Is this normal???

race81

• Members

I think it's some what common knowledge that sex and drugs is associated with rock and roll. I don't smoke, but have no problems with those that do, and hope they do legalize. Since prohibition is forum of slavery, and nobody on this planet has the ownership rights to my own mind, body, and soul, and it's my own personal choice if I wanna consume weed or not ? but I choose not to, but have no right to stop others from doing so. Plus drug dealers don''t ask for ID's

• Members

There are three local musicians I occasionally play with that have their "cards". And yes, all three have legitimate medical need - those cards are quite hard to get here in CT. And all three say that playing music helps a lot with the pain too so I'm happy to help them out with that when I can :) . OTOH there was one audition a couple years ago I think I failed because I didn't participate in the half time "activity" LOL.

• Members
Hopefully they will legalize it all 50 states help out our deficit and put an end to "420".

I am living proof that you don't have to ever smoke Pot even if living in a State where recreational use is locally legal. (Really, I'm weird enough without drugs.)

• Members

Anymore, I'm pretty much a no tolerance for any kind of drugs at a gig type of person. Too many guys think they play better, when really, they don't. I don't mind as much in my deadhead band, but for my dance band where there is so much going on so fast, I need everyone, including me, to be at the top of their game. After the gig, or at home, whatever, I'm as ok as the next guy with it, but not when I'm working.

• Members

I am ok with the legality of it for health purposes......but what struck me as strange was the add looking for a musician that they want to be professional and serious but if you want to smoke weed and drink we are fine with it. To me the add would be a turn off for a clean musician that is serious. To me, I read it as they are already a bunch of users....Something tells me theyre old bass player "freaked out" about it and didnt want to be associated with that. I just found it interesting that a group would be so open about it........but I am an old fart....

• Members
I am ok with the legality of it for health purposes......but what struck me as strange was the add looking for a musician that they want to be professional and serious but if you want to smoke weed and drink we are fine with it. To me the add would be a turn off for a clean musician that is serious. To me' date=' I read it as they are already a bunch of users....Something tells me theyre old bass player "freaked out" about it and didnt want to be associated with that. I just found it interesting that a group would be so open about it........but I am an old fart....[/quote']

That implies a musician (or more broadly, anyone) cannot smoke pot and/or drink and be professional simultaneously. I think that while there may be some empirical evidence to support this assumption, it's certainly not a guarantee. I've been in bands where everyone drinks or smokes, and everyone was professional with respect to learning parts, practicing purposefully, and extending that attitude to the stage.

Perhaps they were just trying to get across the fact that they drink and smoke, and if you're not cool with that, you probably aren't a good fit for the band.

• Members

That implies a musician (or more broadly, anyone) cannot smoke pot and/or drink and be professional simultaneously. I think that while there may be some empirical evidence to support this assumption, it's certainly not a guarantee. I've been in bands where everyone drinks or smokes, and everyone was professional with respect to learning parts, practicing purposefully, and extending that attitude to the stage.

Perhaps they were just trying to get across the fact that they drink and smoke, and if you're not cool with that, you probably aren't a good fit for the band.

Suppose its the same with any thing that can be abused....depends on who it is. But as someone looking for a bandmember, that in my opinion is sometimes hard enough to find a good fit, why put that in the equation. I know a few professional road musicians, and its not something that is tolerated very well. I drink a few beers while playing, but if I were buzzed, I guarantee im screwin up stuff and I wouldnt realize it.

• Members

There doesn't seem to be much doubt that we're moving towards broad legalization of pot in this country. Whether that ends up being a good thing or not long term remains to be seen. As far as being intoxicated at gigs goes? That's rarely a good idea regardless of the substance of choice.

• Members

Suppose its the same with any thing that can be abused....depends on who it is. But as someone looking for a bandmember, that in my opinion is sometimes hard enough to find a good fit, why put that in the equation. I know a few professional road musicians, and its not something that is tolerated very well. I drink a few beers while playing, but if I were buzzed, I guarantee im screwin up stuff and I wouldnt realize it.

Hard to say why they made it part of the job description. The ad does state that the band "is for FUN," so perhaps that's a clue. At any rate, you're right - if they are going to be buzzed off of anything while on stage, they won't be on stage for long!

• Members

Doesn't seem like they made it part of the job description as much as they probably are just saying "hey, we smoke so you better be cool with it or don't bother to join this band."

Some people don't want to tolerate any sort of drugs or drinking at all. Either on stage or off. Best if everyone is all on the same page with this sort of stuff, IME.

• Members

I am ok with the legality of it for health purposes......but what struck me as strange was the add looking for a musician that they want to be professional and serious but if you want to smoke weed and drink we are fine with it. To me the add would be a turn off for a clean musician that is serious. To me' date=' I read it as they are already a bunch of users....Something tells me theyre old bass player "freaked out" about it and didnt want to be associated with that. I just found it interesting that a group would be so open about it........but I am an old fart....[/quote']

Believe it or not, it is entirely possible for someone to smoke weed, drink alcohol, and be the very professional in every sense of the word.

They say in the ad (not "add" BTW) that they are okay with weed (with is a soft drug) and light drinking, not heavy drinking and hard drugs. Sounds like they are *NOT* users and they are looking for someone that is *NOT* a user. Maybe your definition of "user" is different, but to most of the world is doesn't mean anyone that has ever done any drug. A user is someone with a drug problem. This band does not want someone with a drug problem, and it appears they do not have a drug problem themselves.

It is very smart for them to lay this out clearly in the ad. They don't want a hard drug user, or an alcoholic (which are sadly all too common in music), nor do they want someone that would take offense to their non-problematic and harmless drug use, such as yourself. This is exactly the kind of thing that should be in an ad for a musician; and you are a perfect example of why. You wouldn't be a good fit for them, and they also don't want the other extreme (someone with a drug problem). I would think they are more afraid of the other extreme than of you, since users are a common destructive factor in bands.

I'm sorry, but your views are not just out of touch, they are demonstrably false. If you ever put up an ad for a musician, and you do not want someone that partakes in any recreational drug use, I suggest you mention that in your ad. Being an old fart doesn't change anything. Responsible and professional people of every generation have used recreational drugs without it being a problem, and the same is true for people that do have a problem with drugs. This is nothing new.

• Members
There's also a point to being 420 friendly because you expect some of your audience to be smokers and drinkers' date=' and don't want to alienate them.[/quote']

Yea I've been invited to go burn one and not to mention all the drinks that have been bought for me.

• Members

Believe it or not, it is entirely possible for someone to smoke weed, drink alcohol, and be the very professional in every sense of the word.

They say in the ad (not "add" BTW) that they are okay with weed (with is a soft drug) and light drinking, not heavy drinking and hard drugs. Sounds like they are *NOT* users and they are looking for someone that is *NOT* a user. Maybe your definition of "user" is different, but to most of the world is doesn't mean anyone that has ever done any drug. A user is someone with a drug problem. This band does not want someone with a drug problem, and it appears they do not have a drug problem themselves.

It is very smart for them to lay this out clearly in the ad. They don't want a hard drug user, or an alcoholic (which are sadly all too common in music), nor do they want someone that would take offense to their non-problematic and harmless drug use, such as yourself. This is exactly the kind of thing that should be in an ad for a musician; and you are a perfect example of why. You wouldn't be a good fit for them, and they also don't want the other extreme (someone with a drug problem). I would think they are more afraid of the other extreme than of you, since users are a common destructive factor in bands.

I'm sorry, but your views are not just out of touch, they are demonstrably false. If you ever put up an ad for a musician, and you do not want someone that partakes in any recreational drug use, I suggest you mention that in your ad. Being an old fart doesn't change anything. Responsible and professional people of every generation have used recreational drugs without it being a problem, and the same is true for people that do have a problem with drugs. This is nothing new.

I dont believe it....many professional jobs out there that I would in no way want someone using.....any drug! Cant imagine school bus drivers using at any level on any drug..(and im sure some do). I understand that in different areas of the world this might be somewhat normal....but where I am from, the midwest in the U.S.A its not. I look at these "ads" as I know friends that might be looking for work. This is the first "ad" I have run across that mentioned it so openly. I was born in the 60's so yes I know musicians have been known to indulge. BTW its not legal in our state where this "ad" was placed. So saying my visual of it, is false or out of touch is not true in my little section of the world. Never said it couldn't be normal other places......just have never seen such an "ad". What type of drug is "with" anyway? Thanks for pointing out that I added an additional "d" in the word "ad" there also........I may have caused mass hysteria there. Welcome aboard!

• Members

I dont believe it....many professional jobs out there that I would in no way want someone using.....any drug! Cant imagine school bus drivers using at any level on any drug..(and im sure some do).

Question just for the sake of discussion: I'm sure everyone would agree that we should not accept a school bus driver operating that bus under the influence of any drug. HOWEVER, what if that school bus driver partook of the herb on a Saturday night? This would have no influence whatsoever on his ability to safely do his job come Monday morning. Would you be cool with that?

That's my problem with "drug testing". Aside from alcohol breath or blood tests, today's drug tests cannot determine if someone is CURRENTLY under the influence...only if they've indulged in cannabis in the previous 30 days or so. Ironically, hard drugs (chemicals) tend to leave the system quickly and are therefore difficult to identify with typical drug tests.

I guess I'm of the mind that if someone is an adult that isn't hurting another nor taking what doesn't belong to them, the law should not get involved. When it comes to personal property (like someone else's school bus...or crane...or whatever), I think it's fine to require that the operator not be under the influence...but what he did on his own time? That's nobody's business, IMO.

Archived