George L's suck!

Vargus

• Members

Ever since getting these things all i've had is problems. I have rewired them dozens of times but they will eventually crack and cut out no matter what. What are some other cables that will keep my tone and be quiet? I need something reliable, and George L's haven't been cutting it.

• Members

my impression as well. ive been using them for about 3 or 4 years and have had zero problems.
:)

either its user error or youre just really, really unlucky.

+1

I use them for more than 3 years now and never had problems with them.

I got a friend who tried the lava ones and he is quite pleased with them too.

• Members

I don't really trust George L's myself. Sure, you don't have to solder, but what happens when the connection starts to corrode or oxidize? If you've made a clean solder joint, the electrical connection is not going to be in danger of weakening due to corrosion (since oxidation can't occur inside the joint as it could in a non-soldered connection, unless the whole thing is made of gold).

i dunno, if you can solder, I would just make cables out of neutrik jacks and cables which you can get from Redco for reasonable prices.

• Members

solderless cables are nice because of ease of use, not because of durability. it goes without saying that a solderless attachment isn't going to be ultra-durable. your issue has a lot more to do with the attachment of cable-plug than it does the cable itself.

if you constantly plug-in and unplug your pedals then solderless probably isn't for you. i haven't had any issue at all with my Lava kit, but i didn't wire it up until i was sure about my pedal layout...so i've probably only tinkered with the cables a handful of times over the course of months. i'm pretty sure that's what both Lava and George L are meant for anyway...making custom length cables for finished boards.

I don't think solderless cables are automatically "bad", but you do have to make them correctly.

I have not used the George L's; I'm using Planet Waves. But when I first started making them, I had a couple that didn't work reliably, or wouldn't work at all - it wasn't a bad design, or a failure of the product, but a failure on my end in terms of "best practices" in terms of their construction - in a nutshell, I was pushing the cable into the plug only until I felt resistance, when I should have pushed "beyond" that. Once I started doing so, and holding the cable firmly in position until I had the set screw fully tightened, I stopped having problems. And I have a LOT of Planet Waves connectors on my three large boards...

• Members

George L's are fine if you make them right!

oh snap

I use GL's and the Lava kit on two different boards - the GLs are MUCH easier to make and I've had zero issues with them going on 6 years now. The Lavas are good, but are a bigger PITA to put together IMO. Once they're working though, I've had no problems and they do make for a tighter fit on a cramped board than the GLs do.

• Members

oh snap

I use GL's and the Lava kit on two different boards - the GLs are MUCH easier to make and I've had zero issues with them going on 6 years now. The Lavas are good, but are a bigger PITA to put together IMO. Once they're working though, I've had no problems and they do make for a tighter fit on a cramped board than the GLs do.

+1

Archived