to mention what they are made out of - it always seems like a "cover up" when they are MDF and it isn't mentioned.

I beg to differ. The cabinet construction, being MDF, is clearly listed under the specs on my website cut sheets, under cabinet construction: MDF

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by W. M. Hellinger

View Post

Oops, I didn't see that the first time I looked on your website. Sorry if I seemed critical of them - just trying to mention what would scare me off if I didn't "know" you smile.gif . They seem to be a great alternative to the Yamaha Club series - specs look similar at a much lower price cool.gif . Any chance of a powered version?

I'm probably missing it also - but what is the diameter of the HF driver diaphragms ? LF Driver voice coils?

Archived