Compressor

TeleMan1985

• Members

Hey guys. Looking for a compressor just to bring my cleans to life a bit, maybe give them a bit more sparkle and that sort of thing. Don't need the whole popping chickin' picking thing, so something fairly subtle should be okay. Also looking for it to work well with delays and do that Andy Summers and The Edge sort of thing. Probably won't use it with dirt so doesn't have to be good on that front. There's a CS-1 in the Spam thread I'm kinda tempted by, but can't find much info on it. Any recommendations? No boutique please...! Oh and don't recommend a CS-3. I once owned one and it was junk... :wave:

• Members

What does that mean? The "sounded flat" part. Explain, if you don't mind.

Sure. Whenever I play clean parts in the band, like arpeggios or sustained chords, I never seem to get the attack or sustain I want. And sometimes I'd play a solo lick and it would just have no impact. I've only ever owned a dynacomp and a byoc comp, and they're not worth comparing cause theyre o different, but I've never gone long without a compressor on my board, even when I went from a flat humbucker guitar to a bright new telecaster.

• Members
Sure. Whenever I play clean parts in the band, like arpeggios or sustained chords, I never seem to get the attack or sustain I want. And sometimes I'd play a solo lick and it would just have no impact. I've only ever owned a dynacomp and a byoc comp, and they're not worth comparing cause theyre o different, but I've never gone long without a compressor on my board, even when I went from a flat humbucker guitar to a bright new telecaster.

Ahh, yes this would make sense, especially for squeaky clean work. I've always wondered how my setup would sound with just a little bit of transparent compression, but there isn't much way for me to try it without going out on a limb and ordering a rather expensive pedal, as the local shops only carry super-squishy Boss and MXR comps. I wonder if it would affect my dynamics too much. I guess I am just going to keep wondering. :cry:

• Members

if you want better tone and signal...look at the signal chain.

a tele and a dyna comp is a perfect match. i bet there is more to the story.....

you cant have crap in front of the preamps. you are trying to improve your sound, right ? afterall, that is why we compress it . you didnt like the cs-3 neither did i at first. it is moddable.

even if you compress it, i bet you wont like it. it will have hiss at the ratios that sound good. UNLESS you have taken measures to sheild and power condition your sources.

also there is a problem with compression that becomes evident in SS amps.

• Members

if you want better tone and signal...look at the signal chain.

a tele and a dyna comp is a perfect match. i bet there is more to the story.....

you cant have crap in front of the preamps. you are trying to improve your sound, right ? afterall, that is why we compress it . you didnt like the cs-3 neither did i at first. it is moddable.

even if you compress it, i bet you wont like it. it will have hiss at the ratios that sound good. UNLESS you have taken measures to sheild and power condition your sources.

also there is a problem with compression that becomes evident in SS amps.

huh?

• Members

Why you say that?

I was being sarcastic; for the basic needs you expressed almost any comp will do nicely, everyone is just telling you their favorite. A boss, dynacomp or EHX soul preacher would probably all do you fine, each is less than $100 and available at most retailers.

• Members

I am very happy with the guyatone ST-2 compressor (the little green one not the sustainer) It has 2 knobs and a small footprint. It just brings my guitars to life. Unless you go past about 2 oclock on sustain it's just about silent.
Read the reviews here:

http://reviews.harmony-central.com/reviews/Effects/product/Guyatone/ST-2/10/1

and here:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Guyatone-ST2-Compression-Sustainer-Pedal?sku=155034

I never shut it off when I'm playing anymore. Coupled with a good overdrive there are miles of sustain.

• Members

I have a basically new Guyatone ST-2 for sale. Bought it new at MF in August: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Guyatone-ST2-Compression-Sustainer-Pedal?sku=155034

Asking $55. Nothing wrong with it, just want to try something different and ordered an EHX Soul Preacher. The Guyatone is pretty good though, especially for the money. PM me if interested.

• Members

I highly recommend BYOC for value for money. I haven't tried their compressor (...yet. It's on my list!), but their Mk2 Fuzz and Triboost are both on my board, and both are excellent pedals for very ordinary prices.

As long as you can solder and read instructions it should be no problem, although the current 5 knob compressor has a LOT of components compared to some of the other kits, which adds to the difficulty in assembly and would mean it was less than ideal as a first build if you're not that confident. That said, there are lots of people on HCFX who have built BYOC kits before and who might be prepared to put one together for you if you ask nicely :)

A slightly less complicated DIY option would be the Monte Allums mod for the CS-3, which seems to have had very positive reviews, and which will turn a POS pedal into a real gem.

• Members

Hey guys. Looking for a compressor just to bring my cleans to life a bit, maybe give them a bit more sparkle and that sort of thing. Don't need the whole popping chickin' picking thing, so something fairly subtle should be okay. Also looking for it to work well with delays and do that Andy Summers and The Edge sort of thing. Probably won't use it with dirt so doesn't have to be good on that front. There's a CS-1 in the Spam thread I'm kinda tempted by, but can't find much info on it. Any recommendations? No boutique please...! Oh and don't recommend a CS-3. I once owned one and it was junk...
:wave:

MXR Dyna Comp

Max the output and 1 o'clock on threshold= Nice solo boost, or think David Gilmour w/ a Strat

Archived