OT: NFL Football 2005-2006!

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
Originally posted by steadyb

I'm fine with picking vs. the point spread, but I already made this weeks picks based on straight/no spread.

But how do you want it to be? I'm not sure what your vote is.

Originally posted by steadyb

If we play this week no spread, can we switch to point spread starting next week?

I'm pretty sure we can go back and forth, but I'm not interested in doing that. I'd rather get everyone's opinion up front and let the group run itself.

• Members

Ok, the voting deadline has expired and we have spread winning 6-5. If jackpine and Geoff come in and say they both want straight up, I guess we should do that.

Otherwise, as it is and will be, ALL PICKS WILL BE BASED ON THE SPREAD!!!

Here are the rules/examples of making picks with a spread.

Steady (and anyone else that ignored the spread), you will have to redo your picks. I'll send you a PM if we don't hear back from you.

Remember, the pick'em group uses the line from Thursday to score the picks.

Good luck and may the best man win!

(...still time for new members...)

• Members

Originally posted by Jeff da Weasel:

Let's use the spread.

For folks who have never done any gambling, it'll be a good lesson (no one in the real world makes straight-up money bets on football). For folks who've done it before, it'll give you something extra to consider when making your picks.

That's a convincing argument, Jeff - I vote in favor of using the spread.

Best,

Geoff

• Members
Originally posted by meccajay:

Geoff, Don't fret about them Packers.. Playoffs or not, you'll still have some incredible memories this season watching one of the all time great QB's in action. Favre always comes around!

Between Steve McNair and Brett Favre, our waning teams still have sparks of greatness in the QB position. :)

Best,

Geoff

• Members

Man, the announcers on CBS today were repeating like a mantra, "No team that started 0-2 last season went to the playoffs." At least they would sometimes offset that grim remark with acknowledgements that the current level of NFL unpredictability may negate that from coming to fruition this year.

The problem with 0-2 Green Bay right now is that their offense isn't what it used to be but their defense is. The other problem with Green Bay right now is that they're not a summer team. The Packers have two glimmers of hope left: 1) They started 1-4 last year and still made the playoffs and 2) Their division doesn't appear to be as good as advertised, so they could still possibly make the playoffs with a mediocre record - that is, if they improve to a mediocre record.

Grumble, grumble... :mad:

But how about those Titans? And how about Carolina's belated revenge for 2003's Super Bowl?

Oh, and the Denver "Brownco" defense sure was a lot of fun to watch in the second half today!

Last but not least, to finish on a positive note for Green Bay: Brett Favre broke John Elway's single-stadium NFL touchdown record of 180 and also joined Dan Marino and Elway in the 50,000-yard passing club in today's game! :cool:

Packers.jpeg
GO PACKERS!!! :cool:

Best,

Geoff

• Members

Geoff,

You are right about your division. I dont see anyone stepping out of the pack right now. The Vikes are pathetic (5 interceptions by Culpepper today?), the lions are the lions, who knows what to think of the Bears but they are certainly not world beaters.
At least you have a solid veteran QB to steer the ship.

The Pats were due for a let down. Carolina was home and highly motivated.

What really impressed me (and scared me) is how well Indy's defense is playing.

• Members

Good week indeed for sum, badd badd BAD for other.. So it goes on the NFL. Yes Im giddy cause my Titans played over there heads and came up with a W. Eagles soared and well they should. Here are some other thoughts about yesterday..

--1st lets state the obvious.. The Bengals are kicking ass & taking names!

--Harrington needs to go sit down somewhere. I'm so tired of the excuses that follow Joey H. year in, and year out.. The experiment is over. Never has 1 player slowed a team down more than this.. Get well soon Jeff Garcia.

--RockXtreme, you were so right about your Bucs, Very impressive!

--I know the Vikings miss Moss, but I don't know who is missed more, the departed O.C. or Randy Moss.. From what Ive seen in the massive levels of offensive confusion, the O.C. is prolly missed a bit more.

--Daunte Culpepper, you've had 8 picks and god knows how many fumbles in 2 weeks?? Yes I know you miss Moss, and the offense has gone to {censored}, but Pep, you know how to throw the ball away or take a sack if you have to...go sit your ass down somewhere til you get it together!

--Whatever Peyton Manning's Cryptonite is, The Jaquars have buckets of the stuff, and they apparantly have held the patent for it the last couple years. Hey Indy, it's nice to have Edgerrin James as a plan-B huh?!

--Dom Capers, go sit down somewhere! That team in Houston is talented, and you sir are there weak link.

--Ive been watching the Panthers games for 2 weeks now, and despite the week 1 loss, all I can say is we all better pray there not on our teams reg season schedule...there just plain scary!

--And just who would have thunk the Chargers being 0-2?

• Members

Yeah, you know, the Panthers' domination of the Pats was worse than the score suggests. Jake Del Homme made one of the worst passes I've ever seen--or best, from Mike Vrabel's perspective--to account for NE's only 2nd half touchdown.

Sure you could argue that was counterbalanced by Brady's fumble deep in NE territory, but that was a great defensive play by Rucker/Peppers. The Vrabel int was just an inexplicable gaffe by Del Homme, a freebie that, usually, would cost you the game against a team like NE.

I like the Bengles and want to see them do well, but let's hold the horses a bit. Palmer sure does look like he's arrived, though.
Still waiting on Carr and Harrington;)

Go Giants!!!

• Members
Originally posted by meccajay

--Harrington needs to go sit down somewhere. I'm so tired of the excuses that follow Joey H. year in, and year out.. The experiment is over. Never has 1 player slowed a team down more than this.. Get well soon Jeff Garcia.

You have to feel sorry for the Lions and their fans. They have three of the most talented young receivers around yet nobody to throw them the ball. If Harrington cant hit these guys he needs to hang it up. When is Jeff due back? Hopefully soon enough to salvage the season.

--RockXtreme, you were so right about your Bucs, Very impressive!

So far so good! :D

--I know the Vikings miss Moss, but I don't know who is missed more, the departed O.C. or Randy Moss.. From what Ive seen in the massive levels of offensive confusion, the O.C. is prolly missed a bit more.

You have to believe its a little bit of both at this point. Dante looks absolutely lost. I've never seen such a complete breakdown in an offense in just 1 year.

--Whatever Peyton Manning's Cryptonite is, The Jaquars have buckets of the stuff, and they apparantly have held the patent for it the last couple years. Hey Indy, it's nice to have Edgerrin James as a plan-B huh?!

Poor Edgerin. On most other teams he would be touted as the future hall of fame back. In Indy he gets to carry Peyton's jock strap around. He must not have much of an ego to be a superstar willing to play second fiddle on order to help a team win.
Don't forget that D. The Colt's defensive upgrades put them as the team to beat in my book.

--Ive been watching the Panthers games for 2 weeks now, and despite the week 1 loss, all I can say is we all better pray there not on our teams reg season schedule...there just plain scary!

Is it me or does DelHome do it with smoke and mirrors? He never seems to look that good. He is always stumbling and off balance. He heaves up a lot of ducks. Yet he keeps winning. I just cant bet the farm on this guy.

Archived