Audiopile DUS speakers

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Quote Originally Posted by tsaldana3

View Post

Question....

Ok, so I have used for the past 4 years as monitors, 2 Behringer B212a and 2 Yorkville yx15p.

Would four of the 12 inch cabs and a couple of ipr's be a slight upgrade ?

My monitor amps are a pair of Peavey IPR1600's and I'm very happy with them. I do have a couple of these and if pack (and stage) space wasn't an issue I'd run six of them:

http://www.loudspeakersplus.com/prod...PI-CABSSL112M/

Advantages are lighter weight and plywood cabs. Disadvantages are no SpeakOns and no pole mounts - and I think the DUS's have stronger HF drivers and better support wink.gif . The DUS are still well under my 50 lb "not stoopid heavy" limit smile.gif .

OTOH the B212A (or newer "D") cabs are surprisingly decent sounding as monitors (they are biamp'd) and I'd not want to bet that the DUS or Loudspeaker+ cabs sound better. YMMV ...

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by tsaldana3

View Post

Question....

Ok, so I have used for the past 4 years as monitors, 2 Behringer B212a and 2 Yorkville yx15p.

Would four of the 12 inch cabs and a couple of ipr's be a slight upgrade ?

My monitor amps are a pair of Peavey IPR1600's and I'm very happy with them. I do have a couple of these and if pack (and stage) space wasn't an issue I'd run six of them:

http://www.loudspeakersplus.com/prod...PI-CABSSL112M/

Advantages are lighter weight and plywood cabs. Disadvantages are no SpeakOns and no pole mounts - and I think the DUS's have stronger HF drivers and better support wink.gif . The DUS are still well under my 50 lb "not stoopid heavy" limit smile.gif .

OTOH the B212A (or newer "D") cabs are surprisingly decent sounding as monitors (they are biamp'd) and I'd not want to bet that the DUS or Loudspeaker+ cabs sound better. YMMV ...

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Tomm Williams View Post
Andy. Does that mean you find the Impulse comparable to MXR? You made a comment about the DUS being on par with MXR
Do you mean MRX?

Yes, similar though the weight of the MDF is heavier. Sensitivity is within a dB or so, and power handling is about a dB shy as well (using my normalization to real world).

If you are in the area, give me a call and you can play around with them.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Tomm Williams View Post
Andy. Does that mean you find the Impulse comparable to MXR? You made a comment about the DUS being on par with MXR
Do you mean MRX?

Yes, similar though the weight of the MDF is heavier. Sensitivity is within a dB or so, and power handling is about a dB shy as well (using my normalization to real world).

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by agedhorse

View Post

Do you mean MRX?

I used to live in Mountain View, but I am now in CO which is a bit far or I would take you up on that offer smile.gif

• Members

View Post

Do you mean MRX?

I used to live in Mountain View, but I am now in CO which is a bit far or I would take you up on that offer smile.gif

• Members

^ Great test LOL. Dunno what the market is for passive monitors these days, especially ones only rated at 225W. While I'm sure they can get plenty loud enough things have gotten crazy out there - a general contractor with "only" a pair of "wimpy" IPR1600 doesn't get taken seriously hereabouts. RMX2450's seem to be the minimum with the hard rockers. Is that crazy or what? We had no problem in the bad old days destroying our hearing with a couple CS800's on the PA and a CS400 on monitors (100 watts per monitor) freak.gif .

• Members

^ Great test LOL. Dunno what the market is for passive monitors these days, especially ones only rated at 225W. While I'm sure they can get plenty loud enough things have gotten crazy out there - a general contractor with "only" a pair of "wimpy" IPR1600 doesn't get taken seriously hereabouts. RMX2450's seem to be the minimum with the hard rockers. Is that crazy or what? We had no problem in the bad old days destroying our hearing with a couple CS800's on the PA and a CS400 on monitors (100 watts per monitor) freak.gif .

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by RoadRanger View Post
Because people do not understand how the numbers work. Period.

A box that's a realistic (as in average, with the response in the +/-3dB range) 96dB/1W/1M, rated at a realistic power handling of 225 watts continuous (based on power compression curves) will compete quite well with many of today's exaggerated marketing claims. Powered at 350 watts (reasonable given the way the continuous power is rated, with proper HPF) is going to be pretty impressive. Folks do not understand the loss of sensitivity tradeoff that's made when trying to achieve higher numerical power handling. The point of diminishing returns bitch-slaps you time and time again in the design phase.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by RoadRanger View Post

A box that's a realistic (as in average, with the response in the +/-3dB range) 96dB/1W/1M, rated at a realistic power handling of 225 watts continuous (based on power compression curves) will compete quite well with many of today's exaggerated marketing claims. Powered at 350 watts (reasonable given the way the continuous power is rated, with proper HPF) is going to be pretty impressive. Folks do not understand the loss of sensitivity tradeoff that's made when trying to achieve higher numerical power handling. The point of diminishing returns bitch-slaps you time and time again in the design phase.

• Members

View Post

Looking at some of the specs from BagEnd products, their wattage ratings (on some boxes) are astonishingly low but their efficiency ratings are very high.

Archived