What skills are in demand?

Chordite

• Members

Checking out Mark's recent post brings up the question of multi talents. We are a guitar forum, fair enough. But what do you actually have trouble finding for your band?

I doubt it is guitarists or bass players!

Living in the country I find good drummers difficult to find locally and also good flexible vocalists. At the amateur level I work at I have lost count of the number of "vocalists" who audition like girls singing into their hairbrushes.

I have ended up doing vocals myself in the last three endeavours which is cool for songs that suit my voice (Doors through Gordon Lightfoot etc') but it limits the repertioire. I really enjoy it but you ain't gonna get The Immigrant Song :)

So for me Drummers are a minor difficulty and flexible singers a major rarity.

Okay it doesn't matter in the average bar but I have found that when you start recording these things become an issue.

So what do you guys have the most trouble finding to get a functioning band?

• Members

I've never been able to find any drummers or good bassists to play with. Usually, the bassists can play songs, but they don't know scales and pretty much follow the guitar parts. I've only been in one band with a drummer. I've met one drummer since I've been in college, and he and I were not matching personality types.

• Members

Being a drummer I find "good drummer" a very difficult and discipline intensive endeavor. Also most partime giggers just want the drummer to cover for the lack of star quality in the vertical ranks. A drummer in this type of organization is relegated to excitement bozo. Loathsome and second to the difficulty factor in reasons for bad drummers.

• Members

Oddly enough, I've had an impossible time finding a guitarist. All the guitarists we audition either don't know when not to play, have so much bass in their tone as to completely drown me (the bass player) out, or just lack general creativity. People who play the guitar are a dime a dozen, but finding a musician seems impossible.

• Members

Finding good people to work with is more difficult than finding good musicians to work with.

Building a band takes good people skills and teamwork, things that are getting harder to find in our

online PC generation seeking instant fame and gratification. The first thing I look at is weather I can work

with someone for 6 months 3 nights a week in a pressure driven work routine which is the normal time span

it takes to put together a decent 4 sets for a working band. Beyond that I look at their skill level and potential to grow.

If either of those things don't pan out, then its unlikely I'd be wasting my time building a band. I've spent too many years

working with musicians who didn't have what it takes to build and maintain a good band and stick with it once it was working.

The music part is much easier if youre working with a mature people instead of kids chasing unrealistic dreams. The dreams are

important for motivation, but the baby steps it takes getting there do take their toll and given the large egos involved, people are

more likely to bail out and take what looks like a short cut instead of standing firm and fighting to get there.

As old BB King said, "Give me a Man and I'll make a great musician out of them". He's a guy who would know better than most

because of all the musicians he has taught during his career.

• Members
Finding good people to work with is more difficult than finding good musicians to work with.

Building a band takes good people skills and teamwork, things that are getting harder to find in our

online PC generation seeking instant fame and gratification. ...

+1.

Archived