It's all a load of sit

steve mac

• Members

it's tough for me to sit unless im playing drums... that said, i agree completely! if im singing i want to be standing up... not only for the breathing but there an energy about standing, that extra little push like when you get up on your toes to really belt it out, or shy back, playing with the proximity effect of the mic... i just feel like i perform better and have a better presence while standing... easily YMMV

• Members

I agree I would rather stand but, I have just ordered a Beet Root stomp box to go with my other two pedals and I feel like I am tap dancing some times plus, although I haven't tried it yet, I can imagine a bit of leg ache on the stomp throughout a whole song when standing.

• Members

sorry, it's just that sitting down makes me nuts... .. it's a different delivery... at least to my sense of feel it is... i saw jack tempchin perform "already gone"... a tune of his made famous by the eagles... he played the gig solo, standing and the delivery impressed further towards standing over sitting for me... the last dup i worked in i sat when i played drums because a djembe is just too heavy to wear and when i switched to guitar it was awkward because the other guitarist always sat down to play... he never worked clubs much since his early rock and roll days and almost exclusively plays restaurant type gigs now...

or ala john hartford... one could always soft shoe on a piezo board...

• Members

I watched the final of The Voice the other night and Blake Shelton sat on a tall stool whilst he played guitar and sang and he looked fine as well as being able to keep his feet on the floor, but I am just not that tall. I fear I will simply get lost in the crowd in some places I play if I sit in a normal chair. I wil wait until my new foot gear comes and see how it all pans out.

• Members

I've got a collection of stools that stay at home now days. A stool is just one more thing to transport, setup and put away. But if I start gigging a few nights a week again I may bring a stool. They come in handy when I'm too exhausted to stand all night.

I think you need to try out one or two for yourself and decide where you stand on th.. <(damn terrible pun). Another caveat: the butt can get tired sitting too long. Another option is a combination of standing and sitting throughout the gig.

• Moderators

I am actually going to get another stool (my old one recently surrendered to age and abuse... ;) ), a 30" folding metal one, where I can have the option of leaning/sitting or standing. Plus you can kind of 'perch' on a stool without being seated completely....but I still prefer to stand when I sing, and using teh harmonizer and looper and soon a beat buddy will definitely have me tap dancing a bit.

• Members

Last year, I had a gig where I needed to sit - house rules basically. I found that I was sluggish after the gig, because I was sitting all night. Then just recently I heard a radio piece on the CBC where they talked about how sitting for long periods can have an adverse effect on your body. It kind of rang true with what I had experienced.

Sometimes sitting looks better, like in a small restaurant, but I generally don't care and stand anyway. I know that I'm sometimesa a little too tall to be standing over a table of diners (6'1") but I play better standing, so that's what I try to do. On the very rare classical guitar gig I get, then I will sit, but that music kind of requires it - unless you're Jesse Cook, but that's not really classical anyway.

• Members

I prefer to stand, like others especially when singing and also for playing sax. I do bring a stool and use it if the song is going to require constant wah-way throughout the entire song. I had plantar fasciitis (heel spurs) and if I put all my weight on my left foot for 4 minutes, it takes days for my heel to heal.

I think sitting on a stool would be OK for some casual gigs, especially if you were sonic wallpaper -- but if you are the "entertainment" I think standing relays more energy to the audience.

Notes

• 1 month later...
  • Members

If I'm playing keys as a 'piano' player then I sit because of the pedal. If in a band setting then I prefer to stand and pretty much ignore the pedal.

When playing the keytar, I stand, it's just so much more fun and I can annoy the guitar players or even wander out into the audience (well, out front anyway), especially if I go wireless!

Oh, and I'm six foot five so no hiding at the back for me!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Archived