OT: NFL Football 2005-2006!

• Members

Rich Gannon retires. After 17 years, kinda of a quiet way to go, but he really did a great job during his time. Really, in my mind, the only good choice he had at this point. However, it is the official passing of the baton (which, in fact, had really already passed).

BTW, anyone catch the vid of All with the bandage on his nose? He kinda looked like an alien. :D

--Mark

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

So did anyone here watch yesterday's preseason opener? After six months of no football, it sure was good to see a game again!

I thought Atlanta's second string offense dominated Indianapolis's first string defense. Make of that what you will. :o

Falcons' backup quarterback Matt Schaub threw two touchdown passes in the first half; and in some ways, he looked better than Michael Vick. But then again, Vick is still trying to adapt his style of play to the team's west coast offense, whereas Schaub spent his college years west coast style.

At least if Vick forgets he's not a running back and gets injured again this year, it looks less like that would spell disaster for Atlanta. Who knows? The Falcons just may put together their first back-to-back winning seasons in franchise history. (Apparently their dubious streak, now at 39 years, is the longest in pro sports history, surpassing even baseball's Cleveland Indians!)

It was too bad to see Vick's opening performance end in a penalty and Peyton Manning's in an interception, but such is preseason.

Next up:
Chicago vs. Miami - Monday, August 8th in the Canton, Ohio Pro Football Hall of Fame Game
and
San Diego vs. Green Bay at Lambeau field - Thursday, August 11th

...and then the first solid weekend of football! :cool:

Packers.jpeg
GO PACKERS!!! icon14.gif

Best,

Geoff

• Members

Originally posted by Red Winger:

Rich Gannon retires. After 17 years, kinda of a quiet way to go, but he really did a great job during his time. Really, in my mind, the only good choice he had at this point. However, it is the official passing of the baton (which, in fact, had really already passed).

Sad to see Gannon go out with a whimper rather than with a bang.

He may not have been one of the all time greats, but he'll be remembered.

Best,

Geoff

• Members

Tonight, we'll get our first glimpse at how well Chicago and Miami really did in the draft. (Both teams supposedly did pretty well.)

Will the Dolphins be inspired by Dan Marino's induction into the Hall of Fame and carry the day, or will the return of quarterback Rex Grossman tip the balance in da Bears' favor?

Will the game be a typical preseason snooze fest, or will we be so starved for football of any kind that we won't care? :p

We shall see...

Best,

Geoff

• Members

Miami has me inrigued because of Saban, and the return of Ricky Williams. It should be interesting, at least for a half. I find the only preseason games I really enjoy are the ones involving my teams (NY). It's difficult to find other team's third stringers/roster battles of much interest.

On another note, I see the Eagles now have Owens and Westbrook in camp. Now let's see if they all play nice.:p

• Members

Who Dey!!

Looking forward to a great year from the Bengals.

I think they have a lot of depth, and I believe Chuck Bresnahan will fire up the D to stop the Bus and Jamal in the division play.
Opposing D"s will have to deal with Carson and company who came on strong at the end of last year. I think they will be in the playoffs this year.

15 long years of waiting, in Marvin we trust

:(

Greg

• Members

Originally posted by Geoff Grace

San Diego vs. Green Bay at Lambeau field - Thursday, August 11th

Wonder if Gates will be signed by then?

Currently holding out for a long term contract. Despite this, I'm looking forward to seeing our 2005 picks (Merriman, Castillo, Jackson, Sproles, etc.) in action.

• Members
fridge.jpg

You're lookin' at the Fridge,
I'm the rookie.
I may be large, but I'm no dumb cookie.
You've seen me hit, you've seen me run,
When I kick and pass, we'll have more fun.
I can dance, you will see
The others, they all learn from me.
I don't come here lookin' for trouble,
I just came here to do
The Super Bowl Shuffle.

• Members

He may not have been one of the all time greats, but he'll be remembered.

When Gannon got to the Raiders, he was pretty much considered a washed-up QB. It turned out he was one of those guys that just needed the keys to the Jeep to excel.

I've ripped on Gannon a lot, but I do feel that if it hadn't been for the shoulder and neck injuries, he'd have been a strong competitor for the past couple of years (like he was during his MVP season).

Thanks for the memories, Rich!

- Jeff

• Members
Originally posted by Jeff da Weasel

I think you have more to be hopeful about with the Bengals now than in any time frame since Kenny Anderson was QBing.

(sigh) Geez, I'm getting old.

- Jeff

Jeff, many Bengal fans believe it was the curse Bo Jackson. The last time they were in the playoffs was the time they tackled Bo and ended his career with Daraders.;)

• Members

TO is a big f-ing baby.

BETHLEHEM, Pa. -- Philadelphia Eagles wide receiver Terrell Owens argued with head coach Andy Reid at a team meeting Wednesday and left camp.

It was not immediately known if Owens was told to leave or left on his own accord. Owens then got his belongings and cleared out of Eagles training camp at Lehigh University, according to two television reports.

I'm at the point where I'd be happier if this guy never plays football again. I hope they boo the crap out of him AT HOME when the season starts, assuming he's actually playing football like he's being paid to do.

- Jeff

• Members

Originally posted by Jeff da Weasel:

It was not immediately known if Owens was told to leave or left on his own accord.

For what it's worth, the news report I heard (on KNX 1070 News Radio) said he was told to leave.

My guess is Owens's greatness as a player and difficulties in human relations come from the same fire in his belly. In other words, I think they're two sides of the same coin.

Best,

Geoff

• Members

Originally posted by Jeff da Weasel

You have to ask if one side is worth the other.

That's a good question, not only for any prospective team to ask, but also for TO to ask himself.

If I'm right, then he's alternately rewarded and encouraged or criticized and punished for the same character trait, depending upon how it manifests itself.

If so, then he might be better off quitting football and examining, with a qualified therapist, what's eating at him.

The NFL is much better equipped to treat players with physical problems than it is to treat players with emotional problems.

Unfortunately, both sets of problems can occur. As a fan, I've been annoyed by TO's attitude and emotional outbursts; but as a human being, I'm also concerned for him. I wonder if he has a form of mental illness.

Best,

Geoff

• Members

Live half time interview with TO coming up...
;)

What a jerk.

Actually, he pales in comparison to his agent, IMO. Rosenhaus is a serious asshole, and if he's not careful, his client is gonna end up without a job.

dB

• Members

Originally posted by Dave Bryce

What a jerk.

Actually, he pales in comparison to his agent, IMO. Rosenhaus is a serious asshole, and if he's not careful, his client is gonna end up without a job.

dB

AFAIC, Rosenhaus typifies EVERYTHING that's wrong with pro sports today. He should be shot, except that would be too good for him.

- Jeff

Archived