Most Famous band you've been in or opened for

• Members

Originally posted by gil1

Hey, dixxon, I don't know if the BoDeans still have the same manager, but the man who managed them when we played with them was realy remarkable.

He was a great guy, a great manager and in a wheelchair.

I thought that was increadably brave of him to go on tour managing a band in a wheelchair. I sure wouldn't have the guts to do that.

Unfortunately...they had a falling out with their Manager. There was a fairly well-publicized legal battle a couple years ago that involved (what else) money that the band was owed. Also their original bass player (Bob Griffin) left the band after 20 years. He's a family friend and I haven't tried to pry into what happened out of respect.

• Replies 320
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Oh, also did a festival with Muse, Metallica, Flaming Lips, Strokes and a bunch of other stuff. Not really an opening slot of what not but watched Faming Lips from the side of the stage with the Muse guys.

Originally posted by Fourth Floor

Some really impressive lists here...

International bands I've played with are:

The Tea Party

Counting Crows

Badly Drawn Boy

Teenage Fanclub

Turin Brakes

(got booked for Muse and then canned 2 weeks out by the management co. of Jet/The Vines forcing their lame act on the tour.)

bunch of Aussie stuff you've probably never heard of:

John Butler Trio

Alex Lloyd

Eskimo Joe

The Sleepy Jackson

You Am I

george

Shihad

Magic Dirt

...heaps of other aussie bands of note.

• Members

Originally posted by dixxon

Unfortunately...they had a falling out with their Manager. There was a fairly well-publicized legal battle a couple years ago that involved (what else) money that the band was owed. Also their original bass player (Bob Griffin) left the band after 20 years. He's a family friend and I haven't tried to pry into what happened out of respect.

Oh, that's a drag. I was impressed by that guy, mostly because I though it took a lot of nerve to tour in a wheelchair.

• Members
Originally posted by preservation

mono, appleseed cast (2x), ex-models (blargh!), OXES, ted leo & the pharmacists, engine down, cerberus shoal, the american analog set, trans am, etc.

that was all over 2 yrs ago-

this fall, new band, new shows...psyched.

damn dude! I would love to open for ted leo or american analog set...thats badass :thu:

• Members

Dredg, GWAR, Our Lady Peace (Clumsy Tour), Self, Powerman 5000, Static X, P.O.D., Blue October, Circa Survive, Bowling for Soup, Soulfly, Hatebreed, TWO (feat. Rob Halford & John 5), 2 Skinnee J's, The Urge, Kottonmouth Kings, Full Devil Jacket, Finger Eleven, Pigmy Love Circus (feat: Danny Carey), RA, Relative Ash, 8 Stops 7, Drown, Primer 55, Deep Blue Something, Deathray, Woven, Loudmouth, The Feds, Cougars, Summerbirds in the Cellar..

• Members
Originally posted by gil1

Oh, that's a drag. I was impressed by that guy, mostly because I though it took a lot of nerve to tour in a wheelchair.

It's sad but typical of the business..I think the manager's name is Mark McCraw. He got them signed to Warner Brothers Records back in 1986. Believe me...a local band from Waukesha, WIS. getting a major label deal was unheard of at the time. Still is ! They were also in TIME magazine. By the way...I have found many wheel-chair guys to be a fearless breed of individual.:thu:

• Members

Gin Blossoms a few months ago, I had an acoustic gig later so I didn't even stick around to hear them. Really had no desire to either.

My old band opened for Dillon Fence (the singer from Hobex's old band)

Also my singer for my current band, Evan Olson, was signed to Universal Records a few years ago and had a song on the radio called "So Much Better". He also played in a Band with Ben Folds (Majosha) and played with Bus Stop who had some regional fame and guitarist, Snuzz, went on to play with Bed Folds on the Rock'n the Suburbs tour. Ben's Brother Chuck Folds also played bass for Bus Stop.

.......nothing anyone really would care about, but you asked.

• Members
Originally posted by voerking

wilco, deerhoof, ween, luna, fugazi, excuse 17 (carrie's band before sleater-kinney), melt-banana, US Maple...lot's more...these are all bands i've opened for,,,

:love: Ooooo nice! Them some good bands. I am a huge Fugazi fan. Did you get to hang with them at all?

My band opened for Tracii Guns this year :o:confused:.
So yeah..we're lame, not musically, just ya know.

We were asked to open for The Gin Blossoms but declined because we don't fit in and they want us to sell a minimum of 100 tickets!! Can the Gin Blossoms even sell 100 tickets anymore?? :confused:

The guy who started recording our CD just got signed to Columbia and went to LA to record his album. His band is called 'What About Frank' and they kick ass. They are changing the name bit I don't know to what yet.

• Members

Originally posted by guitarchris

Also my singer for my current band, Evan Olson, was signed to Universal Records a few years ago and had a song on the radio called "So Much Better". He also played in a Band with Ben Folds (Majosha) and played with Bus Stop who had some regional fame and guitarist, Snuzz, went on to play with Bed Folds on the Rock'n the Suburbs tour. Ben's Brother Chuck Folds also played bass for Bus Stop.

.......nothing anyone really would care about, but you asked.

No way, that's cool. I am a big Ben Folds fan.

• Members

Originally posted by mumford

No way, that's cool. I am a big Ben Folds fan.

Me too, he and Evan haven't talked in quite a while... so I haven't gotten to meet Ben yet. I did get to go over to Robert Sledge's Brothers house for a party one night, lol.

• Members
Originally posted by guitarchris

Me too, he and Evan haven't talked in quite a while... so I haven't gotten to meet Ben yet. I did get to go over to Robert Sledge's Brothers house for a party one night, lol.

Did you take a trip and climb a tree?:D

• Members

When I was in college I used to jam with Susan Tedeschi every Sunday at Johhny D's in Somerville MASS.

Then I moved to Austin, I played with a rapper called Overlord. We used to open for Coolio, and Kid Rock. We also did some shows with Run DMC and KRS One, who is IMO, the black version of Elvis. Patrice from RockStar sat in with us a lot.

In those days, I opened for Eric Johnson a few times. Jammed with Ian Moore, Monte Montgomery, and Double Trouble.

Then, in the biggest WTF head trip I've ever had, I found myself playing in regional country bands working with: Cory Morrow, Pat Green, Kevin Fowler, real old school country at the time...

Then found myself playing with Grammy winner Rick Trevino opening for:
LeAnn Rhimes, LoneStar, Kid Rock (country? :rolleyes: ),Ronnie Milsap, Lee Ann Womack, Clint Black, Robert Earl Kee, Los Lobos, and a whole lotta super lame artists that I can't remember.

As far as recording, I've gotten to work with some really great Producers/Engineers:
Dave McNair (SRV, Mellencamp, Los Lobos)
Lloyd Maines (Dixie Chicks)
Mark Needham (Fleetwood Mac, Paul Simon, The Killers)
Mike Glines (Rod Stewart, staff engineer for Columbia Records)

I'll leave you with one thought though, I remember playing to audiences of 15,000+, and my thoughts were, "Well, here I am. God, I hate this song..." Life changing moment to be sure!

Since then I mostly do session work, and I'm working on my own record. Good times... :)

Archived