OT: NFL Football 2005-2006!

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Originally posted by Counterpoint

We right coasters refer to that alley as the West Side Highway, and you guys are gonna get your fairy California a$$e$ run over by a cab.

At least among this motely crew, we're all Javits veterans. Most of us manage to escape the show unscathed. Except...

I got to see our moderator inadvertently slice his hand open with a box cutter at the Javits Center, perhaps 8 years ago, while getting ready for the AES show. He then got to experience the fun of NYC's public hospital system. Joy of joys!

Luckily, as a keyboard demo guy, he didn't really need that hand. Oh, wait, he actually did.

- Jeff

• Members
Originally posted by Jeff da Weasel

He then got to experience the fun of NYC's public hospital system.

No, I didn't. I just butterflied it and we were good to go.

BTW - steadyb is riffing on our good buddy Curve Dominant, who threatened to come to NYC and take him out behind the Javits kick his ass over (IIRC) a sports thread. :rolleyes:

Of course, ol' Curvy never showed... ;)

dB

• Members
Originally posted by Curve Dominant:

I'll tell ya what, little man. If you're such a f*cking hotshot, we all KNOW that you'll be in NYC for the AES meeting in September. I will be there, too. You and I will face off in an alley by the Javitz Center, and you can call me some of those names to my face, and we'll see what your face looks like after we leave that alley.

:)

Ahhhh, the good ol' days.

Later, of course, Dave "Ham Hands" Bryce ruined a track of his and the fun started all over again.

...good times.

• Members
Originally posted by Dave Bryce

No, I didn't. I just butterflied it and we were good to go.

Really? I thought that, well, with the blood pooling around and whatnot, that stitches were required.

Nice. :eek:

Anyway, I just checked the schedule, and on the Sunday of AES (10/9), the Raiders have their bye week! YES!

However, da Iggles are playing Dallas that day. You might not want to miss that.

- Jeff

• Members

Giants-Jets tonight. No Eli, though.

Oddly, the most interesting thing about this game is that it is another check of Pennington's arm health. I root for Chad. Everything about his game is so excellent--except arm strength, in which he must rank approximately last in the league. Yes, squarely last in the league, I'd imagine. Speaking of the Jets, Geoff, add CP to your list of absent KC footballers.

Raiders remain of interest to me 'cause I'm a Kerry Collins fan. He ought to have a lot of fun his year, throwing the ball downfield to Moss and Porter.

I'll go on record with the fairly modest prediciton that Kerry Collins will throw for 4000+ this year.

If anyone wants to challenge me on this, maybe we can end up with a bizarre three-way inconclusive wager like the one Dan South, Griffinator and I had last year. Somehow, I think each of us ended up owing the other two a six pack of local microbrew...

• Members

What *IS* the latest on TO? And what's up with Hines in Pittsburgh? With all of the holdouts and the crying over steroids, I haven't been able to stomach Sports Center since the end of the NBA playoffs. I need the Readers' Digest version.

Are we having a suicide pool this year?

- The artist formerly known as D.S.

• Members
Originally posted by Jeff da Weasel

I just checked the schedule, and on the Sunday of AES (10/9), the Raiders have their bye week! YES!

However, da Iggles are playing Dallas that day. You might not want to miss that.

Yeah...like I have a choice. You wanna work the ADAM booth for me that day? ;)

Originally posted by Counterpoint

Are we having a suicide pool this year?

Definitely. I'll put up a thread soon.

I mean...c'mon...what would football season be without the pool? :eek:

dB

• Members

Back to FOOTBALL. I watched the end of the second quarter, and all of the second half of the game tonight. Steelers looked LAME. They lost of course. Steelers got a TD off an interception, and also had a field goal. The Redskins were moving the ball on Pittsburgh. So much for defense winning games all the time. Big Ben was 6-15 with an interception. Passing game? Redskins had one. Bettis had a problem and came out, Cowher sat Willie Parker because he's their "only" healthy running back.

I think it could be a LONG season for my men in Black and Gold. :rolleyes:

Mike T.

• Members
Originally posted by Miket156

Back to FOOTBALL. I watched the end of the second quarter, and all of the second half of the game tonight. Steelers looked LAME. They lost of course. Steelers got a TD off an interception, and also had a field goal. The Redskins were moving the ball on Pittsburgh. So much for defense winning games all the time. Big Ben was 6-15 with an interception. Passing game? Redskins had one. Bettis had a problem and came out, Cowher sat Willie Parker because he's their "only" healthy running back.

I think it could be a LONG season for my men in Black and Gold.
:rolleyes:

Mike T.

I'm not getting my hopes up, Mike. The Steelers have ZERO offense. Big Ben's going to take a lot of sacks this season, because he has no one reliable to hand off or pass to.

• Members

I am playing Yahoo fantasy football in my office and we are drafting Monday.

Any predictions in the top 5 offensive teams this year ?

I know the raiders well. The rams always go for offense.

What about Bledsoe ? will Parcells let him an the receivers loose ?

Thanks, guys

• Members

Counterpoint:

Without a decent running game, Steelers will have to throw more, and Ben and the receivers are not on the same page. That interception he threw last night was something of a hail mary, and even I could have intercepted that giift. That looked like a rookie throw to me. Other bonifide targets are having a hard time "locating" the ball. Ward will contribute, maybe Wilson too, but they need to pound the ball or be a single dimensional team depending on the passing game. :rolleyes:

GregC: The reason Bledsoe isn't with the Patriots anymore (aside from the CAP$$) is he's always had to the tendency to throw the interception with the game on the line. Bledsoe is older and wiser, but I doubt he's taking Dallas to the SB anytime soon.

Need a running back for your fantasy team? Take Julius Jones of Dallas. He's a good one and he should have an excellent year. I don't play fantasy football but if it were me, I would take Jones. QB? I'd punt. ;)

Mike T.

• Members

Not a good night for QBs in NY last night either.

Pennington showed the rust he didn't show last week. Two really lousy INTs. Dumb plays. Not what you expect from Chad. But it's preseason, right?

With Eli out, the Gints started Tim Hasselbeck. He showed some promise early on, but seemed to regress as the game went on. Backup QBs shouldn't be a work in progress. I think the Giants should dump Jesse Palmer (#3QB aka The Bachelor) and give Testaverde a call.

Some good stuff for the Gmen: Kicking game! Rookies! Strahan!

Anyone see the Eagles game? The TO highlights were pretty impressive. The Saga continues.

• Members

Originally posted by GregCh

I am playing Yahoo fantasy football in my office and we are drafting Monday.

Any predictions in the top 5 offensive teams this year ?

I know the raiders well. The rams always go for offense.

What about Bledsoe ? will Parcells let him an the receivers loose ?

Thanks, guys

I'd say the Chiefs will remain a prodigious offensive team.

• Members

Green Bay had the top scoring offense in the NFC last year (424 points). Minnesota was second (405 points). However, both teams were bested by the following AFC powerhouses:

Indianapolis (522 points)
Kansas City (483 points)
San Diego (446 points)
New England (437 points)

It's hard to predict who will improve and who will decline this year, so make of that what you will.

Best,

Geoff

Archived