Compressor

TeleMan1985

• Members

for sure and certain, the Barber Tone Press is just what you're looking for.

Absolutely! I can't believe it took so long for this suggestion. The blend knob works wonders. Great build quality, quiet, can also be used as a boost. Great comp for just a little more money than most of the other suggestions.

• Members

I am very happy with the guyatone ST-2 compressor (the little green one not the sustainer) It has 2 knobs and a small footprint. It just brings my guitars to life. Unless you go past about 2 oclock on sustain it's just about silent.

Read the reviews here:

and here:

I never shut it off when I'm playing anymore. Coupled with a good overdrive there are miles of sustain.

I'll second this. I love my sp2, it's by far the best nonoptical compressor that I've played. It goes from nothing at all to serious squish, and it can be as transparent as you want it to be. It also has the option to mix the wet and dry signals together so you don't loose all of your dynamics with the compression.

• Members

I like my black finger, cause it has tubes... and I like things with tubes, even if they suck. It runs full 300 volts on the tubes. It is a decent compressor, nothing really amazing about but it is actually a great boost pedal, and you can use it as a tube preamp for direct injection. It also works really well with bass, I actually prefer it with bass than guitar, and you can also use it a synth , I also used it with a drum machine, wasn't very punchy though but it does warm up samples. Only complaint I have is mine has broken in less than a year and is being sent back for repairs. It isn't entirely transparent but you won't notice unless you crank the gain up high.

• Members

the thing about the barber is..... it's really not that expensive, especially when compared to some of the other boutiques.

let me put it to you this way...

you could buy 2 cheap compressors, on the way to figuring out that the tone press did exactly what you needed.

of course, it's subjective, this compression thing, and what works for one guy, may not for another, so you always have to try..

but i've had the keeley....
the original ross...
the dynacomp.....

all fell to the wayside.

• Members

i use an older maxon and i think they are great.i have mine set for more of a plunky under the bridge type sound so i dont keep it on at all times,not to mention i think most of my dirtboxes have thier own compression that doesnt need tampering with.

• Members
A slightly less complicated DIY option would be the Monte Allums mod for the CS-3, which seems to have had very positive reviews, and which will turn a POS pedal into a real gem.

Well stated. The Monte Allums Opto Mod turned a doorstop into a working tool. If you still have the CS-3 lying around, you owe it to yourself to try that mod before looking elsewhere. The $23 cost of the mod will buy you a fine compressor. :thu:

Archived