Why are there so many pristine pedalboards here?

RoboPimp

• Members

About 99% of the people who post pics of their pedalboard here show us pictures of a collection of beautifully clean, perfectly placed pedals with immaculate wiring and not a spect of dirt on the pedals, on the carpet or anywhere. How many of you actually play them? Or is this all just a hobby of buying pedals and seeing how anal you can get arranging them on a piece of wood/metal and never really doing anything with them?

I don't know.

I used a computer program to figure out the best way to arrange these.

i don't think this can be improved upon.

pedalboard1.jpg

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I use EVERY pedal on my board at every gig...I also take care of them cause they be lots o money!!! Nothing wrong with takeing care of things. You don't have to be a slob to play gigs! :confused: My kitchen is clean and so is my rig...if ya keep it clean you don't have to clean it!

2118511boardpic1.JPG

• Members

I'm not that bothered. Yeah I haven't gigged with mine yet, but when I get round to it, I'm not gonna care if they get a bit trashed, as long as they work. I think they look cooler battered. Same with guitars. I look forward to some day in 20 years time or something when my tele is really starting to wear and looks like a real rock and roll relic...
:thu:

Unfortunately, if your guitar is a modern one with a hard-as-nails polyurethane finish, that day is a looooooooooong time away, if it ever comes. The wear on those cool as {censored} old fenders like Rory Gallaghers and SRV's is part and parcel of the old nitrocellulose finishes they used to use, before they came up with the more hardwearing, easier to apply poly finishes most modern guitars use. In the case of Rory's strat, it's also the result of being dumped in a ditch after it was stolen, which I wouldn't wish on your poor tele.

I've been gigging fairly regularly with my poly finished japanese JD Tele since 1997 or 1998, and although the frets are a little worn and the hardware is tarnished and rusty in places, the finish isn't doing anything other than fading slightly. Where it's been hit by anything, it looks like a chipped windscreen, which is not very rock and roll.

• Members

Unfortunately, if your guitar is a modern one with a hard-as-nails polyurethane finish, that day is a looooooooooong time away, if it ever comes. The wear on those cool as {censored} old fenders like Rory Gallaghers and SRV's is part and parcel of the old nitrocellulose finishes they used to use, before they came up with the more hardwearing, easier to apply poly finishes most modern guitars use. In the case of Rory's strat, it's also the result of being dumped in a ditch after it was stolen, which I wouldn't wish on your poor tele.

I've been gigging fairly regularly with my poly finished japanese JD Tele since 1997 or 1998, and although the frets are a little worn and the hardware is tarnished and rusty in places, the finish isn't doing anything other than fading slightly. Where it's been hit by anything, it looks like a chipped windscreen, which is not very rock and roll.

Damn! Maybe I'll have to get a project guitar and 'relic' it then...! :D

• Members

I'm just not a pig.

Clean board =/= bedroom star

Pig board =/= gigging player

I have cases and covers for everything for my amp/rack/pedalboard. All my multi cable runs are in custom snakes. My pedals are racked, so they do stay very tidy. My board takes the most beating, but it is still in decent shape...yet there is stuff that is chipped. I maintain everything between gigs.

Frankly, who cares if a guy wants to buy a bajjillion $$$ worth of the finest colour matched cork sniffing pedals and turn the lights down low so he can take a picture with all the glowing lights. He has every right...it's his money.

• Members

Yeah, man. We get it. You gig. :blah::rolleyes: Whooppee.

That's cool. I am glad you gig. But you ain't the only one, man.

My pedals have seen hundreds of shows. They are kept in excellent condition. An occasional bit o' Guinness will find it's way 'round my board now and then. It happens. But I take care of my {censored}.

If mommy and daddy bought your pedals, maybe you don't value them as you should. Me, I polish them suckers up with pride. I mean, DAMN! Them {censored}s is expensive! Plus you never know when you'll want/need to sell it.

• Members

This is what a heavily gigged pedalboard looks like, all gunked up.

Nils of Sleepytime Gorilla Museum

nils.pedalboard.jpg

I almost feel sorry for that abused Ibanez AF-201. That's a pretty valuable pedal too.

that guy probably has to get a tetanus shot in the foot after each show.

• Members

About 99% of the people who post pics of their pedalboard here show us pictures of a collection of beautifully clean, perfectly placed pedals with immaculate wiring and not a spect of dirt on the pedals, on the carpet or anywhere. How many of you actually play them? Or is this all just a hobby of buying pedals and seeing how anal you can get arranging them on a piece of wood/metal and never really doing anything with them?

I think my new setup is extremely organized and clean. And I play shows and use all of my pedals fairly often. Almost after every practice you can see me using the duster or the air can on them. I use them so much that if I don't keep things neat and tidy, they won't last long.

• Members

I used to be concerned about the asthetics of my board, but I've been starting to focus on the sounds I can make rather than just staring at my board without a guitar in my hand.

I still wash my pedals off with a damp rag from time to time. Just to keep so much dirt and dust from settling in the pots and switches.

I think we need more rock though.

• Members

. . . did i hear you say, "all show, and no go" !!! :rolleyes:

Archived