OT: amp appreciation thread

RoboPimp

• Members
ITell me more about that Sound City.

It's super clean and stupid loud, but run it on ten and slam it with an appropriate boost and you get the most glorious fuzzy PT distortion ever. Also, the crazy active EQ is killer.

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Messing with some tones for the studio today with my guitar player; we plugged my 1970 Guild Quantum (bass/guitar amp, 2x 6550's) into a Hiwatt 4x12.

All I have to say is

:love::love::love::love::love:

I never knew what real amp distortion was until this. It was the sound of the 70's in a huge, 220 pound pile of awesome.

It's a Dillion SARS-caster (shipment was delayed for months because of the bird flu in Asia several years ago!) it sounds more like a Les Paul than a tele but I really like it!

Sounds cool - but I bet it weighs a ton... ;)

I have been GAS-sing for a Fender combo, and I was almost sure I was going to check out the new Champ 600's, but this trhead is making me want to check out eBay for some old Fenders instead!

I got that Princeton Amp at a local pawn shop. It worked, but it was semi-thrashed. Final cost after everything was probably closer to $300 - $350, something like that. But it's a great little recording amp, and has the tube rectifier sag / compression that the SS rectifier equipped Princeton Reverb II lacks.

The Champ 600 is a cool little amp, and I love the cosmetics of it - it would be a cool little "in the living room" amp... but so is a nice SF Princeton or Vibro Champ, and they're not all that much more expensive if you hunt around a bit.

• Members
Sounds cool - but I bet it weighs a ton...
;)

I got that Princeton Amp at a local pawn shop. It worked, but it was semi-thrashed. Final cost after everything was probably closer to $300 - $350, something like that. But it's a great little recording amp, and has the tube rectifier sag / compression that the SS rectifier equipped Princeton Reverb II lacks.

The Champ 600 is a cool little amp, and I love the cosmetics of it - it would be a cool little "in the living room" amp... but so is a nice SF Princeton or Vibro Champ, and they're not all that much more expensive if you hunt around a bit.

The Dillion is heavy -- about the same weight as a Kramer Lummie..

I am using the Velocette as my bedroom amp, mostly because the cosmetics of the amp makes it less guitar-looking, and the wife tolerates it. I would really like a Vibrochamp, but the $400 it typically goes for would mean that I'm not buying the Skreddy pedal I've been eyeing for a while, which is why I thought the 600 would makea good compromise...

After looking at FiC's Vibro, I'm not sure if I'd wind up keeping a Champ 600 though....

• Members
I am using the Velocette as my bedroom amp, mostly because the cosmetics of the amp makes it less guitar-looking, and the wife tolerates it.

I can see why - it's a very nice looking amp. :phil:

I personally think the old Marshall 2 12, with the tolex rips from various gigs and a SE tour, looked better than the pristine (=sterile) 'Cette, but she didn't quite agree. Specially after I brought in my small board and 3 guitars to keep the Marshall company. :cool:

• Members
IMHO, Pro Reverbs are highly under-rated. While they're similar to a Twin, for most players / venues, they're far more practical.
:cool:

So is a Pro Reverb a lower wattage version of the Twin? How does it compare with a Super Reverb? Are they all the same schematic or are the controls just the same?

I've been shopping around for a Fender for awhile but I haven't really nailed down what I want. I love super reverbs but I'd like to get something with 2 12's instead of the 10's just for portability. Like you said, a twin is overkill for a lot of things.

• Members

So is a Pro Reverb a lower wattage version of the Twin? How does it compare with a Super Reverb? Are they all the same schematic or are the controls just the same?

I've been shopping around for a Fender for awhile but I haven't really nailed down what I want. I
love
super reverbs but I'd like to get something with 2 12's instead of the 10's just for portability. Like you said, a twin is overkill for a lot of things.

Pretty similar. I think the Pro has lower headroom than the Super. It's got less headroom than you might expect (due to a sort of small OT). Other than that, it sounds a lot like a Twin. It's the perfect amount of wattage for the kind of shows I play, so I get enough breakup to get really good dynamics but still sound relatively clean at stage volumes. Those shows tend to be on the small side but pretty loud. Sometimes there's a PA powerful enough for the amp and sometimes there isn't and I just crank it up loud enough. Easily loud/full enough to keep up w/ our other guitarist's MIG 50 halfstack.

• Members

Pretty similar. I think the Pro has lower headroom than the Super. It's got less headroom than you might expect (due to a sort of small OT). Other than that, it sounds a lot like a Twin. It's the perfect amount of wattage for the kind of shows I play, so I get enough breakup to get really good dynamics but still sound relatively clean at stage volumes. Those shows tend to be on the small side but pretty loud. Sometimes there's a PA powerful enough for the amp and sometimes there isn't and I just crank it up loud enough. Easily loud/full enough to keep up w/ our other guitarist's MIG 50 halfstack.

That sounds like what I need. I love the slight breakup you can get from that series of amps. I'll have to keep an eye out for one to pop up locally. I was kinda surprised how affordable a lot of the older fender amps are.

• Members

This is gonna be a little out of place with all the vintage gear flying around, but I love this thing to death.

P6080310.jpg

P4140603.jpg

The overdrive sound produced by turning the clean channel volume to ten with the master anywhere above two has just sucked me in. I crank it up and get lost in it. Turn two knobs and there's full, chimey cleans just waiting to be let out.

In fact, I'm gonna go play right now.

This is gonna be a little out of place with all the vintage gear flying around, but I love this thing to death.

P4140603.jpg

The overdrive sound produced by turning the clean channel volume to ten with the master anywhere above two has just sucked me in. I crank it up and get lost in it. Turn two knobs and there's full, chimey cleans just waiting to be let out.

In fact, I'm gonna go play right now.

Interesting combination of speakers - how do you like the three of those together? What made you decide on that configuration?

• Members

Interesting combination of speakers - how do you like the three of those together? What made you decide on that configuration?

They go together great. The G12M and G12H on the bottom are two sides of the same coin, providing the foundation. Strong, sometimes loose lows with good midrange presence and a decent amount of cone breakup. The Gold on top is the wildcard: it was the last addition, made after lots of thought and plenty of saving. The amp came stock with a Vintage 30, and overall I found it made the setup too aggressive and modern. It just wasn't pretty enough. The Alnico Gold adds just the right amount of top-end sparkle and chime to even out the bottom section. Standing back and getting hit with all three speakers is something else.

I'm not a fan of classic rock, but I'm a fan of the tones. My ethos is to make new things with old tools.

• Members
JTM45_U45B.jpg

here's another couple of my favorites, a modded JTM45RI and univox U45B

The JTM45 is clean, mean, greasy with a kick stronger than a mule. Vintage, creamy breakup, not the harder crunch of later marshall circuits. 30 watts.

The U45B is my practice/recording amp, 10 watts with a old alnico speaker gives warm cleans and a rude breakup, jumpering the channels as pictured gives it a huge gain boost. Uses 6BM8 tubes which are like a EL84 and half a 12AX7 in one tube. Great tremolo too.

Archived