Most Famous band you've been in or opened for

• Replies 320
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Originally posted by The Honourable MOC

Some here must have reached some sort of obscure level of fame and or opened for more famous acts.

Do tell....

I'll play.

K.C And The Sunshine Band AND Gloria Gaynor.

There, I have said it!

• Members

My old band and I opened for quite a bit of "cool bands". It always happened that in the middle of our first couple songs the bar would come in front of the stage. At the end of our set they'd return to the bar to return for the next band and immediately go back to the bar. We have video footage! It stroked my ego so much that I am taking a break from playing live. :) Wow here my ego goes again! We never opened for any important bands like Fugazi or Sleater Kinney or anybody. But our band did make quite an impression, too bad our singer liked drugs and my drummer and bass/keys player started dating eachother. :(

• Members

Ok, I think I win. Not!!!!

A long long time ago in a galaxy (Salinas Texas, Military base club thing!) far away, my band opened for the reformed "Iron Butterfly"

I thought for sure that was the name of the town, Im searching and checkin to be sure.

• Members
Originally posted by Non-Digital Tom

All back in the '90s at Toad's Place in New Haven... Squeeze, They Might Be Giants, Jonathan Richman, Adrian Legg
:eek:
(I had no business opening for him). Damn, I'm forgetting a couple...

Squueze and Richman?
NICE!
You are shower vocalist!
:thu: :thu:

• Members
Originally posted by sonaboy

opened for:

Killdozer

My Life With the Thrill Kill Kult

ILYA

Nashville {censored}

Sleep

Agent Orange

The Vandals

ALL

Puddle of Mudd

The Living Blue

HUM

The Joykiller

Kill Creek

Paw

The Esoteric

VAZ

Coalesce

Season To Risk

Shiner

Wow. Just Wow!!1111!!:eek: I dig an awful lot of those bands.

• Members

Originally posted by RamaLama Fafafa

I played in a couple of bands in the late 80s/early 90s that opened for some bands that most people probably haven't heard, but I was excited at the time so I'll list them anyway.

Dagnasty

The Didjits

Soul Side

Ignition

Codeine

I think that's it except for local bands.

Damn...Dag Nasty and the didjits are among my all-time favs. The first soulside record (less deep inside, maybe??) was excellent also.

Must have been wicked to play those gigs.

• Members

I opened for Soul Side twice, in two different bands. The first time was on a farm in front of a barn. The stage was a hay covered flatbed truck and the guy's father (whose farm it was) was wearing a Minor Threat T-shirt.
The Didjits show was on New Year's eve and was also a Squirrel Bait (local band with some recognition) reunion show.

• Members

I opened for Soul Side twice, in two different bands. The first time was on a farm in front of a barn. The stage was a hay covered flatbed truck and the guy's father (whose farm it was) was wearing a Minor Threat T-shirt.

The Didjits show was on New Year's eve and was also a Squirrel Bait (local band with some recognition) reunion show.

We opened for Soul Side at the Bayou once.

Are you from DC?

• Members

Cool, Wild about the barn show :)

As for S. Bait: {censored}, Sun God was like a theme song for me when I was still in School. Played the hell out of both records.

• Members

Our old drummer played with a lot of people in the 70s. His big "brag" one was he played on Dream Weaver. We're 20 years younger, so we teased him about it a lot. Eventually we had to let him go for being 1) an asshole, 2) Not being able to play the material accurately. We played a couple times with a guy who toured with Chuck Berry. I played with the sax player from the 50s movie Where the Boys Are. When I was trying to play jazz I played with a lot of much older guys.

I could mention the bands I opened for, but none of them are all that interesting, except maybe Gooding.

• Members

I once opened for Widespread Panic in New Haven, CT.

Once John Mayer opened for me when we were kids in Fairfield, CT. The place was a {censored}hole called Giovanni's and it's now called Blackrock and Blue. Total class.

• Members

Some really impressive lists here...

International bands I've played with are:

The Tea Party
Counting Crows
Badly Drawn Boy
Teenage Fanclub
Turin Brakes

(got booked for Muse and then canned 2 weeks out by the management co. of Jet/The Vines forcing their lame act on the tour.)

bunch of Aussie stuff you've probably never heard of:

John Butler Trio
Alex Lloyd
Eskimo Joe
The Sleepy Jackson
You Am I
george
Shihad
Magic Dirt
...heaps of other aussie bands of note.

• Members

Hi all - interesting thread. I have a few things to add:

Opened for:
1. Mick Taylor Band, from the Stones ( a nice, quiet guy)
2. Duke Robillard (scared the crap out of me he was so good)

Backed up Bo Diddley for 2 shows...

Jammed with Dave Alvin of the Blasters - he sat in wtih our band once night.

I know there is more....my mind is gone!

• Members

Here in Milwaukee we have a world class music festival (Summerfest) that runs for 10 days in late June/July. There's a 30,000 seat amphitheater that features the current hot national acts every night and a ton of side stages that feature the not-quite-so-hot -but-still- excellent. My band has played this festival for the past 9 years...have opened for and/or at least played a couple hours before: Ted Nugent, 38-Special, America, REO, Peter Frampton, Allman Bros., Los Lobos. and...Faith Hill (just before she got really big) She was walking her baby around in a stroller before her gig.

Once when I played in a country band we opened for a national act callled The Texas Playboys at a county fair. Each one these guys was a real hair-boy and they all had their own little hair-salon trunks w/ mirrors...I swear they spent ALL their pre-show time poofing up their hair.

My favorite all time rock star moment was when I got to watch ZZ TOP rehearse the night before they performed for one of Harley-Davidson's big Anniversary bashes. They basically did a dress-rehearsal of their show in the Marcus Amphitheater ....to maybe 10 people !!!. Later...Billy Gibbons stayed on stage and spent about an hour tweaking his on-stage sound with his sound man and guitar tech.. I wandered back stage and chatted with Billy Gibbons about Fender amps and stomp boxes...he gave me one of those ZZ Top key chains.

I also know a couple of the guys in the BoDeans. I used to tell then to "practice hard so you can play local gigs like me !!!":p

• Members

Hey, dixxon, I don't know if the BoDeans still have the same manager, but the man who managed them when we played with them was realy remarkable.

He was a great guy, a great manager and in a wheelchair.

I thought that was increadably brave of him to go on tour managing a band in a wheelchair. I sure wouldn't have the guts to do that.

• Members

Originally posted by omor

sonaboy,

I've been meaning to ask.

is your avatar a snap from the rubber johnny video chris cunningham did for aphex twin? the parts of the video that might be from were the only parts not in night vision so i dont really know.

yes, a snap from Rubber Johnny.

Archived