Audiopile DUS speakers

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by agedhorse

View Post

Because people do not understand how the numbers work. Period.

A box that's a realistic (as in average, with the response in the +/-3dB range) 96dB/1W/1M, rated at a realistic power handling of 225 watts continuous (based on power compression curves) will compete quite well with many of today's exaggerated marketing claims. Powered at 350 watts (reasonable given the way the continuous power is rated, with proper HPF) is going to be pretty impressive. Folks do not understand the loss of sensitivity tradeoff that's made when trying to achieve higher numerical power handling. The point of diminishing returns bitch-slaps you time and time again in the design phase.

Looking at some of the specs from BagEnd products, their wattage ratings (on some boxes) are astonishingly low but their efficiency ratings are very high.

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

View Post

Do you mean MRX?

Yes, similar though the weight of the MDF is heavier. Sensitivity is within a dB or so, and power handling is about a dB shy as well (using my normalization to real world).

If you are in the area, give me a call and you can play around with them.

Let me give JR a call and see when we can make a road trip.

• Members

View Post

Do you mean MRX?

Yes, similar though the weight of the MDF is heavier. Sensitivity is within a dB or so, and power handling is about a dB shy as well (using my normalization to real world).

If you are in the area, give me a call and you can play around with them.

Let me give JR a call and see when we can make a road trip.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by tlbonehead

View Post

you sure are trying to bust ass over a sub $200 speaker.

Heck, why not? We're all here sitting around the table.

I don't mind... in-fact, it's all good. $200 or $2K speaker... it's all good conversation.

The devil is in the details... let's lay them out and talk about it.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by tlbonehead

View Post

you sure are trying to bust ass over a sub $200 speaker.

Heck, why not? We're all here sitting around the table.

I don't mind... in-fact, it's all good. $200 or $2K speaker... it's all good conversation.

The devil is in the details... let's lay them out and talk about it.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Tomm Williams

View Post

They look like an excellent match for my IPR1600's.

Yah, my monitors are about the same rating and the IPR1600's are plenty of overkill smile.gif . Just for yucks I once wired four of my monitors in series/parallel on an RMX850 which got them down to 75 watts each and the limiters were barely flickering when up at max GBF with "average" (AKA not particularly strong or weak) singers. It still amazes me that there are lots of bands hereabouts that "need" more than 110db at their ears from their monitors freak.gif.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Tomm Williams

View Post

They look like an excellent match for my IPR1600's.

Yah, my monitors are about the same rating and the IPR1600's are plenty of overkill smile.gif . Just for yucks I once wired four of my monitors in series/parallel on an RMX850 which got them down to 75 watts each and the limiters were barely flickering when up at max GBF with "average" (AKA not particularly strong or weak) singers. It still amazes me that there are lots of bands hereabouts that "need" more than 110db at their ears from their monitors freak.gif.

• Members

Well these are interesting. I have been researching (and listening) to numerous options for my new band. What would everyone suggest for subs with these? Say I bought two of the 12 inch DUS models for FOH duties and powered them with an IPR 3000 (or IPR 1600), would two PRX400 subs match up well? Or something else?

At this price point I have to at least consider the DUS speakers as an option. Previously I was planning to go with two JBL PRX612m and one PRX618XLF for FOH.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by vaughn4380

View Post

Well these are interesting. I have been researching (and listening) to numerous options for my new band. What would everyone suggest for subs with these? Say I bought two of the 12 inch DUS models for FOH duties and powered them with an IPR 3000 (or IPR 1600), would two PRX400 subs match up well? Or something else?

Where are you located? If you're looking for something in that class maybe someone here has something for cheap smile.gif . The PRX418S subs would be a bit of overkill for those tops but that's not a bad thing wink.gif. I'd use an IPR1600 on those tops and an IPR3000 on those subs.

Archived