Why are there so many pristine pedalboards here?

RoboPimp

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
I think something far and deep in the brain of the fellah has understood his point is void, because he doesnt answer and did a new thread a la "good players can play {censored}ty boards"

Well I guess good players can also play nice boards

Oh, my
:rolleyes:
:rolleyes:

He is a lonely troll, seeking attention. Sad huh...

• Members
About 99% of the people who post pics of their pedalboard here show us pictures of a collection of beautifully clean, perfectly placed pedals with immaculate wiring and not a spect of dirt on the pedals, on the carpet or anywhere. How many of you actually play them? Or is this all just a hobby of buying pedals and seeing how anal you can get arranging them on a piece of wood/metal and never really doing anything with them?

I may not gig as much as I used to, but it doesn't take much to brush the top soil off the board. Also, dirt on the pedals eventually means dirt in the switches and pots. . . It's a "studio" thing I guess, but also, a neat board makes it easier to hunt down problems.

As a consequence, I've got gear I used in the 70's and it still looks pretty good (some of it doesn't work but hey, it still LOOKS pretty good:p ).

And for the purpose of taking pictures, yeah, I make it look neater.

I'll stand up and say it: "I'm anal AND I play!":phil:

And sometimes I just like to stand back and "wook at aw duh pwiddy pedoows." :wave:

Brett

• Members

Maybe there is a market for pre-aged relic'd pedals for the road warrior look? Hey, they did it for guitars and now amps too.

Wow. What a horrifying concept. "Buy your 'authentically reliced' TS9 now for only $499.95!"

I have to admit, it wouldn't surprise me to see this happen, someday.

• Members
+1 on the pristine but also I cant believe people actually gig with so much crap, some boards have about 15 pedals and others have 2 boards hooked-up, just could not be {censored}ed with carrying it, setting it up and reliability.

you should see my bassist and mine's setups.

:eek:

• 5 months later...
  • Members

i think if you have a proper pedal board thats protected.... a pedal will look like it hasn't been touched. if YOU the person bought the pedal new. i could care less about what pedals look like tho. if i knew that i would never sell any pedal on my board i would paint them all insane colours/stripes etc so i know that zebra stripes = delay etc :freak:

• Members

... running into a $500 Hot Rod Deluxe.

it's not a bad amp.

5K of pedals is one thing.....it's many many pedals that add up to, but you really only need one amp, right?

I'm sure a 5K board has at least one sub $100 pedal on it cause if it's good and cheap who cares......same applies to amps....and I know for ME, I can easily spend 50 bucks here....200 bucks there on ebay on pedals (thanks to this forum), however it is much harder to save for a $500.00 plus amp.

but I digress, cause I know there's some stoopid 500 dollar pedals on the same board that do the same thing as a simple 100 dollar pedal....

I'm just saying....trickle down economics.....20 bucks here....50 there......who even notices? (certainly not the wife).....

• Members

why does everyone assume that a gigging musicians is playing 24 hrs a day, and can't find 15 minutes to organize or clean. if you don't don't want to fine, but i cant think anyone here is so busy and their music is so time consuming that they can't clean and assume everyone else must be the same.

anyways, doesn't anyone just have some gear for fun? just for the hell of it, to try? or does everything need a purpose and need to be used 100% of time.

• Members
About 99% of the people who post pics of their pedalboard here show us pictures of a collection of beautifully clean, perfectly placed pedals with immaculate wiring and not a spect of dirt on the pedals, on the carpet or anywhere. How many of you actually play them? Or is this all just a hobby of buying pedals and seeing how anal you can get arranging them on a piece of wood/metal and never really doing anything with them?

Well, I just spent the evening playing guitar using my pedals and when I was done, I took time to wipe down my pedals was well as my guitar. Then I put a drop cloth over my pedal board to keep dust off my gear. I like my stuff to look new no matter how old it is. icon_peace.gif

• Members

When you've spent the amount of money many of us have on gear - the smart thing to do is to take care of your investments. I clean my guitars and change the strings after every gig too as well as wiping down my cables and pedals, etc.

• Members
why does everyone assume that a gigging musicians is playing 24 hrs a day, and can't find 15 minutes to organize or clean. if you don't don't want to fine, but i cant think anyone here is so busy and their music is so time consuming that they can't clean and assume everyone else must be the same.

anyways, doesn't anyone just have some gear for fun? just for the hell of it, to try? or does everything need a purpose and need to be used 100% of time.

Yeah. What he said! :thu:

• Members
my board isn't clean, not nice wired and i stomp on my boxes:

newboard.jpg

i recently replaced the big muff pi reissue with a little big muff to save space.

the big muff is now for homewanking and stomping

Not being a {censored}, but you should run the Fuzz Factory 1st in your signal chain - Unless there's no difference with a Wah in front, I've never tried.

• Members

After a 5-6 week tour, I can vouch for NITEFLY182 when I say that his wonderfully put together CLEAN pedalboard (Pedaltrain Pro) stayed very clean and straight. The only issues he had was the back of the velcro melting from his board sitting in a hot trailer between shows, so sometimes he would open his board to his pedals being crooked. My touring board wasn't that incredibly neat to begin with but other than me having the same velcro issue, mine stayed the way I put it together. If you take care of your stuff, things stay clean and neat.

• Members

I keep my pedals for live use in a rack with a MIDI loop switcher (I'd rather stomp the {censored} out of a $200 MIDI pedal than a bunch of $200-$300 pedals), but my loose pedals that I use in the studio, I'll clean them up for a photo shoot if I'm going to bother to take pics of them...I tend to take good care of my stuff...Take good care of your gear and it's less likely to crap out on you when you need it. :)

• Members
After a 5-6 week tour, I can vouch for NITEFLY182 when I say that his wonderfully put together CLEAN pedalboard (Pedaltrain Pro) stayed very clean and straight. The only issues he had was the back of the velcro melting from his board sitting in a hot trailer between shows, so sometimes he would open his board to his pedals being crooked. My touring board wasn't that incredibly neat to begin with but other than me having the same velcro issue, mine stayed the way I put it together. If you take care of your stuff, things stay clean and neat.

Ever open up your pedalboard in an air conditioned club and feel a blast of heat coming out from under the lid...I had that happen in Arizona during our last SWxNW tour. :D

• Members
Ever open up your pedalboard in an air conditioned club and feel a blast of heat coming out from under the lid...I had that happen in Arizona during our last SWxNW tour.
:D

Nothing better than pulling a hot pedalboard out of a case and having the melted velcro goo ball up all over everything. My board, all velcro issues aside, stayed very clean and neat and had 0 problems for all of tour.

Im pretty sure everyone who is "anti-clean board" cant say that and they probably get pretty pissed when a cable goes bad and they have to find it or something is broken from general lack of care. I watched from about 2 feet (If BTBAM moved at all it would have been uncomfortably close) as Paul from BTBAM spent 10 minutes figuring out that the nut on his NS2 input jack was loose. Take care of your {censored} dudes. There's nothing uncool about having gear that works.

Archived