Coworker died. Mojo needed.

Jisatsu

• Members

Usually this {censored} doesn't bother me this much, but oddly I feel sick to my stomach. I know most you people hate guys and gals with badges, but she was a good woman. I found out 30 minutes after getting home from work tonight. FML.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Smart people don't "hate cops;" if there's anti-police sentiment, it comes from a desire to protect our freedoms and there are some individual officers who violate them with regularity or intensity or both that jeopardizes the trust we place in officers in general to enforce the laws.

But who, especially right now, would say they hate your coworker? It's terrible, sad, and devastating to all the friends and loved ones who now have a hole in their lives where that person was... It'd take an incredibly puerile jackass to be coy about the death of a respectable human being, whatever they think about "cops" as a whole. I've got nothing to send but condolences, it hurts to lose someone you care about no matter the circumstances, but having them ripped out of your life like that is pretty much the worst feeling I could possibly imagine.

• Members

Smart people don't "hate cops;" if there's anti-police sentiment, it comes from a desire to protect our freedoms and there are
some
individual officers who violate them with regularity or intensity or both that jeopardizes the trust we place in officers in general to enforce the laws.

But who, especially right now, would say they hate your coworker? It's terrible, sad, and devastating to all the friends and loved ones who now have a hole in their lives where that person was... It'd take an incredibly puerile jackass to be coy about the death of a respectable human being, whatever they think about "cops" as a whole. I've got nothing to send but condolences, it hurts to lose someone you care about no matter the circumstances, but having them ripped out of your life like that is pretty much the worst feeling I could possibly imagine.

thanks.

• Members

working in a prison is very risky work, man, sucks...mojo sent.

yep, especially being a petite gal working in a chapel every night alone with sometimes up to 60 inmates. Supposedly these are non-violent medium security inmates, and supposedly we need less officers and staff around. I'm glad my safety and the safety of my friends and loved ones is a line item on a budget.

• Members

yep, especially being a petite gal working in a chapel every night alone with sometimes up to 60 inmates. Supposedly these are non-violent medium security inmates, and supposedly we need less officers and staff around. I'm glad my safety and the safety of my friends and loved ones is a line item on a budget.

What can anyone interested do? Prison reform is a personal political cause, do you have any suggestions to try to get something done with regard to our prison systems, especially with regard to safety conditions for officers and inmates? Who can we write to about incidents like these, what sort of pressure can/should we bring to bear? We pay a lot of taxes for a lot of reasons and our prisons aren't working, incidents like this highlight underlying faults in the thinking of the system, do you have any suggestions on how to accomplish change starting at the grassroots level?

• Members

My cousin is a police woman and whilst I don't always agree with the police I have nothing but respect for her, the work she does and most of her co-workers. In the end they are people doing a job.....just like your friend. For someone to murder them is disgusting and incredibly sad. I feel for you my man and just hope her family recover in time.

• Members

What can anyone interested do? Prison reform is a personal political cause, do you have any suggestions to try to get something done with regard to our prison systems, especially with regard to safety conditions for officers and inmates? Who can we write to about incidents like these, what sort of pressure can/should we bring to bear? We pay a lot of taxes for a lot of reasons and our prisons aren't working, incidents like this highlight underlying faults in the thinking of the system, do you have any suggestions on how to accomplish change starting at the grassroots level?

I can't comment on other states and how their prisons are run, but in this state we are constantly taking from the general staff in terms of safety and security, but giving into very petty things like exempt vehicles and gas cards for management, free tv for inmates, unlimited and uninsured health care for our inmates allowing them to jump to the head of the line for transplants ahead of little suzy who has to wait for her insurance to approve and rape her parents in fees. I'm not saying prison should be gulag, however I do believe in a time of a budget crisis that instead of cutting staff to fund the privledges (and yes they are privledges) most inmates enjoy in this state we need to focus on different areas. I don't want to get into recidivism rates and how to overcome repeat offenders, however we need to fix how our institutions are run.

In 2009 the facility I work at went from a Close Custody facility where violent criminals were housed to a Medium Security facility for non-violent and "reformed" inmates. Instead of shipping out dangerous and violent inmates, the state decided to give certian inmates custody overrides so they wouldn't have to spend so much in transporting inmates. When we switched over to the lower custody level we lost 17 staff positions, all of them regulating security and movement of inmates within the facility. This was all to save money.

I'm not blaming this officer's death on these happenings or the state. What most people see on the news is down talk of the prison system, of the officers who supposedly rake in a ton of money, the corruption of the staff members, and the poor treatment of the inmates. What we don't see is the manipulation of staff on a daily basis, the corrupt management giving themselve raises while union members are forced to take pay cuts despite current contracts. Staff members laid off left and right so the govenor can have a 40% raise, while the state continues to go down in debt.

If you want to do something about this, or your local situation write your local congressmen or representitive and let them know that violence in prisons isn't going down. Tell them you want to cut back on expensive privledges and health care that the average law abiding citizen isn't allowed that inmates enjoy on a daily basis. Tell them you want prisons staffed with properly trained officers and line staff. Tell them you want to take away government cars and gas cards from people who make over $100,000 a year. Tell them you want your prisons safer so your distant relative who {censored}ed up and went down can do his punishment without fear of gang violence or rape.

No one really gives a {censored} when you take away staff and inmates assault each other. But that trend has been rising in the last year since my facility went through this change. Now an officer died and it's really no different, but how many more people, inmate or officer or even staff, have to get hurt before we do something.

Okay enough of my rant. I'm tired, cranky, and overall just bummed out that a great person was brutally murdered by someone who just doesn't give a {censored}.

• Members

Lots of mojo sent. I'm not a police officer but I work in Public Safety and sometimes I don't know what kind of call I'll be responding to or what I might walk in to find. The thought of not coming home is scary to think about. Hopefully someone will pull a Jeffrey Dahmer on the bastard who did this and sodomize him to death with a broom stick.

Archived