OT: NFL Football 2005-2006!

• Members

Quote by Jeff da Weasel:
---------------------------------------------------------------------
In other news, the Raiders' regular season schedule is RIDICULOUSLY tough.
---------------------------------------------------------------------

Yikes, there's a good chance da Raiders will be 0-3 for starters. Here's hoping you catch the Pats nappin' and send 'em home packin'. :)

Mike T.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

That is a nasty schedule. Possibly the toughest division too. I'm curious to see if San Diego can do what they did last year.
I'd love to see the Raiders beat NE in the opener.
I'd also love to see them lose on New Year's Eve.

Bring on the Games :cool:

• Members

Actually Football is just another 'dumb' sport that promotes violence and alcoholism, two parts of our culture i try to avoid, who really cares who wins the Superbowl? Plus if you look at it closely, its a very homo-erotic sport: a bunch of guys running into each other, patting each others butt, tight-ass uniforms, etc....

• Members

This time, it's Ted Johnson. A 10 year pro and an important leader in the New England Patriot LB corp retired. So both "Ted's" are gone. In the case of Bruschi, for this season. Johnson said he has been concerned by the number of concussions he's had since playing football and decided to pack it in while he can. Multiple concussions sustained over a long period of time can cause permanent damage. Now maybe some teams will be able to run on them. ;)

Mike T.

• Members

Bad news:

MIAMI (AP) -- Philadelphia Eagles defensive end Jerome McDougle was shot in the stomach by armed robbers, police said Friday. The team said he was in good condition after surgery.

He originally was listed in critical condition. However, Derek Boyko, the Eagles' director of media operations, said McDougle had spoken to team officials and was walking around his hospital room.

"Our understanding is that Jerome is in good condition after undergoing surgery," the team said in a statement. "At this time, we are still in the process of gathering the facts of his situation. Our thoughts and prayers go out to Jerome and his family."

Get well soon, Jerome. :(

- Jeff

• Members
Originally posted by Miket156

There is little or no hope for Owens. He's not "normal". He needs to stay on his medication and go to counseling twice a week and he might make it through another season.

I guess that's where fugitives from the rubber room go when they're also an athlete, the NFL. Maybe Oakland would have been a better place for him. California is better equipped than PA to handle idiots.
:rolleyes:

Mike T.

hey bro, how ya been ? TO has to be the center of attention. " High maintenance"
is too kind of a term

• Members

Hey Greg:

Doin' OK. Owens is a plague that spreads his poison where ever he goes. He's 32 years old, and he won't be spreading that poison all that much longer. Receivers need to have speed, and when that starts to go on Owens, he will be relegated to the dumpster, like the rest of the big mouths who's skills vanished along with their high salaries. :rolleyes:

Word is the Eagles aren't going to flinch. He'll play or sit with the contract he has. :cool:

Mike T.

• Members
Originally posted by midi

Actually Football is just another 'dumb' sport that promotes violence and alcoholism, two parts of our culture i try to avoid

If it's part of the culture that you're trying to avoid, you might want to consider staying clear of this thread... ;)

who really cares who wins the Superbowl?

Pretty much everyone (other than you) posting in this thread does... :p

Plus if you look at it closely, its a very homo-erotic sport: a bunch of guys running into each other, patting each others butt, tight-ass uniforms, etc....

Actually, if you look at it closely (or, more accurately, take the time to understand it), football is arguably one of the more cerebral of the professional sports. Quite a lot of planning goes into play designing and play calling - I believe moreso than in any other of the major sport.

I've heard football called "chess with pads". Frankly, I agree with that... :cool:

....oh, and thanks for coming into the thread where people who enjoy the sport are discussing it just so you could piss all over it. :rolleyes:

dB

• Members
Originally posted by Miket156

Word is the Eagles aren't going to flinch. He'll play or sit with the contract he has.
:cool:

I hope they don't budge, and I'll be really surprised if they do.

Not only are his demands not justified (he did what he was already being paid $49 million to do - be a superstar), but I think that were the Eagles to capitulate, it'd set an ugly precedent that would have nasty repercussions for the other teams.

dB

• Members

Quote by db:
---------------------------------------------------------------
I hope they don't budge, and I'll be really surprised if they do.

Not only are his demands not justified (he did what he was already being paid $49 million to do - be a superstar), but I think that were the Eagles to capitulate, it'd set an ugly precedent that would have nasty repercussions for the other teams.
---------------------------------------------------------------

I was reading on a number of Sports websites about the TO situation and other NFL owners have been lobbying Philly to hold the line with Owens. They know what could happen if Philly were to give in and give Owens even more money. So Philly is standing pat. If TO doesn't show up for camp, its going to cost him.

I'll be willing to make a side wager that no matter how much money Owens makes in his career, he'll be broke before he's 40.

Mike T.

• Members

I think TO picked the wrong team owner to start screwing with. I believe there are other teams that would capitulate, but Lurie would gain nothing but respect by not budging an inch for this overindulgent piece of crap.

TO's immense talent is NOT enough to account for his reprehensible behavior. this whole "I'll show up for camp but i won't be happy" attitude really pisses me off.

- Jeff

• Members

I'm sure many of you football fans already know that the illustrious Hines Ward, 4 time Pro Bowl player for the Steelers, has decided to hold out. He did not report to training camp yesterday.

Throughout Ward's career, he has BEEN Steeler football. Trains hard, plays with a passion, stays in top physical condition, dishes out punishing blocks, fights for every yard when he gets the ball, and unlike some other "famous" wide receivers in the NFL, doesn't take a play off. He's 29 years old and has been the ultimate "Team Player" for the Steelers. He's on the last year of his contract and wants a bigger payday. Last season he got 1.66 million to play, and ranks 37th among veteran WR in compensation. Dan Rooney said they would make Ward their number one priority to get signed when the season ended last year. What does the Steeler front office do? Offer Ward a very "backloaded" contract. Ward wants more guaranteed money, a bigger signing bonus. The Steelers have rejected that notion, they know that none of these contracts are "guaranteed", so they're continuing to nickel dime Ward and are going to do the same thing they did to other players after age 30, cut him when he can't play up to the level he has, or when they think he won't. Best example, Rod Woodson. Jerome Bettis has been the one recent exception, because he has showed up for camp in better and better physical condition in the last several years than ever, and continues to play at a high level. But age will always win that battle eventually.

I know teams have to be manage the CAP like any business has to manage their money, but the Steelers are nickel diming their most productive and BEST player. He's a team leader that everyone looks up to. Can't put a price tag on that, but apparently the front office has. The Steelers are taking a hard line towards Ward not reporting and won't negotiate further until he does. Fans and players alike are UPSET with the Steelers front office. We may have start referring the Pittsburgh front office as the STEALERS. :(

Mike T.

• Members

I went and watched the Pats practice yesterday. It was great fun!

TE Ben Watson looked great, Troy Brown made some nice catches from Brady and Doug Flutie scrambled for a 1st on 3rd and 2 during the two-minute drill.

Still no Richard Seymour...

• Members

Originally posted by daklander

Go Chargers!

Merriman is finally about to sign! Castillo is already signed - now lets see if our pass rush gets better as adverstized.

Now all we have to do is lock up Gates to a long term contract. Not worried about Jackson still unsigned as we still have McCardell, Caldwell and Parker.

• Members

dabowsa:

Hey thanks for that first hand review of the Pats. There's been several articles on the Internet sports sites about the challenges the Pats face this year. They lost both "Ted's" and of course Seymore is holding out for $$$, like my favorite Steeler Hines Ward. But the Pats still have a good core of players, and I still say they're the Champs until someone beats them on the field, just as I did last year. They have a knack of capitalizing on the other team's mistakes and winning when it counts.

Their margin could be razor thin this year, and being that they only beat Philly 24-21 in the SB last season, it should be an interesting season. :)

Mike T.

• Members

Sports Illustrated did a list of 15 breakout players to watch for this year. I'm happy to say one of them was Lamont Jordan.

As they correctly (IMHO) pointed out, teams are going to be so focused on Moss and Porter catching the long ball, Jordan might make for the not-so-secret weapon of the Raiders this year.

GO RAIDERS

raiders.gif

- Jeff

• Members

Sorry, dB...

BETHLEHEM, Pa. -- Philadelphia Eagles wide receiver Todd Pinkston ruptured an Achilles tendon in practice Friday and is out for the season.

Pinkston injured his right ankle when he was tripped up on a route down the sideline. He remained down for several minutes before limping to the medical tent. A few hours after the injury, the team said he was out for the season.

Ouch. That's gotta hurt.

- Jeff

• Members

Nice...

ALBANY, N.Y. (AP) -- Giants tight end Jeremy Shockey got into a fight with two Jets players on the second play of a joint practice between the teams Saturday that also featured an argument between Giants coach Tom Coughlin and Jets defensive coordinator Donnie Henderson.

capt.njnew10108062128.giants_jets_brawl_

- Jeff

Archived