It ticks me off..

timme_v

• Members
Guitar rigs are different. You can get a reasonable sized combo amp, a guitar and a pedalboard in a modestly sized car (I know, I've done it)

Haha so true. My last car was a MINI, and I currently rock a Civic coupe. I get my entire rig in there no prob. 2 guitars, pedal board, halfstack, and usually misc. band stuff too. plus at least one other person. Its like a big game of tetris :lol:

• Members

yeah this isn't rocket science. contact in advance to share equipment. even if something happens the day of, contact in advance of the show. otherwise {censored} off. show professionalism.

you can run into so many problems with people running amps improperly or using effects into an amp improperly and blowing something. i'd rather be a dick than accommodate some amateur. if a band is the headliner and they don't have gear, then they are probably lame but for whatever reason they have a local following

Lest you wonder... "ticked" instead of "pissed" in thread titles please. :cop:

As far as the topic, if something blows on you, I may help out and loan you mine, but if you're obviously rough / abusive on your gear, I reserve the right to say "no". If you "forgot" something and are too far away to run and get it before the show - ditto. If you just showed up without making any arrangements for the show and getting what you would need to do the show and just automatically "expect" me to loan you my gear, you can take a hike.

• Members

we did a gig once and the band on before us were using our drum kit.

their drummer put the bass drum through on their last song cos he was hitting the whole kit so hard.

he didn't seem to give a {censored}....the sound man tried to repair it with tape and stuff....and they didn't even stay for our set....they just {censored}ed off!

we only let people we know use our stuff now....and they have to be decent people too.

i think it's fair to say no to other people.....this stuff costs a lot of money to buy.

• Members
Haha so true. My last car was a MINI, and I currently rock a Civic coupe. I get my entire rig in there no prob. 2 guitars, pedal board, halfstack, and usually misc. band stuff too. plus at least one other person. Its like a big game of tetris
:lol:

Yeah our bassist has a mini, he gets an Ampeg SVT head, a 4x10 and a 1x15 cab, his pedalboard and his bass in a hardcase in. It's amazing, a whole full stack bass rig.

• Members

As a general rule, I don't lend out equipment or share with other bands at a gig. This is not only because I don't want my stuff to get ruined, but also because I want to be able to leave whenever I feel like it (and not have to wait around for the band after their 10th encore at 3am :facepalm: ).

• Members
We only let people we know well use our gear. And its gonna sound like we're a bunch of dicks, but some of our friends have no way of repairing/ replacing our stuff so that's an automatic "no". I worked my ass off to afford the gear I've got, maybe they should try the same
:idea:
. I played a show where WE booked it and got them on the bill, they showed up with no amps demanding to use ours AND change their slot.
To top it off the bass player needed a strap.
WTF. And then they left before our set, classy move.

My drummer has been pretty lax about sharing his kit, and most of the bands we play with are the same. That's their deal, not mine. Usually at the show we play we bring an SVT for the bass rig for the night, someone else brings a kit, and unless something is worked out prior you bring at least a head if not a whole amp.

AND NOBODY USES MY BOARD

To be fair, I forgot my strap in my other case once :facepalm:

Won't make that mistake again, the next day I bought a guitar strap for every guitar I own.

• Members
Lest you wonder... "ticked" instead of "pissed" in thread titles please.
:cop:

As far as the topic, if something blows on you, I may help out and loan you mine, but if you're obviously rough / abusive on your gear, I reserve the right to say "no". If you "forgot" something and are too far away to run and get it before the show - ditto. If you just showed up without making any arrangements for the show and getting what you would need to do the show and just automatically "expect" me to loan you my gear, you can take a hike.

unless the thread is about urinating :cop:

I cringe for the day when something of mine breaks pre show and I need to borrow. I hate asking other people for stuff.

• Members
I was also once told that professionals all share gear. Really? REALLY?

A three-band tour came through here recently, and one of the drummers told me that they were all sharing gear and rotating which band's gear got set up each night. :idk:

• Members
A three-band tour came through here recently, and one of the drummers told me that they were all sharing gear and rotating which band's gear got set up each night.
:idk:

So they all HAD the gear they need, and the sharing was pre-arranged and agreed beforehand amongst people that respect each other. What's wrong with that? :confused:

• Members

Yeah I've played with touring bands who've shared some stuff.

I also once forgot to bring a strap to a gig (Yeah I know...), but I just nicked one off our other guitarist's backup guitar so it was all good.

• Members

its strange noones mentioned the preference/ comfort of using your own gear. i didnt just randomly select guitars, amps, effects, etc. i use them because they sound and feel 'right' to me.

i could get by playing other {censored} but it would feel strange and certainly wouldnt be optimal. itd be like a professional driver training year round for a race using cars customized to his driving, then for a race its to much trouble to bring a car so he stands around in the parking lot asking to borrow someones car. :confused:

:)

• Members
To be fair, I forgot my strap in my other case once
:facepalm:

Won't make that mistake again, the next day I bought a guitar strap for every guitar I own.

Exactly.

But are you complaining about all the assholes who didn't lend you a strap that night, or did you learn a valuable lesson, step up to the financial commitment you had to make to putting on a good show and become a little more professional?

Like Phil said, there's a difference between helping a band out of a "{censored} happens" situation and perpetuating some ass clown's mistaken impression that the world owes him an amplifier.

• Members

its strange noones mentioned the preference/ comfort of using your own gear. i didnt just randomly select guitars, amps, effects, etc. i use them because they sound and feel 'right' to me.

Once again, my limited experience of this sort of behaviour suggests that the people who turn up with no gear are the sort of clowns who want to be rock and roll stars but don't feel the need to commit their hard-earned cash to buying proper gear instead of spending it all on beer, hairspray and girls' jeans.

• Members
Once again, my limited experience of this sort of behaviour suggests that the people who turn up with no gear are the sort of clowns who want to be rock and roll stars but don't feel the need to commit their hard-earned cash to buying proper gear instead of spending it all on beer, hairspray and girls' jeans.

:thu:......ha ha ha....love it!

• Members

+1

• Members

I've had enough stuff borrowed and not returned or used in the proper way where I generally don't loan {censored} to anybody. I made an exception to my rule and lent a band a couple cables at our CD release show a couple months ago, and the band didn't even have working guitars.

Sorry, I'm not lending a ES-339 to some amateur clowns. Come prepared as you can, and if something happens, I'll do what I can to help... if you're respectful.

Archived