Phaser recommendations...for someone who doesnt really like phase all that much

Johansolo

• Members

Not sure I saw your budget, and this one isn't cheap, but the Effectrode Phaseomatic is great. It can definitely be subtle, because of the resonance control, which adds some kind of a feedback to your signal. Not sure how it works, but moving it clockwise lessons the phase effect. It also fattens and thickens up your tone somewhat, great with single coils. TUrn the resonance control counter clockwise all the way, and you have a really nice but not over the top phase tone. The speed control can make it extremly slow, like one cycle every minute, or crank it, and it's almost a ring mod/super fast tremolo.

I dig it, not for everyone, but I do see it as a great tone shaping tool - you can leave it on a lot, even when you think you wouldn't, just crank the resonance, and it adds some warmth without sounding like a phaser.

IMG_1480.jpg

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I love the EHX stereo polyphase, myself. I also do not like phasers that much but this one can be really subtle and nice.

You can dial in resonance, speed, start and stop of the phase sweep, waveform (can do squarewave phasing), do manual phase mode (via control voltage, so you can put in your own LFOs/waveforms or sweep with your foot and an exp pedal), and you can also do an envelope follower mode that can be either kind of generally touch sensitive in a subtle way (follows your strumming) or you can do a faster response mode that is more like a regular envelope filter.

Also, since you can set start and stop position in the sweep, you can set the envelope to either go down or up across a sweep length of your choice.

Really neat pedal and not super expensive for its features (oh also it's in stereo and you can control rate via expression in the LFO mode).

I don't think the sounds he dials in in this demo sound quite as smooth as the way i usually set it up, but you can get a decent general idea:
[YOUTUBE]5iZyirNCM2c[/YOUTUBE]

i usually set the phase range closer together so its more subtle.

• Members

cheers for all the input guys. im still undecided.

my friend just recently sold a mxr 100...i should have asked to try it out beforehand...but i wasnt in the phaser mood then.

maybe this is just a passing phase (pun intended) for me, but i do love pedals/circuits/builds in general...so im taking every suggestion into consideration.

on top of whats already been suggested...what about the

malekko onmicron analog phaser
main_17313.jpg

Red Witch moon phaser
RedWitchDeluxeMoonPhaserPedal.jpg

Earthquaker devices Grand Orbiter
orbiter.jpg

• Members

I've been very happy with the MXR Custom Shop Script Logo Phase 90...not the '74 reissue.

I don't care for the standard block logo Phase 90 at all, but if you want to give both a go, buy the EVH Phase 90; it uses the same circuitry as the block logo and the Custom Shop Script Logo models, and you can toggle them back and forth.

Some people have raved about the MXR '74 Script Logo reissue (which is a fourth model of Phase 90 they offer- block logo, Custom Shop Script and EVH being the first three), but on spec, I find the lack of an LED option and 9v input to be a PIA...it's battery only. To get those options, you have to get the pedal modded.

• Members

ive got no issues with opening up the pedal for modding/rehousing.

im just going through the online stores (that are local to me as im located in aus)

and these are some other ones

Tc electronics
tc-electronic_xii-phaser.jpg

subdecay quasar/baby
quasarbig.jpg

SubdecayBabyQuasar.JPG

behringer
behringer-ph9-classic-90-deg-phase-shift

VP1_P0355_Right_web.jpg

Maxon PT999
pt999.jpg

if anyone has any experience on any of those for subtle phasers tones...would appreciate your thoughts...

• Members
ive got no issues with opening up the pedal for modding/rehousing.

im just going through the online stores (that are local to me as im located in aus)

and these are some other ones

Tc electronics

tc-electronic_xii-phaser.jpg

subdecay quasar/baby

quasarbig.jpg

SubdecayBabyQuasar.JPG

behringer

behringer-ph9-classic-90-deg-phase-shift

VP1_P0355_Right_web.jpg

Maxon PT999

pt999.jpg

if anyone has any experience on any of those for subtle phasers tones...would appreciate your thoughts...

I bought the Phase Tone to replace my mu-tron on my board (was taking up a lot of space) it just didn't sound that great, kind of a cold, sterile phase w/o enough control, (no depth control). I ended up returning it, coming to the conclusion there just is no worthy replacement to the mu-tron even for live use... The Mu-tron can do everything from slight phase to extreme phase... Im passionate about that thing, it just sounds so damn good, it fits perfect in a mix too...

• Members

I think the Phase 45/DOD 201/TF Nebula tips are good ones - they are all reasonably priced and fairly easy to find, and more importantly seem to be in line with what you're wanting.

If you want a little more versatility, the Malekko Phase can be set to be fairly mellow or more extreme if you want. It has a great 'chew' to it, so lots of character - most phasers I've played through lately are just so bland and precise sounding. I'm not a big phase guy either, but aside from an old Phase 100 which I loved the Malekko is best thing I've played in a very long time.

• Members

I was on the hunt for the perfect phaser just a few days ago and I ended up going with a Fulltone Univibe pedal instead. I liked the tone of the MXR Phase 90, the problem was the lack of true bypass. I know that doesn't necessarily mean much and most people wouldn't notice a difference anyway, but I'm a nazi when it comes to my tone and I've had enough tone suckers in my day to care about true bypass.

I was targeting the Red Witch moon phaser but the price was just way too expensive for a pedal that I may use once or twice in a show. Ultimately after checking out the Univibe pedals I felt like I would get more use out of it but more importantly it felt more "alive". I wouldn't mind having the MXR Phase 90, but I would have to have it modded for true bypass.

• Members

i ended up plugging my EHX small clone (chorus in) and its almost the sound i want...almost!

maybe i should check out some vibes again...onluy one ive had was the BBE soulvibe a while back ago...

it really sounds like a 2-stage phaser is what your're after! Dod 201, MXR Phase 45, Mojohand Nebula.. check em out!

Archived