The Zvex InventoBox! ONE YEAR LATER!!!!

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Quote Originally Posted by sparkfriction

View Post

yeah the price, but two or three standalone vexter pedals cost more idn_smilie.gif

Keep in mind that there's also an unloaded version of this pedal, which makes no sound whatsoever until you build something for it yourself that costs $300.

Ridiculous price point for basically a half-assembled pedal which doesn't do anything.

Then, hey, for an extra hundred bucks we'll actually make it do something i guess...

As people have said, if you know enough about how to make pedals to make something for the inventobox you can just put your own pots into an enclosure.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by sparkfriction

View Post

yeah the price, but two or three standalone vexter pedals cost more idn_smilie.gif

Keep in mind that there's also an unloaded version of this pedal, which makes no sound whatsoever until you build something for it yourself that costs $300.

Ridiculous price point for basically a half-assembled pedal which doesn't do anything.

Then, hey, for an extra hundred bucks we'll actually make it do something i guess...

As people have said, if you know enough about how to make pedals to make something for the inventobox you can just put your own pots into an enclosure.

• Members

That's the whole thing...If you're a diy guy, you're making pedals from scratch using schematics of the net. If you're not, you go buy two, three or four REAL effects for that $400.

I'm also gonna have to stick up for zvex though. Dispite his meh effects the last couple years, he's still one of the few people that put FUZZ back on the map. Since the invention of the big muff, not one boutique builder I can think of has been that popular selling a new version of a classic guitar pedal. That and the seek/probe stuff is more then enough for me to respect the guy and to see him as one of the most inovating modern pedal builders. Can't blame him for not coming up with something super cool ever year for the rest of his life. Most so-called bootique builders just sell nothing but slightly modified clones of a scrambler/muff/fuzzface/bender/rangemaster/etc year after year after year, without anyone bitching about it.

But Zvex's reputation on the interwebz damaged him a little I guess. The word got out pretty quickly that his $200 fuzz factory was made of just a handfull of cheap components, and he acted like a complete gestapo officer at all the diy boards. His prices are what made me wait to buy -instead of build- a fuzz factory untill the vexter series came to live. A used one that issmile.gif

• Members

That's the whole thing...If you're a diy guy, you're making pedals from scratch using schematics of the net. If you're not, you go buy two, three or four REAL effects for that $400.

I'm also gonna have to stick up for zvex though. Dispite his meh effects the last couple years, he's still one of the few people that put FUZZ back on the map. Since the invention of the big muff, not one boutique builder I can think of has been that popular selling a new version of a classic guitar pedal. That and the seek/probe stuff is more then enough for me to respect the guy and to see him as one of the most inovating modern pedal builders. Can't blame him for not coming up with something super cool ever year for the rest of his life. Most so-called bootique builders just sell nothing but slightly modified clones of a scrambler/muff/fuzzface/bender/rangemaster/etc year after year after year, without anyone bitching about it.

But Zvex's reputation on the interwebz damaged him a little I guess. The word got out pretty quickly that his $200 fuzz factory was made of just a handfull of cheap components, and he acted like a complete gestapo officer at all the diy boards. His prices are what made me wait to buy -instead of build- a fuzz factory untill the vexter series came to live. A used one that issmile.gif

• Members

Well, there's no doubt that zvex has been important and made some unique/cool effects in the past. I also have to agree he hasn't really come up with something groundbreaking in a while that lives up to his reputation for making unique/weird effects. We'll see what he brings to namm this year, I guess.

• Members

Well, there's no doubt that zvex has been important and made some unique/cool effects in the past. I also have to agree he hasn't really come up with something groundbreaking in a while that lives up to his reputation for making unique/weird effects. We'll see what he brings to namm this year, I guess.

• Members

He's got a business and people who rely on him for support.

Maybe the Inventobox wasn't a good idea - time will tell - but he at least tried something different, and I dig ALL of the effects I have from him.

I'm not a do-it-yourself guy so I doubt I'll ever get an Inventobox, but I will buy the "Real-time Loop Junky" when it comes out.

Flame suit engaged. wave.gif

Archived