George L's suck!

Vargus

• Members

Ever since getting these things all i've had is problems. I have rewired them dozens of times but they will eventually crack and cut out no matter what. What are some other cables that will keep my tone and be quiet? I need something reliable, and George L's haven't been cutting it.

Did you ever think you are putting them together wrong? I know you are not and we are all wrong but maybe just maybe you are an idiot and I am guessing but you are also under the age of 25 which means you know everything and we are all wrong. Maybe you should learn how to read instructions and then the cables you put together will work and you won't have a peoblem.

• Members

if you constantly plug-in and unplug your pedals then solderless probably isn't for you. i haven't had any issue at all with my Lava kit, but i didn't wire it up until i was sure about my pedal layout...so i've probably only tinkered with the cables a handful of times over the course of months. i'm pretty sure that's what both Lava and George L are meant for anyway...making custom length cables for finished boards.

This is the key. I use monorail cables with George L ends (I wanted Lava ends, but I couldn't get enough fast enough). I've had them wired up in my boards for almost two years now, and have never once had a problem. Once they're in there, they're in there. The key is not to be un-plugging them all the time.

• Members

Did you ever think you are putting them together wrong? I know you are not and we are all wrong but maybe just maybe you are an idiot and I am guessing but you are also under the age of 25 which means you know everything and we are all wrong. Maybe you should learn how to read instructions and then the cables you put together will work and you won't have a peoblem.

:lol:

• Members

My lavas have been steady since I got them. The planet waves kit is the way to go IMO if you want solderless. You don't get the tiny connector, but they are reliable. I still have a few.

over winter break I'm gonna make all my own. GLS pancake connectors, mogami cable. I've made a few, they work great. Gonna do up the whole board with em.

• Members

Allthough it deviates somewhat from the manufacturer's instuctions, I've had near 100% success with George L's using this assembly method:

1) Cut the cable using a sharp (new) utility knife blade, making sure that the cut is straight.

2) Roll the cut-end of cable between your fingertips to bring it back to a round shape. (This removes any compression of the cable from the knife blade being pushed down through it)

3) Insert the cable into the plug hole, pushing down fairly hard past the point where the cable bottoms out.

4) While maintaining the hold-down pressure of step #3, bend the cable all the way over into the u-shaped cable exit slot.

5) Thread the thumb-screw down as tightly as possible.

I came up with this method after having problems when I initially used the product. Since using this assembly method, I've had only one connection fail after making hundreds of cables.

• Members

Ever since getting these things all i've had is problems. I have rewired them dozens of times but they will eventually crack and cut out no matter what. What are some other cables that will keep my tone and be quiet? I need something reliable, and George L's haven't been cutting it.

If you do a lot of gigging or touring, solderless cables are going to crap out on you at some point do to vibration during transport even if you assemble them properly. It's just a given. I had the same problem with mine after a years worth of gigging, touring, and recording.

To fix the problem I solder mine to Switchcraft tip ends. Since I started doing that I have yet to have one fail on me in 5 years.

I use the small barrel ends to maximize my board space. :o

P1010904.jpg

• Members

This. You're flirting with disaster if you gig with solderless cables.

I will be sure to tell Vais tech as he just ordered another 100 plugs from me for Steves and Dweezils rigs. :p

Ok dick mode off.....;)

The Lava system is different than the set screw method. It is more time consuming and it takes 15 minutes or so of tweaking to understand how to make them. As soon as you "get it" its brain dead easy.

The extra effort makes the right angle plugs as reliable as soldered...for me anyway. A dab of Locktite on the cap and you can pull a 3 wheeler with it and will work perfectly. i did it :)

Solderless is not for everyone and honestly it has such a stigma we will never sell everyone on it and thats fine. It def fills a need out there and there are happy users all over the world.

If anyone ever has questions or have trouble I am always around to help. sales@lavacable.com

• Members

I will be sure to tell Vais tech as he just ordered another 100 plugs from me for Steves and Dweezils rigs.
:p

Ok dick mode off.....
;)

The Lava system is different than the set screw method. It is more time consuming and it takes 15 minutes or so of tweaking to understand how to make them. As soon as you "get it" its brain dead easy.

The extra effort makes the right angle plugs as reliable as soldered...for me anyway. A dab of Locktite on the cap and you can pull a 3 wheeler with it and will work perfectly. i did it
:)

Solderless is not for everyone and honestly it has such a stigma we will never sell everyone on it and thats fine. It def fills a need out there and there are happy users all over the world.

If anyone ever has questions or have trouble I am always around to help.
sales@lavacable.com

No worries about dick mood, I was kind of being a dick anyway. But to be fair those guys have a tech, I on the other hand don't and just sling my board back in the van without checking anything before firing it up at the next gig or practice.

When my George L's worked it was great having a nice and tidy board, and to be honest I haven't tried the Lava system so I'll only comment on my experience with George L's.

Archived