OT: NFL Football 2005-2006!

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
Originally posted by Jeff da Weasel

AFAIC, Rosenhaus typifies EVERYTHING that's wrong with pro sports today. He should be shot, except that would be too good for him.

...not to mention being a waste of a bullet. ;)

Originally posted by Geoff Grace

Two words:

Ryan Longwell

53 yards, in the rain.

Tell me about it.

I feel for Kaeding today. He'll be lucky to have a job at the beginning of the season, I think...especailly on top of his miss at the end of the Jets game last year.

It'll take some serious mental toughness for him to overcome this; plus, you've gotta figure the Chargers confidence in him has got to be...shall we say...shaky.

dB

• Members

Nate Kaeding's three field goal attempts were all from 44-46 yards out and in the rain.

Any good kicker can miss a field goal under those circumstances. But to have missed all three attempts and then to be shown up by the opposing team's successful 53-yard attempt must have been humiliating, especially considering this was Kaeding's first game back after having missed a 40-yard attempt in overtime during the Chargers' playoff loss to the Jets last season.

I feel for him as well, Dave; and I hope that he can return to form before he loses his gig.

Best,

Geoff

• Members
Originally posted by Dave Bryce

So...

Any NFL fans in the house?

I've got two teams I root for:

RAIDERSLOGO.gif17150161691.gif

...oh yes, I also root for anyone who's playing against the Dallas Cowboys...
;)

Pre-season is less than a month away. I'm already psyched...
:cool:

dB

I grew up in Eagle land and have been a fan since before all the players wore face guards. T.O. is a spoiled brat displaying behavior of a nine year old. He is also extremely gifted at getting open, catching the football and marking some yards after the catch. Thanks to his new agent, his career with a good franchise is over. If he wants to play football this year he'll either have to snap out of it, dump his agent, honor his contract, make a public and sincere apology to his team mates and fans, and privately kiss every ass in the locker room. Of course he will do none of these things. So its on to Baltimore or Atlanta or wherever. All I can say is "Remeber the Dallas game last year, asshole."

• Members

Originally posted by mongrel876

I grew up in Eagle land and have been a fan since before all the players wore face guards. T.O. is a spoiled brat displaying behavior of a nine year old. He is also extremely gifted at getting open, catching the football and marking some yards after the catch. Thanks to his new agent, his career with a good franchise is over. If he wants to play football this year he'll either have to snap out of it, dump his agent, honor his contract, make a public and sincere apology to his team mates and fans, and privately kiss every ass in the locker room. Of course he will do none of these things. So its on to Baltimore or Atlanta or wherever. All I can say is "Remeber the Dallas game last year, asshole."

T.O. will probably end up with the rest of the degenerates in the DaaRaaiders:D

Just think about it, T.O. and Randy... talk about an extreme case of "Gimme the damn ball!"

LOL

j/k

• Members
Originally posted by tucktronix

Just think about it, T.O. and Randy... talk about an extreme case of "Gimme the damn ball!"

LOL

j/k

Hell no. What a nightmare. I could see TO actually intercepting the ball from Moss and running back TDs for the opposing team just to prove a point. ;)

- Jeff da Radahs Fan

• Members

What's really odd is that TO is making Randy Moss look like a mature team player.

How long before they make a TO reality show? Of course that would be an upgrade from the pathetic media coverage he's receiving already. The helicoptor coverage was just way too bizarre.

The regular season can't come soon enough.

• Members

Nate Kaeding's three field goal attempts were all from 44-46 yards out and in the rain.

Any good kicker can miss a field goal under those circumstances. But to have missed
all three
attempts and then to be shown up by the opposing team's successful 53-yard attempt must have been humiliating, especially considering this was Kaeding's first game back after having missed a 40-yard attempt in overtime during the Chargers' playoff loss to the Jets last season.

I feel for him as well,
Dave
; and I hope that he can return to form before he loses his gig.

Best,

Geoff

Yep, I'm wondering if we're looking at another Mark Wohlers situation here. Wohlers being that Braves closer who gave up the winning home run to the Yankees in the World Series and could never throw a strike again after that.

I feel better about the Chargers' depth at RB, QB, and LB. Turner looks capable of spelling LT on occasion. Rivers needs to keep shaking off some rust but should be fine. We need to sign Gates and get Nate's head back on straight ASAP.

• Members
Originally posted by tucktronix

T.O. will probably end up with the rest of the degenerates in the DaaRaaiders:D

:eek:

No no no no please no...the Raiders don't need another egocentric jerk - they have more than enough of those. ;)

Nah - what I want for TO is for his career to be over. I want the Eagles to cut him, and for no one to pick him up.

It'd be kind of a shame from the standpoint of the game losing a truly gifted athlete...but the message it would send would be wonderful.

Oh yeah, I forgot...after TO ends up out of the game, Rosenhaus needs to get fired for his colossal screwup and end up manning the Fry-O-Later at McDonald's.

Hey, I can dream... :D

dB

• Members

TO's about 30 years old. But, a lot of GOOD receivers play well beyond 30. BUT, his time on the field will come to an end sooner because of his freakin' "Me Me" mentality. I don't see Philly fans putting up with his crap for very long. I hope he's unemployed soon.

I'm still taking side bets that despite all the money he's earned, he'll piss it away before he's forty. :rolleyes:

Mike T.

• Members
Originally posted by steadyb:

Ahh, but the Seahawks thumped the N.O. 'aints good.

...And tonight, Nawlins came back to beat the defending champs 37-27.

My fellow Arizona State University alumnus, rookie defensive end Jimmy Verdon, iced the game for the Saints on a fumble return. :cool:

Best,

Geoff

• Members
Originally posted by steadyb

Gee, nice 3rd qtr by the Raiders...
:rolleyes:

I finally understand, after all these years, that pre-season is completely meaningless. The only saving grace for preseason is as follows:

1. You're jonesing for ANY football by August, and a fake game beats no game.

2. You know you won't have an opportunity to get to know the third-stringers during the regular year, but want to have some idea of what they're like so in case an injury happens, you'll know what to expect from your backups.

THAT'S ALL. In looking at pre-season history, there's very little correlation between a team's pre-season and regular season performance. Plus, the teams and the league make tons more dough with more pre-season games than without, so I guess there's some real benefit somewhere, to someone.

GO RAIDERS

- Jeff

• Members

You get to see future Hall of Famers take the field as pros for the first time.

You know, Geoff, that's totally valid. But then, sometimes you get misled. You'll see a rook with a great pre-season performance, only to be given a shot in the regular season and get their clocks cleaned. I sometimes think that pre-season contests are played as a psychological game to give rookies a false sense of having made it when that may not at all be the case.

The only pre-season games I give any creedence to is the last one before the season. That doesn't mean the others aren't fun to watch, in their own way. I just don't make the mistake of reading too much into them anymore.

- Jeff

• Members

Something else that comes into play during preseason games is not only the teams play everyone to see what tbey can do, but that also keeps things simple in play calling, and defensive schemes. One demonstration of that took place the first year that Kordell Steward was given the QB job with the Steelers. In the first 4 preseason games (Steelers won all of them), he actually looked like a QB. However, in the first regular season game Pittsburgh played against Dallas, he got his clocked cleaned by a then, very good Dallas defense. Pittsburgh was embarrassed. When asked about "what happened", ole gun packin' Barry Switzer said that Kordell looked good in preseason because defenses were just playing basic coverage packages against him and even Kordell could play QB against those coverages. But when the "Real football" started, Kordell looked like the rookie QB he was. Welcome to the NFL.

Now, on to "real" players. Hines Ward ended his 15 day hold out, which accomplished nothing. He deserves a better deal, but holding out didn't do anything for Hines other than keep him rested. Are you ready for some FOOTBALL? :cool:

Mike T.

• Members
Originally posted by Miket156

Now, on to "real" players. Hines Ward ended his 15 day hold out, which accomplished nothing. He deserves a better deal, but holding out didn't do anything for Hines other than keep him rested. Are you ready for some FOOTBALL?

Mike T.

Yep! Big Ben knew that he was coming back, only a matter a time.:)

• Members

I sure am enjoying this four days of football per week schedule; and tonight (Friday) we have not one, but two games to choose from.

It was good to see Rich Gannon in the booth for the Vikings/Jets game just now too.

Here's another nice thing about preseason - I can root for Minnesota without worrying about how a Vikings win will affect the Packers.

Okay, back to the game. :)

Go Vikings!!! :cool:

Best,

Geoff

• Members

I'm a Rams fan, and like most fans and most NFL cities, the buzz is the Rams will be improved this season, enough to be one of the top 4 teams in the NFC....hmmm....well, we'll have to wait and see on that. Usually the reality doesn't live up to the optimism, but every season seems to have a few surprise teams. Both ones that do remarkably better then expected - 99 season when Rams won superbowl, 2001(?) season when Patriots beat Rams in superbowl (for Patriots); and teams that do remarkably worse then expected. Who will be this years surprise teams? Thats one of the factors that make football so interesting. The team that was supposed to be great that sucks horribly, and the team that was supposed to be a bottom dweller that wins the Superbowl.

• Members

Considering the NFL is a professional sport, some of the roller coaster records of teams is still surprising. The first year the NE Patriots won their SB was followed by a season that got off slow and they didn't even make the playoffs. This year could be challenging for them, but they still have a core of good players. They have some BIG shoes to fill in the defense.

The Cincinnati BUNGLES should start to live up to their promise this season. They were expecting to reach the playoffs and maybe compete in them last season, but went 8-8 and were eliminated the last week of the season. It's tough to be a Bungles fan. Some sportcasters are picking them to win their division this year. The road to the division title goes through Pittsburgh, so the Steelers will have something to say about the division title. Can't wait!

Mike T.

• Members

Go Vikings!!!

The Vikings looked pretty good in the post-Moss era. With the exception of some typical pre season holding calls, their first team offense moved the ball pretty well. I think Daunte Culpepper is going to have another huge year with a wider variety of weapons. Rookie Troy Williamson made a couple of nice catches. The first team defense shut the Jets down for the first two series. This team will be there in late January.

Barring injuries, the Jets should be there in late January as well. Pennington lofted a 50 yard pass, albeit incomplete; his shoulder is alright. They should also have DE John Abraham in camp soon; they need him. I'm curious to see Ty Law in action, hopefully next week.

• Members

Moss apparently has not stood out this preseason, but then again, my Chargers' LT has one but carry (albeit for 55 yards and a TD :D) for the preseason so far and Gates (another Pro Bowler of ours) is going to miss the entire preseason plus the season opener vs. Dallas. Back to Moss... our secondary is our D's weakness, so every pass attempt against us us an adventure, whether we're defending Moss, Lelie, etc. All of the Rams TDs were off long pass plays.

I can't wait to see more of Merriman in action. Two tackles for a loss in a row is a fine preseason debut.

• Members

Yeah, so far Randy hasn't shown his stuff, but it's still the pre-season. Hopefully he'll settle in and get moving over the next couple of weeks.

At least he hasn't performed like Alex Smith, perhaps the soon-to-be most expensive back-up in the league? :o

--Mark

Archived