Volume Drop Issues

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

NYC Reissue Small Stone makes me sad- such a great sounding pedal, but unforgiveable volume drop. Had one years ago but got rid of it because of that. Recently picked up the Behringer knockoff which didn't have nearly the extreme vol. drop as the EH, but it didn't quite have the mojo of the EH- it did remind me though how much I like that sound. I'm picking up the Analogman version soon :)

• Members

My problem is often that pedals with a volume drop cause guitar to disappear in a live situation. You turn on a pedal and all of a sudden youre gone from the mix. Even a slight drop can do this. Some boss phasers are terrible because they BOOST volume several db which causes everyone else in the band to disappear under a wash of phase. Why cant builders just spend another week on R&D if they need it and make sure the volume doesn't drop. And test things with more than your favorite amp too. Some builders test pedals through one amp and when you call them with a problem it takes forever to realize that they designed the pedeal and only over tested it through their workshop champ.

• Members

I honestly don't care about volume drop. If a pedal is good sounding, I'll find a way around it. I'm not going to give up on a good effect because of some small problem. That's just asinine.

Being heard live isn't a small problem.

• Members

My problem is often that pedals with a volume drop cause guitar to disappear in a live situation. You turn on a pedal and all of a sudden youre gone from the mix. Even a slight drop can do this. Some boss phasers are terrible because they BOOST volume several db which causes everyone else in the band to disappear under a wash of phase. Why cant builders just spend another week on R&D if they need it and make sure the volume doesn't drop. And test things with more than your favorite amp too. Some builders test pedals through one amp and when you call them with a problem it takes forever to realize that they designed the pedeal and only over tested it through their workshop champ.

completely agree with you there...such pedals can NEVER be used live..sudden disappearances and emergence in a live mix makes the band sound bad and unprofessional. completely unacceptable

• Members

my take is a lot of the time it's more to do with other pedals/pickups/leads/ guitar/whatever.

I never seemed to have much more than unity gain on my big muff, but by lowering my guitars volume to 8 or 9 I can make it have a massive volume boost if wanted. Lowering the guitars volume a little seems to have no effect on the bigmuff, but has quite an effect on the volume when it's off.

with my NYC small stone, putting it in front of dirt rather than after solved any volume loss (although I'm not sure it had any anyway) I prefer it's sound too, less wooshy and more wah-like. So I would also suggest trying a pedal in different places in a chain, maybe before/after buffered pedals and/or dirt to see if that has any effect.

I haven't had a pedal that I couldn't find a solution for yet so I'm not really bothered, I'm always playing with my volume knob/pickup selector during songs anyway, so If I think a part is too quiet/loud or not cutting through, I just change something on the guitar.

• Members

What's your take on the volume drop issue?

My take is that most guys that experience these points of contention, do because they don't spend the $$$ to run the stuff through a switching system with level shifting circuits as a part of their rig design

• Members

My take is that most guys that experience these points of contention, do because they don't spend the $$$ to run the stuff through a switching system with level shifting circuits as a part of their rig design

HAHA great answer. Why should companies improve their pedals when consumers could just spend thousands on a good switching rig?

• Members

Most volume-drop and tone-suck scenarios are hi/lo impedance loading problems. They can usually be avoided if you know what you're doing.

Mind you, it'd be preferable if pedal input and output loads were less all over the map.

That's correct, and the point most people miss.

If you're worried about volume drop, make sure you match the impedances, and use a buffer if necessary. Much cheaper that way.

• Members

NYC Reissue Small Stone makes me sad- such a great sounding pedal, but unforgiveable volume drop. Had one years ago but got rid of it because of that. Recently picked up the Behringer knockoff which didn't have nearly the extreme vol. drop as the EH, but it didn't quite have the mojo of the EH- it did remind me though how much I like that sound. I'm picking up the Analogman version soon
:)

I just got one of those (nyc small stone) and there really doesn't seem to be a significant volume drop in my setup when using it, have they maybe sorted it out in the new units? Or am i just lucky that it works well with my combination of pedals?

• Members

Which system are you referring to? Does the TC Electronics G system do what you're talking about?

G-System-front-sm.jpg

• Members

My problem is often that pedals with a volume drop cause guitar to disappear in a live situation. You turn on a pedal and all of a sudden youre gone from the mix. Even a slight drop can do this. Some boss phasers are terrible because they BOOST volume several db which causes everyone else in the band to disappear under a wash of phase.
Why cant builders just spend another week on R&D if they need it and make sure the volume doesn't drop.
And test things with more than your favorite amp too. Some builders test pedals through one amp and when you call them with a problem it takes forever to realize that they designed the pedeal and only over tested it through their workshop champ.

+666 in honor of Halloween, mwah-hah-ha...

• Members

Says the man with a rack rig. :blah::blah::blah:

Volume irregularities are the quickest way to get me to sell a pedal.

Archived