OT: amp appreciation thread

RoboPimp

• Members

ok, I know this is an effects forum but who doesn't have a special amp they love to plug their dirty little boxes into...

I have a few nice amps but this one is special to me. It was my first "guitar" amp (i used a solid state bass amp before this) and man did I luck out when I got it.

1982 Mesa Boogie MKIIB

markIIb.jpg

loaded with every available option including anvil roadcase. Some of my favorite features: the GEQ, I use it as a footswitchable lead boost. It's placed after the preamp and before the power amp so you don't overload the front end, it just slams the power tubes hard. About those power tubes... the simulclass feature lets you mix power tube types. I've used all 6L6GCs, and a mix of them and KT66s (devastating) and right now I have a pair of mullard EL34s in there. With a flick of a switch you can go from 2 EL34s in "class A" at 15s watts of the nastiest tube grind but still louder than any other 15 watt amp I've ever heard then throw in a pair of class AB tubes for huge solid punchy headroom that somehow combines with the pair of class A tubes to give you headroom and power tube distortion simultaneously - hence "simulclass". Yeah, that randall smith is a genius! To top it off the hardwood cab combined with the altec lansing 417-8H really gives it an incredibly tight, focused yet room-filling tone...

altec417.jpg

got that speaker for $50! SWEEEET! the original stock EV 12L is a great speaker but this high power AlNiCo altec really is all THAT!

It's one of my amps that constantly gets "tone compliments" (and purchase offers heheheh) but I'll NEVER sell this amp! NEVER!

so... yeah... is it wrong to love an amp? :love:

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

it's a sick amp, I am not worthy! I see so many of my guitar idols using these amps and even though I like the way it sounds when I play thru mine to hear a real "guitar god" ripping through one is a religious experience heheh.

I can't blame you with that. My friends dad has the same amp, beautiful tones. I would love to contribute to this thread but I don't appreciate my current POS . We see enough vintage fenders and boutiques here though, I'm sure this thread gets some loving

what amp you got? give it some love, maybe it will return the favor with better tone.

• Members

the boogie is beautiful, and sounds great but it comes at a price. Rediculous weight. Probably 90 lbs easy with the case. It's the tone that gives you a real workout!!

Beautiful Boogie Robo.
:cool:

I have an Fender 12F (basically a Fender rebranded EV 12L) in my Princeton Reverb II, and it is a good speaker. I've owned a few Boogies over the years, but don't currently have one... but if I ever got another one, the II would probably be what I'd want.

The EV is a great speaker, but a but more "sterile" to my ears when compared to the altec. I'm using my EV right now with my dual showman reverb and it puts forth some might impressive tones.

Now... you have some sexy amps ... come on! give it up for one of your favs.

i've heard one of those boogies sound amazing.

But when i played one. Gross. Takes a magic touch.

Naah... no moreso than any other amp IMO. The thing is, the controls are a bit different on a Boogie, and you have to learn how to dial them in. It's not that hard once you learn how, but it's not quite the same approach as with a BF Fender. :)

• Members

One of Crates V18's.

imag0185es5.jpg

It actually is good for the money. $400 bucks for a tube amp is nice, and it sounds ok. It just doesn't give me the mojo of playing my friends dads amp or the other high end stuff at stores. It also doesnt particularly do anything well, just ok. Again though, great for the money.

Friend's Dad's Boogie Mark IIB

imag0184rn1.jpg

• Members

I've actually heard great things about these amps. The amp ain't {censored} without a good operator anyway!

One of Crates V18's.

imag0185es5.jpg

It actually is good for the money. $400 bucks for a tube amp is nice, and it sounds ok. It just doesn't give me the mojo of playing my friends dads amp or the other high end stuff at stores. It also doesnt particularly do anything well, just ok. Again though, great for the money.

Friend's Dad's Boogie Mark IIB

imag0184rn1.jpg

if I'm not mistaken that's either a MKIIC or a MKIIC+... any chance your friends dad wants to sell it????? :love::love::love::thu:

just kidding....

but not really, I'm dead serious...

I WANTS IT!! GIVESES US THE PRECIOUS!!!! :mad:

• Members

I actually asked if he would sell it. He said never. Don't blame him, he's been original owner since he bought it. Might be a C, don't remember, I know its a II

And yes, the operator error might be part of it, but I'm getting better with lessons! Might pick up an EQ pedal, see if that helps me find my sound before I go amp spending.

I'm curious to see what pictures Phil pulls up. I bet he has some sick amps.

• Members

see how it has black caps on the center of the knobs and in my pic the caps are silver? That's pretty much a guarantee it's a C or C+ (if it's an original C+ it is worth $$$$$$)

I actually asked if he would sell it. He said never. Don't blame him, he's been original owner since he bought it. Might be a C, don't remember, I know its a II

And yes, the operator error might be part of it, but I'm getting better with lessons! Might pick up an EQ pedal, see if that helps me find my sound before I go amp spending.

I'm curious to see what pictures Phil pulls up. I bet he has some sick amps.

I didn't mean to say you weren't operating the amp right... I'm so misunderstood! :cry: Just saying having a good amp isn't as important as having fun and playing your heart out. :thu: In fact a lot of times when I do hear some of my heros ripping thru a boogie it almost makes me cry because I have the same amp and I still don't sound that good! Harsh reality check! :lol:

• Members

Haha, nah, It's fun to play, I just want more fun stuff (GAS Attacks). And I could care less if you are insulting my operating/playing abilities, I'd hope I'm still not that good after only a year. Practice, lessons, and fun with the friends, couldnt be happier. I also personally think I am doing pretty good for only a year of playing:thu:. That's just me though. And a good bit of tone probably is in the fingers, whether we like it or not.

Be interesting to go back and visit when I jam with my friend again and see if it is a C or C+.

OT, Apparently he ordered it out in Cali. while gigging full time. It was when you still had to order them and they weren't beind sold in stores. Said he payed extra for all the features it came with. He's kept it to this day. Also, he has an old ES-137 that he actually sold, regretted it, and found it again because it ended up in the hands of a player with arthritus. My friends dad had spray painted his name on the hard case, so the arthritus guy looked him up, found out he wasn't too far away, and sold him back his guitar. Amazing stories IMO.

Nice Lonestar! I love wooden Cabniets :thu:

• Members

yeap, tone definitely starts with the player.

Haha, nah, It's fun to play, I just want more fun stuff (GAS Attacks). And I could care less if you are insulting my operating/playing abilities, I'd hope I'm still not that good after only a year. Practice, lessons, and fun with the friends, couldnt be happier. I also personally think I am doing pretty good for only a year of playing:thu:. That's just me though. And a good bit of tone probably is in the fingers, whether we like it or not.

Be interesting to go back and visit when I jam with my friend again and see if it is a C or C+.

OT, Apparently he ordered it out in Cali. while gigging full time. It was when you still had to order them and they weren't beind sold in stores. Said he payed extra for all the features it came with. He's kept it to this day. Also, he has an old ES-137 that he actually sold, regretted it, and found it again because it ended up in the hands of a player with arthritus. My friends dad had spray painted his name on the hard case, so the arthritus guy looked him up, found out he wasn't too far away, and sold him back his guitar. Amazing stories IMO.

Nice Lonestar! I love wooden Cabniets
:thu:

cool story, my boogie is the same way - has every option available at the time. :thu:

Archived