boston mayor, "chill out" . . . aqua teen adds

hangwire

• Members
Yeah - I havn't seen any terrorist activity in the midwest....maybe because nothing of importance is there

Remember that next time you fill up your tank with gasoline or eat a bowl of cereal or loaf of bread. How about a hamburger. Or maybe you prefer to not have our natural gas. Better yet just for all your veggie people I'll tell all my farmer friends to stop growing soy beans. Kiss my ass city boy.:thu:

• Replies 279
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I'm saying that they responded appropriately to the situation. But are now trying to save face after the embarassment of responding to a cartoon. Get what I'm saying. The best thing to do would be come out and say we did what we had to but there was no threat sorry for the inconvenience. Not go on a witch hunt to save face.

But what about the moron that illegally put up the suspicious devices in the first place ?? They should have no responsibility ??

Hindsight is 20 20....now we know they were stupid and harmless, but the first responders to the scene worrying about public safety did not have that knowledge at the time.

So I still maintain the idiot that put them there in the first place basically yelled " fire " in a crowded theatre for no reason - which is illegal by the way...

• Members
Remember that next time you fill up your tank with gasoline or eat a bowl of cereal or loaf of bread. How about a hamburger. Or maybe you prefer to not have our natural gas. Better yet just for all your veggie people I'll tell all my farmer friends to stop growing soy beans. Kiss my ass city boy.
:thu:

LOL.....Touche !!:cool:

• Members

I'm saying that they responded appropriately to the situation. But are now trying to save face after the embarassment of responding to a cartoon. Get what I'm saying. The best thing to do would be come out and say we did what we had to but there was no threat sorry for the inconvenience. Not go on a witch hunt to save face.

+1

if anything, Time Warner and the ad agency should be fined for asking 2 unaware people to perform the labor that started this whole thing.

anyway - it took someone at least 2 weeks to actually notice them.

just fine Time Warner half a mil and shut up about it. jesus - some of the quotes coming from the city officials are so limp. what a bunch of crybabies.

• Members

I think the issue here is, this was advertising... if Turner or who ever would have just went down to city hall and said, hey, we need a permit to hang some ads around the city: what's it going to cost us?, like a normal company it could have been avoided...

Makes sense....this could be a thread closing point you've made here.....we'll see...

• Members

Your contradicting yourself....your saying they acted appropriately.........but made asses of themselves while doing it ?? Which is it ??

It can be both.

Appropriate TO investigate something.

Made asses out of themselves by the way they handled it.

• Members

I think the issue here is, this was advertising... if Turner or who ever would have just went down to city hall and said, hey, we need a permit to hang some ads around the city: what's it going to cost us?, like a normal company it could have been avoided...

Do we know for sure they didn't??? That's really all I want to know at this point.

• Members

nope - wrong.

That still wouldn't have prevented the citizen from calling it in, describing the thing as he did (a box with red wires coming out - oh noez!!) and getting the bombsquad to shut down traffic and investigate.

the bombsquad wouldn't know that some random ad agency bought a permit for randomly placed signs. there's no agency that they call FIRST before they treat a bomb threat as an immediate concern. there is no such streamlined fact checking service available for something like that.

you guys are simply thinking in hindsight.

you call something in as a suspicious device (such as the overly-paranoid person did) and it gets treated that way.

end of story.

• Members

Do we know for sure they didn't??? That's really all I want to know at this point.

Of course they didnt! Otherwise the cops could've checked with the city comptroller and found out that this was all on the level.

(I have absolutely no idea what a comptroller does, but it sounded good)

• Members

nope - wrong.

That still wouldn't have prevented the citizen from calling it in, describing the thing as he did (a box with red wires coming out - oh noez!!) and getting the bombsquad to shut down traffic and investigate.

the bombsquad wouldn't know that some random ad agency bought a permit for randomly placed signs. there's no agency that they call FIRST before they treat a bomb threat as an immediate concern. there is no such streamlined fact checking service available for something like that.

you call something in as a suspicious device (such as the overly-paranoid person did) and it gets treated that way.

end of story.

Ok but either way should Turner or the ad agency be prosecuted because some people are paranoid?

• Members

nope - wrong.

end of story.

No - not the end of story. If they has applied for a legal permit, they would NOT have been permited to hang them from bridge abuttments. Because they put them in a suspicious location is what help to fuel panic.

They would have had to rent a billboard like all the other slobs if they had done this legally.

• Members

Ok but either way should Turner or the ad agency be prosecuted because some people are paranoid?

I believe they should pay the fine for the outcome, since, we'll have to assume everyone involved acted in good faith:

Turner for wanting a unique ad campaign

the agency for coming up with it and hiring two guys to do it

the guys who thought they were having some fun putting up signs of a cartoon character flipping people off (immature, but probably a fun job)

the person who called in the suspicious device

the squad for investigating in a timely manner and calling it off.

the only people who seem to NOT be acting in good faith are the city, state and federal mouthpieces that are hurling fantastic scenarios and threats to anyone who will listen.

like i said, they acted in good faith, but it turned out to cause some distress, so they should pay the fine for it.

Archived