The problem with the M9 and M13

John_McEnroe

• Members
BTBAM gave me a setting for one of the distortion models that sounds EXACTLY like the BJFE Model H I owned. After hearing that, I was very impressed.

wow...

does this mean that all those people argueing 6 months ago that BJFE pedals were 'worth every penny' will take it back now? :cop:

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
No flames, but an alternative POV if I may...
:)

I am a recording engineer, and I own a studio where I produce, record, and occasionally play on recordings. I see the occasional cover band, but more often, it's original material that we're working on in here. Because of that, and because of my forum activities, I get to see a fair amont of different rigs and approaches.

Honestly, I don't see a lot of difference in the approaches people take with multiple pedals vs multi-effects. Sure, there's some, and a few are rather big exceptions to that, but for the most part, I find that players tend to find a few favorite sounds and stick to those more often than not - whether those sounds are a result of using pedals, rack gear or floor / tabletop multi-effects.
:idk:
In other words, I think a lot of multi-effects players tend to find "their sound" in the units after spending time auditioning the various options and adjusting / tweaking their setups, just as pedal players do. Sonic merits and preferences issues aside, the main difference in terms of that process is that the multi-effects players have the option of storing and recalling their favorites fairly easily, which does allow them to "collect" more favorites, but due to the instant recall, it's even easier for them in some respects to continue to migrate back to their favorites more often than not. With pedals, it tends to be more all or nothing - either you set and forget, or you're fairly often adjusting.

Because of that, I personally disagree with the idea that "because you can bring up a whole new pedal board for every song, you end up losing any chance you had at having a distinctive sound". Not everyone is using their multi-effects unit that way, and I think the distinctiveness more often originates in the player's personal tastes and preferences, and the way they utilize their gear.

Look, the gear's important - you'll have a heck of a tough time finding someone who is a bigger gear lover than me...
:o;)
but let's face it - the gear is not as important as the ideas are; as the songs are, or the arrangements or the notes the various band members decide to play or not play, and how that all interacts and
feels
and makes the listener feel... gear is
very
important, but it's not the only thing that gives a band or a player a musical identity. Some players are
known
for their quest for different sounds, and yet they still manage to sound like themselves, regardless of what sort of gear they're running through. George Harrison being but one classic example. While the tools and technology were very limited and somewhat primitive by today's standards, he still managed to always sound like GH whether he's being flanged, running through a Leslie, playing slide, with or without OD and fuzz, etc. It was his touch and his phrasing and his musicality that made him identifiable and distinctive even more so than the different sounds or effects.

Now as far as "option paralysis" is concerned, I will agree with you to a point there. It can be a real issue with modern gear. It's easy to get lazy and just go with the presets, or to go to the other extreme and get lost in an endless sea of options and spend way too much time auditioning and adjusting instead of actually making music.

The other day I was having a discussion with Craig Anderton about this issue, and he had a really good approach IMO: When he's searching through various sounds (in this case, I believe we were discussing virtual instrument or sample library sounds, but the same holds true for guitar effects), once he finds something he really likes, he
stops
. Even if he's only part of the way through auditioning the various available options, he stops and moves on to actually playing. He may come back to it later and tweak it to better fit with the rest of the arrangement, but he doesn't get overwhelmed in the sound selection process - he finds something that "works" for him, and then doesn't belabor or agonize over it.

MY GOODNESS, IS THE MAN CRAZY!?!?!
;):lol:

Crazy like a fox... here's a lot of wisdom in there.
:idea:

Look, I know all about the endless pursuit of the one, true, ultimate tone. It's a big part of my job... but the bigger part of my job is to capture something
musical
, and tone alone does not music make. It can be inspiring, it can be identifying and cool and a lot of things, but the actual personality and individuality and musicality has to come from the individual player - the gear alone - with many options or few - isn't really going to do that for you.

I'd personally rather have many options available than only a few (due to the varied nature of the different things I work on), but I can appreciate a more limited and easily identifiable tonal "identity" such as players like Mark Knopfler, Brian May or Roy Buchanan are known for too. But ultimately, it's really less about the gear to me than in how it is used and what we wind up getting out of it - and if it "works" musically or not. I appreciate flexibility and options because I'm called upon to have different things on hand and know how to "get" certain types of sounds, and I want to be ready for whatever might walk through the door... but as the old recording engineer's saying goes...
"just because you have 24 tracks available on the reel to reel doesn't mean you always have to fill them all".

:idea::)

I totally agree with you, and for someone working in a recording studio you definitely need to be able to cover as many bases as possible.

The soft synth preset thing is totally true as well. People endlessly browse presets. My music is comprised of probably half synths, and I always use the same two synths for everything. Not only does my stuff sound cohesive, but I don't spend any time browsing presets.

• Members

These are great sounding units, and are a very good deal of you are in a cover band or just like to jam. For a band that is writing original material though, they have a real inherent problem. Too much choice. Because you can bring up a whole new pedal board for every song, you end up losing any chance you had at having a distinctive sound. Sure it might not be as much fun to use only one delay pedal on every song, but if helps give you a cohesive sound. The best records have a distinct sonic character that carry on throughout throughout the whole album. You don;t need a million sounds people! (except cover bands).

Flame away.
:cop:

I just didn't like the way the M9 sounded so I sold it...

• Members

doves.jpg

Jez Williams from Doves uses a Boss GT5 (or something similar) live all the time... actually he has been using it since they first came about. Also notice the POD in the background...

chadsmaller.jpg

Dominc Chad from Mansun used to use a multi FX aswell as lovetones...

My point is, they always sound like them, no matter what FX they used... and they were huge into multi fx..

• Members
doves.jpg

Jez Williams from Doves uses a Boss GT5 (or something similar) live all the time... actually he has been using it since they first came about. Also notice the POD in the background...

chadsmaller.jpg

Dominc Chad from Mansun used to use a multi FX aswell as lovetones...

My point is, they always sound like them, no matter what FX they used... and they were huge into multi fx..

Yeah I said it already about 3-4 times in this thread... of course there are guys who can make them work. There are always exceptions to the rule.

Archived