Most Famous band you've been in or opened for

• Replies 320
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I wouldn't hardly consider any of these bands famous, but my old hxc punk band from about 2 or 3 years back here in houston opened for a tour which included Underoath, Atreyu, 18Visions, and Himsa. We also opened for Between the Buried and Me, Alexisonfire, Kid Dynamite, It Dies today, and a handful of others.
I know, all of these bands are small flashes in the pan, but we sure thought it was cool at the time ha. Actually, 3 or 4 of those bands mentioned have a huge draw now.

• Members

My old band Jackals (no, not the chainsaw band. We played in N.Y. circa '80 thru '86) consisted of:

Tony Harnell (TNT)
Brian Coady (Jesse Evans)
John Tempesta (The Cult)
and me! :)

We weren't famous or anything like that but amassed a nice following.

Oh...in L.A. I did a gig with The Troy Horne band and we opened for Corey Feldman's band! :bor:

• Members

sonaboy,
I've been meaning to ask.
is your avatar a snap from the rubber johnny video chris cunningham did for aphex twin? the parts of the video that might be from were the only parts not in night vision so i dont really know.

• Members

Agent Orange
Mondo Generator (Nick Oliveri Kyuss/QOTSA)
Michael Graves (ex-Misfits)
Laura Viers
Steve Barton (Translator)
Oslo (Gabe Mc Nair from No Doubt)
The Cause (Kendal Jones from Fishbone)
Blag Dalia (Dwarves)
Tri Polar (Craig Montoya from Everclear)

We're talking about doing a west coast tour with Gene Loves Jezebel and we may get to open up for The Church here in SF.

An old band of mine that I used to play bass for opened up for Jonny Lang.

• Members
Originally posted by jasonfuzz

No way! I love the High Llamas!

*puts gil1 in the book of awesome*

Um, I bet you love the Sean Hagan High Llamas.

I was in the DC High Llamas. But we had the name first :mad:

• Members
Originally posted by Barnabyhuggins

High Llamas?!?

gil1, these High Llamas?:

B0000CD5GZ.01._AA240_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Uh, no, I shouldn't have mentioned the name, cause it would trigger that.

But it was the coolest name for a band.

• Members

Originally posted by The Friendly Ranger

Yeah, he's a singer/songwriter/keyboard kind of guy. I haven't really gotten to know him yet. I've only played with him on a few occasions over the past year but never knew he was since I'm not a native Alabaman (only been here 15 years). I was curious, did some research and found out about Hotel and all the bands they toured with. When I saw your list I figured your paths may have crossed at some point. His website says that he did tour with Mothers Finest and the Dregs. Here's an excerpt from his site:

Played several colleges in the southeast with Hotel and Split the Dark

Toured with Hall&Oates, Little River Band, 38 Special, Poco, Wet Willie, America, Atlanta Rhythm Section, and The Dixie Dregs

Opened for Toto, Leo Sayer, Mother's Finest, and Charlie Daniels

It's really weird but as a church musician I've had the opportunity to gig with guys like this that did the rock 'n' roll thing but came back home and settled down. It's funny to be doing a gig with someone and find out that they toured with a major artist or that they were Ty Tabor's guitar tech. The cool thing about it to me is that they are just down to earth people that are fun to play with and joke around with.

I sent my old Bass Player an email.He might remember.He was the socialite.I never got High or went to the after parties.My only vice was Practice and females.;) Maybe we did meet.I have met so many folks over the years,jammed,etc hung out ,went guitar shopping etc..But you are right.We all put our pants on the same way..Only true jerk I ever met or worked with in my life was David Allen Coe."I kept my promise David"

One person that left me speechless was Mr. James Burton..Maybe it was because of Rick nelson and seeing him with Elvis in Hawaii,bt my legs turned to jello..He laughed,I sat down,we talked..I'll never forget that.Me Speechless...:D

• Members

I played in a couple of bands in the late 80s/early 90s that opened for some bands that most people probably haven't heard, but I was excited at the time so I'll list them anyway.
Dagnasty
The Didjits
Soul Side
Ignition
Codeine
I think that's it except for local bands.

Archived