I killed the forum

Neal

• Members

If you fix it they will come ...

We are a small team and we are focused on improving. Much has happened this year. That said: It would be more helpful to get specific feedback versus-

"I think you have bigger issues than my iPad ..."

We are working specifically on mobile right now.

What additionally are you guys feeling is broken that needs attention? Please e-mail me a djarrett@harmonycentral.com

I will happily put any legitimate feedback on our docket of fixes and personally update you on the status on progress.

Ed, I have been saying that for 4 years and this past year ... they have listened. You'll note we are no longer on Jive or Lithium. We are back on a familiar platform, lock and experience. Yes, vB is buggy and we know it and we are working on our own "fixes" to the problems. Why? You guys all wanted vB back. We could have chosen another similar platform, but in all honestly, everything we have tried outside of vB has been (ehem) crappy, cumbersome and lack-luster.

Somethings that aren't available - multi-quote. Not part of the updated vB, but after we get things that are "major" problems corrected, we can start dialing in our own code roll for multi-quote. But in the grand scheme of things, multi-quote is a small hiccup compared to the last two platforms (that quite frankly even after a year of using either, I still didn't know my way around!) :)

So, we are here to help. Shoot me an e-mail. It helps us to know: What Device. What Platform Version (i.e.: iOS8?), what browser, and a screen shot of the issue if possible.

Thanks Guys! We'll get this!

D

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I am having issues with it loading on my (android 2.3.6 system) mobile phone. If I had to guess it seems to alternating between loading a mobile and desktop version of the site at the time as it is loading, with JavaScript enabled. If I disable it loads the desktop version more efficiently but cuts off the feature of being able to go to the last post so I would have to click on the subject then the last page to get to it. Only had a limited amount of time on the site though.

• Members
I am having issues with it loading on my (android 2.3.6 system) mobile phone. If I had to guess it seems to alternating between loading a mobile and desktop version of the site at the time as it is loading, with JavaScript enabled. If I disable it loads the desktop version more efficiently but cuts off the feature of being able to go to the last post so I would have to click on the subject then the last page to get to it. Only had a limited amount of time on the site though.

Reported and will be looked into first of the week. This is exactly what we need to know.

Thanks

D

• Members

What needs to be fixed?

1. We need the annex back along with the wonderful performances that were recorded on it. This is the prime reason many have left.

2. The members need to have their faith restored in the HC management. It has been destroyed by poor decisions and perceived lack of concern for the members. Software is not what makes a forum successful, members are. Lousy software just makes them leave.

3. You need to correspond with old members to try and get them back. A mass emailing from HC to the members telling them about the improvements might do wonders for getting them back.

BigAl

• Members
What needs to be fixed?

1. We need the annex back along with the wonderful performances that were recorded on it. This is the prime reason many have left.

2. The members need to have their faith restored in the HC management. It has been destroyed by poor decisions and perceived lack of concern for the members. Software is not what makes a forum successful, members are. Lousy software just makes them leave.

3. You need to correspond with old members to try and get them back. A mass emailing from HC to the members telling them about the improvements might do wonders for getting them back.

BigAl

BigAl:

I fixed your signature. If you'd like anything changed about it, ... let me know.

I will reach out to Craig Anderton about the Annex. I have been here (part of the forums - not management) since 2006 but I am unfamiliar with the Annex.

I totally agree about software not being what makes a successful community. The community is the people in it, and their level of passion about playing and making music. We are shoring up the software side and making many advances.

On the front of getting old members back ...

You guys can help with that. Reaching out to people who were once here and passionate about the community will go along way. We can send out e-mails all day, but HC's (prior management) have left such a bitter taste, that I suspect people would simply laugh off an e-mail. However, an e-mail or PM from a fellow community member, may be taken with a little more serious eye.

Al, again, I appreciate your feedback.

Respectfully,

Dendy

• Members
Well, I tried to get your sorry asses posting again with a bit of humor. We talked about how Dendy and the bunch messed it up a bit with the software changes, and how it wasn't necessarily them, but "us", that really stalled the forum. A few, well, one, trolled the post here in an attempt to bring back the bad old days of snark, and that didn't work like he'd hoped, but still reminded everyone that this ain't a safe place to speak. I did mention earlier that the software was the least of the problems here...and then realized that Dendy and crew had no intention of addressing the main issues. No, the old guard can go. Troll away, these guys have no concern with that behavior. The sooner I, and others, stop posting, the new batch of newbies can come in, passionately speaking of the finest in strings and accessories and techniques. But how the Dendys will handle the moderation of this new group, when it comes, should be a bit heavy handed if they want it to succeed. No one needs the sort of derision and insulting behavior that has been the hallmark of this particular forum. And still no paragraph separation with an iPad.

And I'm a troll, thought you wanted a truce. I guess since you deleted the post it didn't happen, just more of the world according to Neal

• Members

Come on guys, ... seriously. Neal: I have no history in the Acoustic Guitar forum, so unlike all of you guys, I know nothing of the "personalties" here. If something is bothering you or needs addressing, it the report button and I'll take a look at it or have one of the moderators.

As Ed points out, you guys just need a truce. (if that is indeed a sincere inquiry from him) There are people in all walks of life we aren't going to see eye to eye with, but that shouldn't stop us from participating in a place where we all share the love of making music.

And in the meantime Neal, the iPad fix is on the docket to be addressed.

As I pointed out above, you guys are the community (not HC.com)

Now, back to acoustic guitars ... :)

D

• Members

I still have browser timeouts regularly (>30% of the time) and when I try to post it usually just says "Working..." at the top. So I close the browser and when I log back into HC the post has been successful.

This is via IE11 and Chrome. I still come back to see how people are, but only when I'm feeling particularly patient and unstressed. This could never be my main forum again with the current performance and bugs.

• Members

Dendy,

1) Do not receive email alerts to my home email on all threads I post in. That is across all sections of HC not just Acoustic G.

2) The very first page looks bad when the words all run over each other. Just bad look in general but gives no confidence that the forum/admin knows how to make simply stuff look good.

3) At the top of each thread page it sould have the name of the thread you are reading whether it is page 1 or page 6. Also should be able to go to any page in the thread without having to go all the way to the bottom of the page to pick the page you want to go to.

Good luck...

• Members
I still have browser timeouts regularly (>30% of the time) and when I try to post it usually just says "Working..." at the top. So I close the browser and when I log back into HC the post has been successful.

This is via IE11 and Chrome. .

This is very helpful! Reported.

• Members
Dendy,

1) Do not receive email alerts to my home email on all threads I post in. That is across all sections of HC not just Acoustic G.

2) The very first page looks bad when the words all run over each other. Just bad look in general but gives no confidence that the forum/admin knows how to make simply stuff look good.

3) At the top of each thread page it sould have the name of the thread you are reading whether it is page 1 or page 6. Also should be able to go to any page in the thread without having to go all the way to the bottom of the page to pick the page you want to go to.

Good luck...

What browser are you on?

This is what this specific thread page looks like on a MBP on Safari. No words running together and if you look in the browser bar, you see that I am on the I-killed-the-forum/page 2.

Can you get me a screen shot of what you are seeing?

fetch?id=31270891

• Members

Dendy, I use Firefox...on a desktop.

How do I do a screen shot? My page does not quite look like yours. The words Subscribe and feedback and newsletter all run over expert reviews at the top of the page.

Just above at the start of the thread the words..."Posts" and "Latest Activity" are half hidden.

• Members

Win 7/ IE9 on a desktop PC

I posted screenshots and more feedback in another thread (see link below)

in summary :

I cannot edit posts

I also lost about 16K posts

I usually have 3 ads at the top and 2 at the bottom, basically an entire screen of ads to scroll through

User Reviews button (when in forums) does not work

in WIn 7 /IE11 I cannot add pictures with the Advanced Editor

also noticed :

the most users ever online counter is not working properly

users online list is inaccurate

in forums I get an additional scrollbar for the articles

the Who's Online link does not work

things that could be improved :

advanced search

spam control

• Members

Sigh. Would the real forum killer please stand up?

On the tech side of it, editing a post is a testy exercise at best. It can be done provided there's patience and a message worthy of the trouble. Truth is, though, if one's messages aren't worth the time to read much less post, like mine, one is better off getting the message down in a word processing program first and then pasting it here. It economizes the frustration on all parties.

Archived