HCFX cycling club.

Loobs

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Yup, it's getting towards the turn of the year. I'm still cycling in my shorts and merino base layer but I had to use my gloves for the first time in ages this morning.

I have bib tights for winter and they're a complete godsend - I obviously wear my baggy Madison shorts over them, but the bib tights + merino base layer and a windcheater is normally warm enough except for the dead of winter when I also throw on a thickish cycling top under my jacket.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/dhb-pace-roubaix-padded-bib-tight/

This is what I wear, they weren't cheap at 45 quid but they are ace.

Also on the initial subject of the thread - I cycle from Hackney to Euston on my commute everyday and use my bike as my principle form of transport around London.

• Members

Yeah, that's exactly what I'm gonna do. Still wearing my baggy shorts (with inner cycling shorts) with a jersey underneath a windproof jacket. Got a long sleeve base layer aswell for colder weather so I should be ok for the top half, but I need something warmer for the bottom. So these are warm enough even on really cold winter days?

• Members

Yeah, that's exactly what I'm gonna do. Still wearing my baggy shorts (with inner cycling shorts) with a jersey underneath a windproof jacket. Got a long sleeve base layer aswell for colder weather so I should be ok for the top half, but I need something warmer for the bottom. So these are warm enough even on really cold winter days?

Yup!

You'll need to ditch your inner shorts though if you go for padded ones like mine.

I cycle all year long. The only days I missed last year were when the roads were covered in ice.

• Members

Those DHB ones look great - They're what I have in mind for the coming months if I actually acquire some form of income... A winter jersey would be nice as well, but what with a decent base layer, some winter gloves, and maybe another Walz cap (in wool) as well, this is all looking a tad ambitious...

• Members

In the summer I bought a new bike, a Vitus mountain bike. Bought it because I was in the progress of losing some weight, and the last kgs were going so slowly that I wanted to speed things up by picking up biking. :) Since then I've been out roughly once every two days, except for when it's raining, then it's no fun.

Highly recommended for anyone looking to loose weight, in total I've lost almost 30 kg, the last 10 went with the help of the bike.

Mission accomplished. :thu:

• Members

Anyone got any suggestions for some decent winter tights? I hate asking anything on a bike forum. I need to get my winter clothes together, it was 10c this morning on my way into work and my legs were a little cold in shorts.

I have knee and leg warmers along with some SUGOI firewall windproof pants... they are warm. check your LBS its that time of year.... running stores carry similar stuff too and are usually cheaper.

• Members

I have knee and leg warmers along with some SUGOI firewall windproof pants... they are warm. check your LBS its that time of year.... running stores carry similar stuff too and are usually cheaper.

this...i ride all year round (when i have time, grrr...) and use warmers for my legs and arms and my summer gear. of course i use toe warmers, heavier gloves, and layer on the jackets, but they're a cheap way to get out in the cold.

• Members

i've been riding more the past 4 months or so.

last month i rode a total of 301 miles...new record for me.

last week my front derailler snapped off. the other day my bracket broke.

i hope to get a new bike next month.

I assume you mean bottom bracket, what kind of riding are you doing to break a BB? Free ride hucking? I've bent BB's before never broke them, though i don't weigh that much.

• Members

I know 10 miles is nothing to most of you guys but the hills {censored}ed me pretty good today. Starting to wish my bike was a triple instead of compact double... I don't think it would be a huuuge difference but I'd take all the help I can get.

what cassette do you have on the back? You can get something that allows for faster spinning while climbing like a 12-27 or something. That with your compact will help.

hills {censored} everyone, they do get easier the more you climb though. sort of.

• Members

I bike to and from school everyday and it's about 5 minutes between the two points with my route. I feel like the biggest wimp after browsing this thread. I can hop off my bike and still be perspirating an hour later in my AC'd classroom!

• Members

this...i ride all year round (when i have time, grrr...) and use warmers for my legs and arms and my summer gear. of course i use toe warmers, heavier gloves, and layer on the jackets, but they're a cheap way to get out in the cold.

The problem with these is they slip about and you can get a chilly draft up your back.

bib tights are pricey and look a bit funny but they're so easy, reliable and warm.

• Members

Windproof pants over fleece pants/liners are great in near frigid temps.

Just remember that cotton isn't good if sweating. It won't breathe when saturated, but cotton sweatpants are fine in a pinch.

Fleece is my favorite material for cycling because it's only slightly breathable and still can block alot of wind, but not all.. thats where the windproof pants come in.

Wool (merino wool for base layer) is the only thing thats still breathable when saturated which is why people swear by it.

And forget about all the cycling specific clothing noise. Who needs to spend that much?

Great cold weather cycling gear can be had with a little common sense.

There are some great old threads regarding this on bikeforums.

• Members

Just remember that cotton isn't good if sweating. It won't breathe when saturated, but cotton sweatpants are fine in a pinch.

Fleece is my favorite material for cycling because it's only slightly breathable and still can block alot of wind, but not all..
thats where the windproof pants come in.

Wool (merino wool for base layer) is the only thing thats still breathable when saturated which is why people swear by it.

And forget about all the cycling specific clothing noise. Who needs to spend that much?

i have an old fleece vest i keep around just for teh cold days. keep the core warm...

• Members

I know 10 miles is nothing to most of you guys but the hills {censored}ed me pretty good today. Starting to wish my bike was a triple instead of compact double... I don't think it would be a huuuge difference but I'd take all the help I can get.

How steep are the hills? 10 miles each way? I'm moving soon and my commute will go from 7 miles each way to just over 10. I think you'll be fine with a double the more you do it. Try to get in as high a gear as possible and keep your legs spinning as fast as possible.

• Members

Fleece is my favorite material for cycling because it's only slightly breathable and still can block alot of wind, but not all.. thats where the windproof pants come in.

Yeah, my base layers are merino wool. My long sleeved one is so warm, almost too warm. I think that I should be able to get away with just that, a jersey and my wind-breaker jacket in the colest of weather here. It never gets below -6/7c here even on the coldest winter mornings.

• Members

I currently own a DeVinci road bike. Since I started running and training for marathons, I've been using it less often, but I'm trying to go for a 2hours ride twice a week.

This winter I will start traing for triathlons, so I'm gonna buy a new bike next year! I will be looking for a Cervelo...I can't wait :love:

CerveloP3C2007.jpg

• Members

Road bike with 25c tires (wider tires), or Carbon Cross bike.

If your going to be on pavement mostly get a road bike if its going to end up an equal mix get a cross bike.

How easy is it to replace thinner tyres with thicker ones? I assume the brakes will need adjusted, but anything else?

Archived