HCFX cycling club.

Loobs

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Awesome.

I like riding fixies...

I'd love to get a SS with a basket for general purposes, but I don't think I could go back to riding fixed. There's no smoother ride than a well put together fixed gear, what with a light frame, no brake, and a proper ratio, but I had to stop after getting hit the second time and developing some knee problems. No matter what anyone says, fixed gears are harder and take longer to stop on. I cut my teeth riding fixed in San Francisco, and there were definitely a couple of scary instances when not having a brake put either me or some other riders in a potentially dangerous position.

• Members

I'd love to get a SS with a basket for general purposes, but I don't think I could go back to riding fixed. There's no smoother ride than a well put together fixed gear, what with a light frame,
no brake
, and a proper ratio, but I had to stop
after getting hit the second time and developing some knee problems
. No matter what anyone says,
fixed gears are harder and take longer to stop on
. I cut my teeth riding fixed in San Francisco, and there were definitely a couple of scary instances when
not having a brake put either me or some other riders in a potentially dangerous position.

This is why i am adamantly against fixed gear bikes. Single speeds with breaks are ok but fixies are purely stupid... its like the de-evolution of bikes. They are dangerous to the rider and everyone around them. (this is not meant to be a personal attack, more of a general expression of my opinion towards fixie's and fixie culture. and yes i do understand the maintenance reasons for fixie's)

• Members
This is my main bike. Stunning ride - clears most stuff and makes me a much better rider! It's got better tyres on it now - the Mountain Kings are utter {censored}e.

2850806144_1e0e94ffe8_b.jpg

:thu:

Is that an Demo 5 ? I think I had a go on one of those last year at an Orange demo day, was a very nice ride. I like the Fox forks too, superb pieces of kit.

• Members

Come on, have some respect for those of us who live in a place that get's to -40 at this time of year. Alright, it's just a little offensive to see you all enjoying the {censored} out of yourselves on your bikes. Pricks!

• Members

I'd love to get a SS with a basket for general purposes, but I don't think I could go back to riding fixed. There's no smoother ride than a well put together fixed gear, what with a light frame,
no brake
, and a proper ratio, but
I had to stop after getting hit the second time and developing some knee problems
. No matter what anyone says, fixed gears are harder and take longer to stop on. I cut my teeth riding fixed in San Francisco, and
there were definitely a couple of scary instances when not having a brake put either me or some other riders in a potentially dangerous position

sounds like fun! where do i sign up?

signed,

a mountain biker with disc brakes

• Members

Come on, have some respect for those of us who live in a place that get's to -40 at this time of year. Alright, it's just a little offensive to see you all enjoying the {censored} out of yourselves on your bikes. Pricks!

-16C & 20cms of snow here right now. No bikes for me right now either :(

• Members

No. just a regular Five. The middle one, not the top of the range pro. I put the upgrade pack on it (Thompson stem & seat post, Easton Carbon bars and Gobi Saddle) and it's just fantastic. Excellent bike for the Lake District although yours isn't too shabby either (needs a shorter stem though!).

:thu:

Is that an Demo 5 ? I think I had a go on one of those last year at an Orange demo day, was a very nice ride. I like the Fox forks too, superb pieces of kit.

• Members

The 'knee' thing is totally overhyped. If you know how to ride and anticipate slowing down/stopping/look around/are aware you shouldn't have a problem. That being said riding a fixie in SF would be murder - I know that plenty do though...

It's a fun way to ride and the bikes look cool and have nothing to go wrong on. You're totally involved in the ride too and you really need to think about what you're doing. It's kinda like the bike equivalent of playing a Fender Esquire. That being said, I have nothing against geared bikes at all. But a fixie with the right ratio is a blast.

• Members

No. just a regular Five. The middle one, not the top of the range pro. I put the upgrade pack on it (Thompson stem & seat post, Easton Carbon bars and Gobi Saddle) and it's just fantastic. Excellent bike for the Lake District although yours isn't too shabby either (needs a shorter stem though!).

You've got an eye for bikes noticing that stem ! I changed it a while ago for one about 15mm shorter and it really tightened up the handling, making the overall ride that bit better.

• Members

The 'knee' thing is totally overhyped. If you know how to ride and anticipate slowing down/stopping/look around/are aware you shouldn't have a problem. That being said riding a fixie in SF would be murder - I know that plenty do though...

Knee problems with fixed riders are ubiquitous. It's just the inherent mechanical problem: the point of resistance is the knee. City riders face accelerated problems due to the start/stop nature of the ride.

• Members

You've got an eye for bikes noticing that stem ! I changed it a while ago for one about 15mm shorter and it really tightened up the handling, making the overall ride that bit better.

What can I say - I'm as much a bike geek as I am a guitar geek. Also, that stem is visible from space :)

• Members

Ubiquitous because {censored}ers break with their knees rather than using a break on the bars or slowing down less abruptly.

We are talking about track bikes here, so yeah, without the bar brake. Sometimes getting to a stop quickly is the only option.

• Members

Well yeah, if you ride with brakes then knee problems aren't really something to worry about compared to if you ride brakeless. If you ride track consistently, then yes, it's a problem. Stopping quickly in San Francisco or Seattle is very common. Red lights and stop signs are not a big deal, but being on your toes all the time and watching out for cars is. And like I said, it's a mechanics thing; even if you are backpedaling, the points of resistance are the knee and the quadricep, but if you're skid stopping, then all the pressure is directed to the knee.

Archived