Why are there so many pristine pedalboards here?

RoboPimp

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can't speak for everyone else Robo, but here's my answer:

I take good care of my gear. They're tools, and I learned a long time ago that if your life depends on a tool, or your income does, then it's smart to make sure it's working. Take good care of your tools and your tools will take good care of you.

Some of my stuff is new, some old. The older stuff has more dings on it than the new stuff... but since I try to take care of things, even the older stuff still tends to look pretty good.

They're tools... not toys. I use them, and I don't cry if something gets a nick or a ding. It happens. I take reasonable care, but I'm not obsessive.

I'm an engineer. It's my nature to have things wired fairly cleanly and everything organized. Also, since I spend most of my life in a studio and not on the road, that lends itself to things looking nice for longer - they don't get as beat up here as they would if I played live on a regular basis.

• Members

I know exactly what you mean.

Actually, maybe I don't. The only reason we're not doing anything is because the rest of my band mates are extraordinarily lazy. I'm the only one that practices, which really isn't neccasary, because as far as I can tell, I'm the best play in the band, and I'm just bored.

Ugh.

I've got a BADASS lineup of musicians. The drummer sucks at answering his phone and the bassist has the worst memory ever. If they weren't both amazing and in a band for 3 years together before this(can you say tight rhythm section?), I would've ditched them by now.

I don't know if they just don't want to do a real serious band or what, but I'd really like to get things rolling. The potential is there. We've toured our fair share and we all have equipment. We all know exactly what we're capable of, too. We're all good enough to play anything we'll ever want to play, too. There is no "weak" musician. I don't know why we can't just get into the habit of jamming/practicing. I've been psyching myself out when it comes to writing and I really just need to crank my amp and PLAY.

I've wasted the past 3 years on bands that easily could've done something if we'd actually made an attempt. Something always got in the way of that real attempt we needed to make.

I'm getting impatient and I'm about to start looking for a band to join.

• Members

I wipe off my guitars when I get off stage, how is it any different to wipe off any sweat that drips on my pedals or get rid of any crap that falls on my board. You are allowed to keep your gear clean and still play 200 dates a year. Just because youre on stage every night doesn't mean youre supposed to not care about your gear and let it get {censored}ty and break.

• Members

I assumed the debate was mess.... Not abuse to destroy function. But I see people implying a messy looking board is NOT a functional board, who's pedals are somehow being abused...:rolleyes:

My pedals are in 100% functional condition and I value them very much BUT I don't need to be OCD and make my board an art project. I thought the question was posed to those whos boards should be in an art exhibit!

I will also say I love seeing the pedal boards of art. I just have no interest in maintaining one.

I would hope everyone wipes the puddles of sweat off any gear....:eek: Cables included. :freak:

• Members

I think some people also have gear for various purposes. I have some gear for recording and other gear that goes to shows. There is no reason to have a messy board that primarily gets used for recording and writing when it could be clean.

• Members

Well I knew this thread would ruffle some feathers when I first read it. I am soon to finish my pedal board and I'll take my licks and lobbed corks as needed. It is kind of a test bed to narrow down some pedal selections. I'll have no problem selling it and building a smaller one. It's funny usually I just plug straight into my amp. I will have fun with all the pedals and everything in loops and AB/Y'd.

YMMV :)

Mr.Pimp is okay with me no matter what, even if he slams me.

• Members
There is no reason to have a messy board that primarily gets used for recording and writing when it could be clean.

Ummm..... Ok.:rolleyes: Thats just silly. Im too busy working most of the time to care..... Its a preference. Period. Unless Ive been doing it wrong all this time!

I say if you like uber organization- great, if not- great. If you imply it should be neat and organized because thats the right way... OCD. I promise the pedals still work. Though maybe the next track I cut wont be very good because of messy pedals. Maybe Ill organize them and see if it sounds better. Damn, my next session is a guy who is "anti-pedal"... Ill have to wait and see.:blah:

I have never had a client or musician complain that my pedals weren't organized enough.:D They just like the options of having pedals to choose from. I have also never lost a session for the same reason. By the way, ONLY my pedal board is messy.....

• Members

I recently joined (and got kicked out of) a C&W band that did nothing but lame C&W covers and they rehearsed in the back of a car tuning/line dancing pub. When I went to practice for the first time, they stopped after a couple of songs and asked me if I had a hat and boots and a shirt

They didn't care about the pedals, and I just used a compressor, SHO and reverb and the volume knob of my Tele and the Fender Twin, it sounded brilliant, and I've learned a lot from testing out for cover bands,

it's not for me.

The Belgian honky tonk scene is pretty hot huh?

• Members
How do you like that ad999? worth the money? could you compare it to the tone of say a DM2?

Also, Im a gigging guitarist, but whats wrong with being a bedroom player?
:confused:

"It has been decreed by the Great One that all bedroom players must be killed at the moment of their birth or before the first full moon hence. Pedal polishers shall be taken from whence they came and hence forth beaten with cheaply made Korean knock-offs."

...extract from "RoboPimp's Modern Manual for Miserable Bastards Who Missed out on Cuddles in Early Childhood."

• Members

I keep both of my boards clean and organized. I have 2 young kids at home and they both like to mess with my pedalboard and I don't want my 7 month-old daughter to get vomit and crap on her hands (I've actually had vomit on my FF from a gig)...

I've received grief from it once -- we crashed an art crawl and some dude asked me if I bought all my pedals just for that one gig. I guess having a board that's not "road-battered" decreases my street cred, though the opinion of those who'd dismiss me because my equipment looks to clean does not interest me at all.

Also, I'd rather keep my daughters healthy than live up to some person's imagined gigging musician's code.

c

• Members
About 99% of the people who post pics of their pedalboard here show us pictures of a collection of beautifully clean, perfectly placed pedals with immaculate wiring and not a spect of dirt on the pedals, on the carpet or anywhere. How many of you actually play them? Or is this all just a hobby of buying pedals and seeing how anal you can get arranging them on a piece of wood/metal and never really doing anything with them?

Ya, they need your approval. :rolleyes:

• Members

I keep both of my boards clean and organized. I have 2 young kids at home and they both like to mess with my pedalboard and I don't want my 7 month-old daughter to get vomit and crap on her hands (I've actually had vomit on my FF from a gig)...

I've received grief from it once -- we crashed an art crawl and some dude asked me if I bought all my pedals just for that one gig. I guess having a board that's not "road-battered" decreases my street cred, though the opinion of those who'd dismiss me because my equipment looks to clean does not interest me at all.

Also, I'd rather keep my daughters healthy than live up to some person's imagined gigging musician's code.

c

i find it odd that you let your children... especially a 7 month old... mess with your gear

• Members

My band practices EVERY day, sometimes twice... we just got back from a 30 show tour, and we are about to go back out thursday.

Mine look tidy, neat and pristine... because when you place your pedals on your board you have the choice to do it like a moron, or you could take a few minutes and put them in a nice aesthetically pleasing/functional form. You only have to do it once... also if you have a case then there aren't too many reasons they should get jacked up.

This thing has seen a LOT of stages...

pedalboard-024.jpg

I guess if you just stick your pedals in a box or bag and let them bounce around they will get messed up... My DD-20 is one of the only remaining pedals from my "stick em in a bag" days...

DD20.jpg

I also don't step in too much mud before I play...

• Members

i find it odd that you let your children... especially a 7 month old... mess with your gear

they mostly touch knobs and such. I've taught them not to bang things together. My 3 year-old plugs an old Steinberger into an equally old Fender SS combo when she's "playing guitar."

My pedals are firmly planted on the board, so I have yet to see any damage caused by my kids, though they're supervised when they play around wih my gear.

c

• Members

I think something far and deep in the brain of the fellah has understood his point is void, because he doesnt answer and did a new thread a la "good players can play {censored}ty boards"

Well I guess good players can also play nice boards

Oh, my :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Archived