HCFX cycling club.

Loobs

• Members

The 'knee' thing is totally overhyped. If you know how to ride and anticipate slowing down/stopping/look around/are aware you shouldn't have a problem.

uh no, its not overhyped, do some research into the biomechanics of cycling. Slowing, stopping and even starting on a fixie puts a huge amount of strain on the knee joint...

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

It is overhyped. I know many people that ride fixies including a few couriers and none of them have 'knee problems'. Whatever though, I appreciate what you're saying and off course back peddling does add stresses to the knees but it's hardly as dramatic as some people like to make out.

• Members

. Whatever though, I appreciate what you're saying and off course back peddling does add stresses to the knees but it's hardly as dramatic as some people like to make out.

Ok. don't do the research, believe random people you meet and subject yourself to something that will have a life long deleterious effect on your joint health. Over use injuries are not something to laugh at... I'm only trying to help as i have done the research and its my job to understand this stuff but your obviously going to do what you want to do. At a bare minimum use a single speed free hub and brakes... no one that sees you pedal by is going to be able to tell that its not a fixed hub anyway.

And seriously... the best part of riding a bike is the coast...

• Members

The general mantra was to complete the minimalistic aesthetic of the bike and rely on your feet instead of a brake. I don't really buy into it.

I buy into it to a point. I built up my first fixie last summer off a cheap road bike frame, and it was a blast to ride. It's nice to just hop on and go. However, I ride with a front brake and actually use it. I'll be getting a freewheel cog this year I think. Commuting 10-20 miles is kind of a bitch on a fixed... I can't wait until it thaws here and warms up a bit so I can start riding again. It's my preferred mode of exercise.

• Members

There are a whole lot of fixie riders on my campus, its kind of a weird little clique. They all wear funny little hats, rolled up tight-ish jeans, and vans authentics. They're an all right group I guess, there are a few who think they're hot {censored} for riding with no brakes. I bomb the same hills as them on a skateboard so they can suck it.

Also I've seen 10-15 of them show up to a party riding in formation. :lol:

• Members

There are a whole lot of fixie riders on my campus, its kind of a weird little clique. They all wear funny little hats, rolled up tight-ish jeans, and vans authentics. They're an all right group I guess, there are a few who think they're hot {censored} for riding with no brakes.
I bomb the same hills as them on a skateboard so they can suck it.

Also I've seen 10-15 of them show up to a party riding in formation.
:lol:

One of my friends does this. you both are insane. I started riding over the summer for fun. I can get around on it more or less. Can't trick for {censored}. A few friends dug out their old boards to ride back in the fall. We were at someone's house and there is a big hill in front of the house. They all rode down without issue. I grabbed my board out of the trunk having not touched it for a month or so.

1. My board is in better shape than theirs so it'll roll much faster.

2. It had been in the trunk and I think the temperature changes loosened up the trucks.

I started going down the hill carving back and forth with no problems. As I start to speed up the loosened trucks come into effect and I lose a little bit of control. Well, with that loss of control I lost the ability to carve. So, now I'm going straight, rapidly gaining speed, and the board starts to wobble really {censored}ing bad. I reach the point where I accept that I'm not gonna be able to get to the bottom. I jumped off and ran out, made it about 2 steps before my feet went out from under me. I rolled out of it and was fine. Scary as {censored} though. My buddy who was walking down the hill at the time thought I was gonna die.

• Members

One of my friends does this. you both are insane. I started riding over the summer for fun. I can get around on it more or less. Can't trick for {censored}. A few friends dug out their old boards to ride back in the fall. We were at someone's house and there is a big hill in front of the house. They all rode down without issue. I grabbed my board out of the trunk having not touched it for a month or so.

1. My board is in better shape than theirs so it'll roll much faster.

2. It had been in the trunk and I think the temperature changes loosened up the trucks.

I started going down the hill carving back and forth with no problems. As I start to speed up the loosened trucks come into effect and I lose a little bit of control. Well, with that loss of control I lost the ability to carve. So, now I'm going straight, rapidly gaining speed, and the board starts to wobble really {censored}ing bad. I reach the point where I accept that I'm not gonna be able to get to the bottom. I jumped off and ran out, made it about 2 steps before my feet went out from under me. I rolled out of it and was fine. Scary as {censored} though. My buddy who was walking down the hill at the time thought I was gonna die.

Ah, the good ol speed wobbles. It wouldn't hurt to tighten your trucks, but speed wobble has more to do with your balance and control of the board. I ride with my trucks very loose and I have no problem bombing hills. Are you riding a longboard or a regular skateboard? As you get better you'll find that bombing hills isn't so scary, you can slow down by dragging your foot if you have to, or by doing powerslide speedchecks as seen here:

Falling is definitely part of it all, but as long as you know your limits speedwise, and how to take a fall, then you'll come out ok.

• Members

Ah, the good ol speed wobbles. It wouldn't hurt to tighten your trucks, but speed wobble has more to do with your balance and control of the board. I ride with my trucks very loose and I have no problem bombing hills. Are you riding a longboard or a regular skateboard? As you get better you'll find that bombing hills isn't so scary, you can slow down by dragging your foot if you have to, or by doing powerslide speedchecks as seen here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0XgEdxitdIY

Falling is definitely part of it all, but as long as you know your limits speedwise, and how to take a fall, then you'll come out ok.

yea, it's the balance/control then. Regular board. I don't know what the {censored} I'm doing on it. I started riding this summer because my buddy got put on lockdown for failing a class so I'd go over to his house and skate out front because that's all he could do. :lol:

• Members

There are a whole lot of fixie riders on my campus, its kind of a weird little clique. They all wear funny little hats, rolled up tight-ish jeans, and vans authentics. They're an all right group I guess, there are a few who think they're hot {censored} for riding with no brakes. I bomb the same hills as them on a skateboard so they can suck it.

Also I've seen 10-15 of them show up to a party riding in formation.

That sounds about right. A couple years ago it got huge in London, now it seems to have died down again a bit.

• Members

yea, it's the balance/control then. Regular board. I don't know what the {censored} I'm doing on it. I started riding this summer because my buddy got put on lockdown for failing a class so I'd go over to his house and skate out front because that's all he could do.

My friends got into longboarding freshman year and they would bomb our hills around campus. The hills didn't have any roll outs or anything to really slow you down, just big hills into intersections. I don't feel like dumping $100+ on a longboard so I dug my regular board out and went with them. I don't know how I never ate {censored}. I got back into it like a month before baseball season too. How {censored}ty would that have been to explain to my team haha. But yeah I'll stick with bikes, they can accelerate UP hills.

• Members

My friends got into longboarding freshman year and they would bomb our hills around campus. The hills didn't have any roll outs or anything to really slow you down, just big hills into intersections. I don't feel like dumping $100+ on a longboard so I dug my regular board out and went with them. I don't know how I never ate {censored}. I got back into it like a month before baseball season too. How {censored}ty would that have been to explain to my team haha. But yeah I'll stick with bikes, they can accelerate UP hills.

My friend has a cool single tip cruiser he rides to class. Same deal as you, big ass down a mountain hill right into an intersection. He's nuts. Thank god my accident occurred way out in the country in the middle of the night. No cars to worry about.

• Members

i love riding bikes, ride to work everyday. no car, live on a small island so i ride everywhere, its great. got several bikes, got a specialized stump jumper which i generally commute on and ride around the island on in the summer (about 30K around) its great to take off roading. but really its all about my two trials bikes, which ive been riding trials for about 10 years now, its a great sport. i used to ride a lot of bmx's around the same time, but i got a bit bored of the little bikes, so i ride a mainly bmx style on the trials which is great fun. shame about the weather round here at the moment ...

also got a classic 80's raleigh roadie which is fun, but its a bit sketchy as i got it out of a dump, its needs fixing up really. and i also have this

<A33716488.png>

which is something that a few of my friends and myself built for 'liberation day' which was the day that marked the end of the channel islands being occupied at the end of WWII. its was great fun riding it round the island on the day visiting every pub on the way. we basically made two tandems, joined them together, got two tag'a'longs and joined those together, then put a universal joint between them. then made a frame for some bunting, put a stereo in it, places for beers, it was a great laugh

i will have to dig up some pics of my bikes and old trials vid's i made a few years back

awesome thread!!

• Members

i have a Specialized epic mtb but since their are not much hills here i can't use it much... i also have a customized older Cannondale F series mtb where i ditched the headshock and replaced it with a stiff fork and and other stuff... this one i use for the road and the local tours and racing on the beach/dunes... beachsand is murder for the gear though...

• 1 month later...

Archived