OT: amp appreciation thread

RoboPimp

• Members
Any amp with cupholders for your shot glass is a-okay in my book
:thu:

a little small for a shot glass but they do hold my slide well...

those are the "sus4" mounts, they cushion hard jolts to the tubes and reduce vibrations from the speaker from transferring through the chassis this helps increase tube life. :thu:

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Mesa Tremoverb. I bought it as a combo, but then turned it into a 1/2 stack b/c I always wanted a 1/2 stack. Hella heavy, but killer tone!!! I'm quite sure I'll never get rid of this amp. 4x12 is just so friggin' sweet!!! I just need to keep my gym membership to lug it around. The reason why the writing is upside down is b/c in the combo, the chasis is mounted to the top, so the writing is according to that. When you mount it to a head shelf, it mounts to the bottom, therefore, mine looks upsidedown. Great conversation piece. I did go w/ the custom grille. Oh yeah. FWIW, I got rid of that SG. Looks great, but did not sound as good as that Ibanez (which at the time had the Gibson Classic 57/57+ combo and now has GFS Mean 90s)

DSCF0007.JPG

• Members

My 1963 Gibson GA-19RVT Falcon is the best small amp I've ever heard:

HMFalcon.jpg

Tons of headroom for a 2-6V6 amp, so it takes pedals really well. The stock Jensen C-12-R is still tight and full sounding too. Cranked up it stays clear and defined and has a rich edgy medium gain drive to it.

• Members

I'm in love with my Sovtek mig50.

It's the perfect tone I've been looking for and any of my pedals sound their best through it. Bought it from Beardcom. Missing the front and back plates, a few knobs missing, and no indicator light. but it sounds glorious, and I love that that's all that matters with this amp.

S7000035.jpg

• Members

I think this is a '77. Taken when I got it a few years ago. Easily the best amp I've had so far. But I would really love to have a few more amps especially a lower wattage EL34 amp (like 25w-30w, not a made for instant breakup thing) and I've always wanted to try an Ampeg Gemini. That Vibro Champ in this thread gave me a boner, btw.
FenderDR_small.jpg' alt='>'>

• Members

I have an Fender 12F (basically a Fender rebranded EV 12L) in my Princeton Reverb II, and it is a good speaker. I've owned a few Boogies over the years, but don't currently have one... but if I ever got another one, the II would probably be what I'd want.

I Fender Deluxe Reverb II. What an incredible amp that is. I've played the Princeton II and I'm not sure which one is better. A real gem in the rough with the 80's fenders.

I've also got a Matchless Cheiftain 212. It's from the late 90s so I think it's a second generation one. Just had it retubed and boy is it singing now a days.

When people start threads about whether they should sell their pedals to buy an amp I will always chime in. There is nothing more important than having an amp that you love the tone from.

Sorry. Here's the pics.
:D

amps3.jpg

Very nice Jay! :cool:

I have the PRII, and a Super Champ. The larger amps in the II series never really appealed to me (except maybe the Concert), but I've always wanted a Deluxe Reverb II to go with my other II series amps. If you ever decide to sell, or see another one someplace at a decent price, please let me know! :wave:

I took some pics of the PRII - hopefully I'll have them posted later today.

• Members

say bye bye to amp boners. this is my only amp:

pro_jr.jpg

That said, I love it. Can't imagine a better amp for bedrooming/the occasional jam. If I join a band, I'll get something bigger (AC30 stack or Bassman 4x10 RI) but until then, I'm not worried. Classic tube tone for $250, what can I complain about?

• Members
Liking the Vibro Champ, is that all original? seriously, that looks nicer than most original amps from the 60's/70's

It is original, except the cord has been changed to three-prong instead of the old "death cap" setup. There is a bit of a hum, that I will get taken care of when I find a competent amp tech. If you look closely, you'll see that the switch has two different mounting screws. I am not sure what that is about but it doesn't bother me.

:)

I ordered a cover for it the other day. My apartment is REALLY dusty. Someone took the care to keep this '68 looking pretty all these years and I like to keep my gear in great shape as well. Maybe her next 40 years will be just as kind.

:love:

Archived