OT: amp appreciation thread

RoboPimp

• Members
Probably not... unless someone was trying to sleep in the next room and the walls were thin.
:)

But the Hotplate IS sitting there, so I thought it should be mentioned.
:)
OTOH, I didn't mention the mic placement; midway between the cone and the surround... and if the angle and lighting were a bit different in the picture, I might be able to tell what the guitar is (CIJ '62 Tele Custom RI?) and what color the lava lamp is (black base, clear fluid with red lava?), and what type of speakers he has loaded in that Marshall cab (greenbacks?), but I'd just be guessing...
:p:D

:D:D:D

Thanks for the commentary, Phil!

Yeah, at the time the pic was taken I was also using that rig as a late night practice rig while housemates were sleeping. It's surprising how much a measly little 1/2 watt amp will thump a 4x12!

Actually the guitar in that Nano pic is a 1967 Fender Coronado I! Single neck pup rewound be Lindy Fralin.... I love that guitar.

Greenbacks - yup!

Lava lamp - close!, it's pink lava.

Quad Reverb - oh god, I'm glad it has wheels. I've never tried to move it to a gig or anything since I got it 2 months ago. Think a Twin Reverb is heavy?

Gretsch - I'm a huge PJ Harvey fan.... that's the same model she plays. :love:

Very astute observations though. :D

:wave:

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm viewing on my Ti Powerbook, so it's not a large image... it looked "Fender", but I thought the headstock looked a bit off for a Tele, and I couldn't really tell what the cut-aways were shaped like. As I said - a guess. :o

The Quad's very nice - but I don't envy you the weight. :D I had a Super Six once upon a time, so I know what "heavier than a Twin" is all about... :lol:

• Members

I thought it was a coronado! I've got a II, what all did the fralin rewind do for it? I love that guitar, but can't do with the feedback live... my pickups sound pretty great though, the neck has tonnnnss of low end, but sounds so clear.

Well, when I bought the guitar the pickup was not working. I got the guitar for pretty cheap so I wasn't worried. Anyway, I sent it in to Mr. Fralin and he rebuilt it. As far as sound, compared to other Coronados I've played, the Fralin rebuild is much more alive... sort of like a nice P-90... the stock Coronado pups I've played seemed a bit thin and anemic by comparison.

• Members
I'm viewing on my Ti Powerbook, so it's not a large image... it looked "Fender", but I thought the headstock looked a bit off for a Tele, and I couldn't really tell what the cut-aways were shaped like. As I said - a guess.
:o

The Quad's very nice - but I don't envy you the weight.
:D
I had a Super Six once upon a time, so I know what "heavier than a Twin" is all about...
:lol:

Yeah... heavy. HEAVY. :freak:

• Members

I :love: my custom green-boardd Fender Blues Jr.

n161501268_31047718_6883.jpg

Cabinet -- Custom Teak cab w/ Oak Base.

Speaker -- Eminence Cannabis Rex

Tubes -- JJ's

Mods -- (BillM) Tone Stack | Twin Stack | Power Stiffening | Master Audio Taper | Adjustable Bias | Metal Input Jack | Reverb Mod for Green Boards | Presence Control Knob

Okay, I'm long overdue to post some pics in this thread. I'll start with my 1983 Fender Princeton Reverb II.

First, a bit of the story behind it. I purchased it at a local GC about 16 years ago (or thereabouts...) for $250. It was working, and in decent shape, and I used it "as is" for several years, but while working part-time as the manager of a buddy's gear repair / modding shop (about 10 years ago), I decided to do a little work on it.

Here's what I did:

I gutted the amp and rebuilt it all with 1% tolerance parts. Yup, I hand measured every single component and if it wasn't within 1% of the values called for in the schematic, the part wasn't used. Obsessive? Yeah, a bit - but when you have bins of parts staring you in the face all day long, you get a bit crazy... ;)

I only made three modifications to the amp's circuit: I installed a DC heater mod for the tube filaments, a negative feedback kill switch (visible on the rear panel pic). and a three way switch on the front panel for the power, so I could use a single switch for off / standby / on.

I replaced the short reverb pan with a long spring one, and replaced the send / return wires to the tank with better quality cable.

I also decided I wanted it blond / oxblood, so I did a reskin. I'm better with a soldering iron than I am with upholstery, and it has been dinged up a bit since then, but I think I did okay - not great, but okay. :)

The Fender 12F speaker (a rebranded EV 12L) was stock - and weighs a ton.

I capped off the mods with a green (what else? ;) ) jewel lamp. :phil:

Anyway, this has been my main / favorite amp for over a decade now. I really like it, and I don't think there's another PRII anywhere else quite like it. Here's the pics.

princeton_reverb_II_front_1.jpg

princeton_reverb_II_rear_1.jpg

:wave:

PS The picture in the background is "Southpark me". I heard about a site where you could create your own SP character, and my kids and I all had a go at it. My oldest daughter suggested putting it on one of the doors in the studio. I originally didn't want to, but my wife and another daughter talked me into letting the oldest daughter paint a version on the door... she also did the Beatles / Yellow Submarine mural on the wall in the studio lounge - she's a really talented artist. :)

Bonus pic: "The $80 Princeton Amp", post-restoration / "blackfacing" (it's a '71):

princeton_amp_front_1.jpg

• Members

Well I loved my Tweed Bassman RI (Hoffan bd. MM OT.). I just sold it. It was too big and loud for where I play. Just got an Emerysound SuperBaby. Loving the look of the old Hardwood Mesa Mark series combos with the wicker cane grille, I had a custom 1x10" cabinet made out of Mahogany. I can run it open or closed back. It has a a Weber blue pup in there at the moment.

JBTN5EI84HYQ.jpg

1971 Pro Reverb. All original, though I want to replace the reverb cables (the shielding is frayed and they sometimes pop or buzz). Original caps are still quiet. Never played an amp I like better.

IMHO, Pro Reverbs are highly under-rated. While they're similar to a Twin, for most players / venues, they're far more practical. :cool:

Archived