What was the last band YOU discovered?

Ryan.

• Members

I've been sitting here trying to think about it.

A band that wasn't recommended by iTunes genius. Or that "others recently purchased. Or that Pandora decided sounds like music that you listen to. Or that a friend told you to check out.

Is it possible to discover music anymore? Do you go to a record store and buy a random record?

The last possible band I can think of that I discovered? was a local band called Lite Brite. Just happened to be at a bar I was at.

What about you? Who did you find and how did you find them?

• Members

Whores

...before that....... god knows.

Are you asking about bands that have been around for a while and we've just discovered or just any new discoveries... if the latter I discover new bands on BBC6music every day almost.

• Members

Whores

Are you asking about bands that have been around for a while and we've just discovered or just any new discoveries... if the latter I discover new bands on BBC6music every day almost.

how could I forget Whores! christian's band are fantastic :phil:

• Members

Whores

Just talking about any band you hadn't heard previously, but that you now like, but only because you happened upon them by chance. Not through some recommendation...

• Members

Just talking about any band you hadn't heard previously, but that you now like, but only because you happened upon them by chance. Not through some recommendation...

oh ok....

Louis XIV (last year some time, heard on bbc6music) bought the album, loved it.

I'll think of some more, there's loads but I just can't think right now.

• Members

I remember buying Highly Refined Pirates by Minus The Bear solely on the album cover. I went in to Ear X Tacy in Louisville, Ky and said, "I'm going to buy whatever jumps out at me."

On the first several listens it was a rather odd sound I thought, but I couldn't stop listening to it. Since then I'd followed them, and also since then several really good albums came out by them.

great discovery I think (but I'm not so fond of the most recent effort)

• Members

I guess my problem is... I don't listen to enough radio or the radio around me sucks.

The radio around you probably sucks. I think the BBC's Iplayer is going to be available internationally this year so maybe check out pretty much any programme on 6Music.

• Members

The radio around you probably sucks. I think the BBC's Iplayer is going to be available internationally this year so maybe check out pretty much any programme on 6Music.

I think you can stream it off the website now if i'm not mistaken?

• Members

I have found out about a lot of bands with the help of Music ID on my iPhone. Seriously, that thing is awesome. If I'm watching a TV show, and I like a song, I can just use a program to tell me who it is? I love technology sometimes.

As for the last band I discovered completely randomly, that was Mute Math. I randomly searched for the word "Math" in iTunes (I dunno if I was looking for math rock, or what), but they popped up, and I've loved them ever since. That was like 4 or 5 years ago though.

Archived