Audiopile DUS speakers

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Quote Originally Posted by RoadRanger

View Post

. It still amazes me that there are lots of bands hereabouts that "need" more than 110db at their ears from their monitors freak.gif.

Come to one of the shows I work and I will show you how loud monitors need to be to survive in this jungle!

• CMS Author

Quote Originally Posted by Vinny D

View Post

Come to one of the shows I work and I will show you how loud monitors need to be to survive in this jungle!

View Post

I think I'd stop a couple blocks away and put my earplugs in if I was coming to one of your shows LOL.

WWWDD (What Would WynnD Do???) biggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

• Members

View Post

IMO most 500w+ rated subs should be 4 ohms to better match the available lower priced amps frown.gif .

Nope, with bigger cheap amps it's too risky for speaker manufacturers. That's why we are seeing a shift back towards 8 ohm subs.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by agedhorse

View Post

Nope, with bigger cheap amps it's too risky for speaker manufacturers. That's why we are seeing a shift back towards 8 ohm subs.

Agree.

While perhaps not the most absolutely practical, it's what fits the expectations and availability of the market right now.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by agedhorse

View Post

I can't think of an amp that isn't stoopid expensive that would overpower a 4 ohm PRX418S ? Surely the 840W from an IPR3000 isn't too crazy for the 800w rated PRX418S ?

• Members

View Post

I can't think of an amp that isn't stoopid expensive that would overpower a 4 ohm PRX418S ? Surely the 840W from an IPR3000 isn't too crazy for the 800w rated PRX418S ?

Nope, but it's about right... And that's talking about a bottom-of-the market amp.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by RoadRanger View Post
Without proper processing, I would hesitate to recommend 800+ watts into that driver.

In fact, IIRC that driver's rating changed from 600 to 800 watts without any other changes. I reconed plenty when they were rated at 600 watts (from folks educated beyond their own intelligence), why would I expect any different with the new rating?

Even with the proper processing, you are well into the power compression curve at 800 watts. That's the point of diminishing returns.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by RoadRanger View Post
^ I was wondering where they got that 800w driver from without it being one of the differential drive ones. Kinda sad that more and more manufacturers are just making up their specs frown.gif .
Worse than that...

The sample I saw had a 2242HPL, but it looks like they are now using a Selenium 18SWS1000W (varient) which is rated in Brazilian watts at 1000, but 800AES. IMO, the AES number is a new rating scale that only requires survival for 2 hours. Frankly, I would find a 2 hour lifespan to be impractical in the real world. With the Xmax that's specified, without the proper HPF you will exceed LF-Xmax well before 800 watts. With the proper HPF and limiting, I would recommend around 800-900 watts. Without, stick closer to 500 watts.

Archived