First Presidential Debate

echodeluxe

• Members

This golden parachute trend has got to stop.

Sure, but I think the big problem is that it's not a trend - it's the rich protecting their richness & they're damn good at it & damn entrenched. It's not that folks are necessarily evil, just that wherever the situation is allowed to occur, it will - it's human nature! I don't think Obama is a quick fix for this - he is as much a product of the current status quo as McCain, but I think he is a kinder & gentler status quo, one who at least has a chance of being held to some of his word by voters. One who can think & act for himself in a more 'real' way than recent Presidents. He also represents (for me) redemption for voters who have messed up SO badly SO frequently.

At least vote for the guy who doesn't appear to be a TOTAL FRUITCAKE!!! At least vote for the guy who isn't openly admitting he wants to buy & sell you then screw you into the ground!

• Replies 253
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
Wow. +1. I hadn't seen that. Yuck.
:cry:

Well, if you're willing to bear w/ me, watch this... Again, people need to look at Ralph Nader... To me, he's the last honest person out there. And I don't mean this in any kind of propaganda way. AFAIC (as far as I'm concerned), he's pro individual, pro company, pro corporation, pro government... yadda yadda), he's just saying that there needs to be checks and balances across the boards. (I know he has no chance of winning, but we need to recognize him and wonder why he and others don't have a bigger voice) Here's a clip regarding the current financial crisis:

[YOUTUBE]S7aC7CyOP0Q[/YOUTUBE]

• Members

To me, he's the last honest person out there. And I don't mean this in any kind of propaganda way.

I think there has always been a lot of positive stuff that can be said for Ralph. In another time I could easily see myself supporting him. And I'm quite respectful of folks who feel their only option is to vote green, vote independant, vote libertarian, etc. It's an honorable thing to vote your beliefs - it really is.

For me, I need to play the game. If I still lived in my home state of Indiana, I'd probably vote for someone else (maybe not!) but especially now, living in Florida, I feel there is a very REAL and very IMPORTANT opportunity to move things in the right direction, so that hopefully, one day, an independent or smaller party candidate with great experience & values can have a real chance at the White House.

• Members

I think there has always been a lot of positive stuff that can be said for Ralph. In another time I could easily see myself supporting him. And I'm quite respectful of folks who feel their only option is to vote green, vote independant, vote libertarian, etc. It's an honorable thing to vote your beliefs - it really is.

For me, I need to play the game. If I still lived in my home state of Indiana, I'd probably vote for someone else (maybe not!) but especially now, living in Florida, I feel there is a very REAL and very IMPORTANT opportunity to move things in the right direction, so that hopefully, one day, an independent or smaller party candidate with great experience & values can have a real chance at the White House.

Srsly, thanks for that. I'm fully aware of "the game". And as sad as it is, well, it is what it is. What I think is important is for more people to realize that we do not live in a true democracy and the people in charge do not have our best interests in mind. And further, contrary to popular belief, power does NOT come from the bottom to the top, but from the top to the bottom. IOW, We are given the illusion of choice. Period.

To quote Michael Moore (whether you like him or not - and he changed his view in the 2004 election), "Choosing the lesser of two evils is still choosing evil."

And to quote Arsenio Hall, "The way I see it is, either way you're getting kicked in the ass. So you have to pick the guy w/ the smaller shoe."

All I'm saying is you gotta do what you feel is right. But make no mistake, the people who are ACTUALLY in charge, don't have to worry about getting voted in.

• Members

Stupidy is making the same mistakes over and over and expecting different outcomes. Wisdom would be learning from your mistakes.

Obama pointed out that McCain has voted over 90% similar to Bush in the last several years. If you like where the country is going (economy, unemployement, public education, war in Middle East, gas prices, global warming) then vote Republican.

I'm quite biased, but I though Obama handled himself with alot more class than McCain. McCain seemed very defensive and prone to attack. He kept poorly twisting Obama's words. I think Obama came out on top, but again, I'm very biased.

• Members

Stupidy is making the same mistakes over and over and expecting different outcomes. Wisdom would be learning from your mistakes.

Obama pointed out that McCain has voted over 90% similar to Bush in the last several years. If you like where the country is going (economy, unemployement, public education, war in Middle East, gas prices, global warming) then vote Republican.

I'm quite biased, but I though Obama handled himself with alot more class than McCain. McCain seemed very defensive and prone to attack. He kept poorly twisting Obama's words. I think Obama came out on top, but again, I'm very biased.

Insanity not stupidity!

But I agree:

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/forums/showpost.php?p=30385402&postcount=45

• Members

palin is horrible and extremely inexperience, but it was a tactical move by the RNC as the vice presidential pick historically doesn't contribute much to swaying the election one way or another.

I'm not sure that is the case in this election. Normally the VP nod would go to someone like Biden. Someone who is experienced in government or business and isn't too out there on any important issues.

Here's a hilarious clip from the Couric interview. I don't even know what to say.

[YOUTUBE]L8__aXxXPVc[/YOUTUBE]

• Members

Have fun pretending to decide something. Myself? I'm voting corporate globalization above people. Which candidate is that, oh wait both.

Obama isn't looking like he's particularly going out of his way to protect rich peoples kids bank accounts though so, lesser of two egos gets mine.

BTW republican tax "cuts" just go to the wealthiest 1 percent, while simultaneously funding corporate imperialist aims. This results in:

challenges03.png

And no, I'm not pro Perot. It's just a good reference. Your choices are these, bankrupt your country NOW, bankrupt your country later, or wake up and shut down cities when you want change, European style....

• Members

Things I want to know:

-How Obama intends to address healthcare. If he wants a government controlled healthcare system ... I'm not voting for him.

-How McCain intends to "freeze spending."

-Why McCain sounded so happy when talking about the state of things in Iraq.

-Why McCain's jaw doesn't move when he talks.

-How Obama will deal with (or combat) McCain's "experience" factor.

-How Obama intends to pull out of Iraq. Is this a strategic removal? Or just an end date when we exit no matter what?

-How Obama proposes to address business tax cuts ... and conversely, how McCain will deal with cuts for "Main Street."

• Members

imho,

Obama held his own
against a veteran politician
of 27 years.
Mac has alot more experience at
Political Debate than Obama yet
Obama came back pretty hard.

Obama could have been more vicious but this is only round 1

Personally I disagreed with both about the bail out
and about Russia

But I thought Obama did very good

drasp,
great nader clip
thanx!
nader's the man

• Members

Wolf Blitzer is an effin little (fill in the blank on that one)!!!!!

Great clip, driverhasabomb. I have no problem w/ someone who doesn't have an answer, so long as they admit it and make me feel assured they are surrounded by people that do. Palin is, was, and always will be a huge FAIL. Period. I work w/ someone from Alaska, and according to her, Palin is a good governor. Do a little research on Alaska. It's a redneck state w/ snow, respectively. McCain took a gamble, it provided a few minutes of distraction, and now it's over.

• Members

Things I want to know:

-How Obama intends to address healthcare. If he wants a government controlled healthcare system ... I'm not voting for him.

-How McCain intends to "freeze spending."

-Why McCain sounded so happy when talking about the state of things in Iraq.

-Why McCain's jaw doesn't move when he talks.

-How Obama will deal with (or combat) McCain's "experience" factor.

-How Obama intends to pull out of Iraq. Is this a strategic removal? Or just an end date when we exit no matter what?

-How Obama proposes to address business tax cuts ... and conversely, how McCain will deal with cuts for "Main Street."

Honestly I think McCain is wearing thin the "experience" thing. Really it is not gaining ground with anybody, just keeping old & crotchety on board. If anything bringing it up all the time starts to look as if that is all he's got.

"I know I was there." Yeah McCain, but are you HERE NOW?

• Members

Honestly I think McCain is wearing thin the "experience" thing. Really it is not gaining ground with anybody, just keeping old & crotchety on board. If anything bringing it up all the time starts to look as if that is all he's got.

I think it's an appeal to the elderly. Clearly Obama has a certain majority of younger voters, so I think Johnny is really trying to swing the older undecideds and veterans his way.

And yeah .... + 1 for Obama for trying to stay on point.

• Members

I only watched the first hour before I couldn't take anymore, but in that hour it seemed very clear to me that Obama was the victor. Even if you don't like either one, Obama actually answered the questions while McCain continued to avoid them as most politicians do

• Members

honestly, when it comes to the foreign policy, im on board with mccain.

im not happy with either of them.

mccain was right about the pakistan thing. we may need to step up and go get bin laden and flush out the al qaeda, and we may need to do that without pakistans help if they refuse to. HOWEVER, you dont say it out loud. you dont. they are our allies. you support your allies in public, and you criticize in private.

now, if we run into pakistan guns blazing, thats scary. why? cuz pakistan will nuke india. then india will retaliate. russia and china are right next door. {censored} man. think about it. russia is gonna back up india, pakistan is OUR ally. so, if russia has india's back, who are they gonna lob missiles at?

this is where i think mccain's foreign policy wins, and where experience is key. from the way obama talks, i feel like he thinks he knows whats best and isnt gonna take criticism or help. hes just gonna do what he wants.

and on ahmedinejad, hes right too, in my opinion. you cant sit across from him, listen to the guy spew all this crap about how hes gonna wipe this "stinking corpse" of a nation off the map and tell him "nope, sorry cant do that." we gotta back israel up, no bones about it.

and if georgia joins NATO, we have to back them up. we have to. and russia is gonna be pissed. what is obama gonna do about that? i dont feel confident about his ability to deal with that, or any foreign policy stuff.

the reason im "on the fence" is because both of the candidates scare me, and they both make me unhappy. there are things they both say that make me cringe but, who knows what will happen.

im hoping that maybe obama is just a slick talker and he will get into office and get down to business.

• Members
honestly, when it comes to the foreign policy, im on board with mccain.

im not happy with either of them.

mccain was right about the pakistan thing. we may need to step up and go get bin laden and flush out the al qaeda, and we may need to do that without pakistans help if they refuse to. HOWEVER, you dont say it out loud. you dont. they are our allies. you support your allies in public, and you criticize in private.

now, if we run into pakistan guns blazing, thats scary. why? cuz pakistan will nuke india. then india will retaliate. russia and china are right next door. {censored} man. think about it. russia is gonna back up india, pakistan is OUR ally. so, if russia has india's back, who are they gonna lob missiles at?

this is where i think mccain's foreign policy wins, and where experience is key. from the way obama talks, i feel like he thinks he knows whats best and isnt gonna take criticism or help. hes just gonna do what he wants.

and on ahmedinejad, hes right too, in my opinion. you cant sit across from him, listen to the guy spew all this crap about how hes gonna wipe this "stinking corpse" of a nation off the map and tell him "nope, sorry cant do that." we gotta back israel up, no bones about it.

and if georgia joins NATO, we have to back them up. we have to. and russia is gonna be pissed. what is obama gonna do about that? i dont feel confident about his ability to deal with that, or any foreign policy stuff.

the reason im "on the fence" is because both of the candidates scare me, and they both make me unhappy. there are things they both say that make me cringe but, who knows what will happen.

im hoping that maybe obama is just a slick talker and he will get into office and get down to business.

You should vote for mccain :facepalm:

• Members

Seems like McCain took what Obama said on Pakistan out of context a bit -- or at least embellished a bit. I don't know where the direct quote is, but from how Obama came back to the subject...... I felt like something wasn't right w/ McCain's story. But I agree with Obama in that our focus has been in the wrong place and to a certain extent I agree with McCain on the fact that we should be a little more hush hush on it.

Also just remembered: I want to hear McCain talk about education. IIRC, he never mentioned it ..... and since my wife is a teacher, that's a pretty important topic in the Crxsh house.

• Members

Also just remembered: I want to hear McCain talk about education. IIRC, he never mentioned it ..... and since my wife is a teacher, that's a pretty important topic in the Crxsh house.

yeah me too. i want to hear what mccain wants to do here. i feel like obama is gonna beat him out in my eyes when it comes to stateside stuff.

Archived