2 Things I Just Learned

Eddie27

• Members

1. Good cables make a huge difference. I finally bought a good pair (Death Valley) and it makes a world of difference. I play a Reverend Charger w/ P90s thru a Savage Macht 12. The noise that I thought was unavoidable with P90s disappeared 95% with the DV cables.

2. My Danelectro Cool Cat Fuzz is a tonesucker. I tested all my pedals alone (Ibanez DE7, Visual Sound Hwy 66, Boss TU-2, and MXR Micro Amp) and the Cool Cat was the only one that affected tone. Even disengaged, it sounded like my tone control was rolled halfway back.

• Members

2. My Danelectro Cool Cat Fuzz is a tonesucker. I tested all my pedals alone (Ibanez DE7, Visual Sound Hwy 66, Boss TU-2, and MXR Micro Amp) and the Cool Cat was the only one that affected tone. Even disengaged, it sounded like my tone control was rolled halfway back.

maybe it's the cables :idk:

edit: i realize i may be trolling, it's all in good fun :wave:

• Members

Well, if they were being tested one at a time, it could be that the one that's true bypass did sound duller - the buffers in the other pedals will likely brighten up the tone. Buffers aren't always bad, after all... :wave:

• Members

Well, if they were being tested one at a time, it could be that the one that's true bypass did sound duller - the buffers in the other pedals will likely brighten up the tone. Buffers aren't always bad, after all...
:wave:

+2

Don't give up on that Cool Cat, just don't leave it alone with no buffer as a friend.

• Members

oh FFS, everyone wanted TB pedals and now TB pedals are tone suckers....will this nonsense ever end?

I keep my Korg DT-10 tuner at the start of my pedalboard because it's got a good buffer - it gives me a bit more sparkle since when I gig I'm using 30ft of cable out to the guitar.

I think "tone suck" is a bit of a harsh term, because no matter what you use it'll affect your tone somehow, and not always for the worse. I guess true bypass is just more predictable, and if you've got a series of true bypass pedals it'll be no worse than a cable, you can always buffer it at either end...

:idk:

• Members

All I know is I tried each pedal by itself and compared it to my guitar being plugged straight in. The CC was the only one that affected the tone. Maybe I got a bad one. Obviously I'm not into expensive pedals, but it's probably not a coincidence the $30 pedal was the only one that affected the tone.

The old cables I used were the ones you get at GC with the short blue sleeves over the wires.

• Members

I keep my Korg DT-10 tuner at the start of my pedalboard because it's got a good buffer - it gives me a bit more sparkle since when I gig I'm using 30ft of cable out to the guitar.

30ft !? :eekphil:

Where are you playing? The Moon?!

• Members

All I know is I tried each pedal by itself and compared it to my guitar being plugged straight in. The CC was the only one that affected the tone. Maybe I got a bad one. Obviously I'm not into expensive pedals, but it's probably not a coincidence the $30 pedal was the only one that affected the tone.

The old cables I used were the ones you get at GC with the short blue sleeves over the wires.

It was a coincidence. It IS true bypass. Nothing there TO affect the TONE!

• Members

I know that seems totally logical, and who knows? Maybe you do have a bad one. But the Cool Cats are all true bypass, which means by the way they're wired that, in the traditional sense, they don't suck tone. Whatever comes in is directly sent out when the pedal is off. A lot of pedals, though, including all of the other pedals you mentioned, have a buffer. Admittedly, I don't know much about buffers, but the basic concept is that it boosts the signal regardless of whether the pedal is on or off. So it takes in something, boosts it, and then sends it out. This is where the traditional "tone suck" comes into play, because it's technically changing the signal. So people get really into true bypass pedals because hey, it doesn't change your tone, so it must be perfect!

But nothing is perfect. When it goes through tons of feet of cable, your signal is degraded. Worse tone, lower volume, whatever it is. The better the cable, the better it sounds, but even the best cables can't help but be cables. So a true bypass pedal will take in your degraded signal, send it out near-perfectly, and then that degraded signal will go through another lengthy cable where it will degrade further. A buffered pedal will boost the degraded signal and then send it through.

I hope that makes sense. Please, someone who knows more about this and knows better how to explain it, step in and fix my mistakes. But that's the basic idea. So let's say you have a ten foot cable from your guitar to your pedal, then another twenty feet from your pedal to your amp. When you plug in straight, you just use the one cable, so that's ten feet of signal degradation - no big deal. But when you test out the true bypass Cool Cat, you're sending that signal through thirty feet of signal degradation - and there's where you'll hear it. So it seems like it's the Cool Cat, but in truth it's the fact that the cool cat isn't doing anything that's the problem.

Again, hope that makes sense. I've gone on way too long. Basically, buffers can be good, and if you have one somewhere in your chain and your Cool Cat Fuzz isn't defective, the Cool Cat Fuzz won't "suck" any tone. Try testing the TU-2 in a chain, then individually test all of the other pedals after or before it, and I bet you won't hear any tone loss with the Cool Cat. :)

Archived