ITT: people try and justify paying $800+ for a klon

hosebeast

• Members

The way I see it, if you have the money and it is really the sound you want, go for it. That small 1% difference that makes it standout from other high end but much cheaper overdrives might be all it takes for somebody to want it. If you don't justify the price or don't hear any difference from any other overdrive, look elsewhere.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

yyyyyyyyyyyaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay

Another klon hate thread!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So then what's good about it?

Really. I know nothing about what makes an overdrive qualify as "good" other than the build quality and components used, but that's true of any kind of pedal. So with the Klon what justifies the price specifically? How is it the holy grail of dirt pedals? Is it built with a really rare set of components, configured in a certain way? Maybe it's tone control is unique among tone controls or something? :lol: I'm not poking fun at the Klon, or people who like it, I'm genuinely curious in what makes it $800 kind of good.

• Members
So then what's good about it?

Really. I know nothing about what makes an overdrive qualify as "good" other than the build quality and components used, but that's true of any kind of pedal. So with the Klon what justifies the price specifically? How is it the holy grail of dirt pedals? Is it built with a really rare set of components, configured in a certain way? Maybe it's tone control is unique among tone controls or something?
:lol:
I'm not poking fun at the Klon, or people who like it, I'm genuinely curious in what makes it $800 kind of good.

It splits the signal into high and low halves, and processes the two seperately. In that respect it is far from the tubescreamer in topography.

• Members

It splits the signal into high and low halves, and processes the two seperately. In that respect it is far from the tubescreamer in topography.

Ah ha. So I'm assuming it's the only dirt pedal to do this hence the price and reputation? But then, surely if someone made something unique like that, even if it was a difficult build, it wouldn't take long for people to start cloning it and making just as good or better dirt pedals?

• Members

yyyyyyyyyyyaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay

Another klon hate thread!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This.

And to be honest, whilst I wouldn't pay that for an overdrive pedal, it's a pedal. Some people would say that spending more than a thousand or so for a guitar and amp combined is ridiculous. 'Why can't you get by with your MIM strat and Line6 Spider?'. Etc. I don't personally think that it's much less ridiculous having two or more $3-400 delay/reverb/other pedals, and there are plenty of people here that fall into that category...

• Members

Ah ha. So I'm assuming it's the only dirt pedal to do this hence the price and reputation? But then, surely if someone made something unique like that, even if it was a difficult build, it wouldn't take long for people to start cloning it and making just as good or better dirt pedals?

You can build a clone easily, if that's what you want. Won't make you

• Members

If you're making minimum wage are you really thinking about Klons? I think this thread should be renamed "ITT: The OP wishes he had more disposable income"

obviously wasn't talking about how much money i make or my desire to own one of these turds.

also post/av

• Members

This.

And to be honest, whilst
I
wouldn't pay that for an overdrive pedal, it's a pedal. Some people would say that spending more than a thousand or so for a guitar and amp combined is ridiculous. 'Why can't you get by with your MIM strat and Line6 Spider?'. Etc. I don't personally think that it's much less ridiculous having two or more $3-400 delay/reverb/other pedals, and there are plenty of people here that fall into that category...

i feel like the guys who own superdelays and timefactors are almost in the same category as klon guys. even if i could afford it, >$400 is {censored}ing STUPID to pay for an effect. i've spent >$200 before and never felt good about it. sure, i've been pleased with the pedal and excited to have it, but every time i turn it on i just feel guilty and stupid for spending so much money on something. is the superdelay even analog? what makes it so great? like, what makes my dd-20 so inferior to an empress superdelay? these are legit questions, so anyone who owns a superdelay or timefactor, PLEASE chime in.

(the itmefactor looks ridiculous and i would love to have one, but i'm tto cheap to ever bite the bullet on buying one - i envy those who own them though, same witht he pitchfactor)

also, whammy version 1... i've played one before, and it is in no way worth $500+. it BARELY sounds better than WH4. you can't play chords, it still has a slight delay... basically, i just wanna know who the hell started thinking it would be a good idea to pay as much as you would for a great amp or guitar for an effect pedal, therefor screwing the rest of us. i wish that we could all somehow organize and agree to pay no more than $200 for any effect, no matter what, forever. then we'd be buying pitchfactors for like $120 haha.

• Members

i feel like the guys who own superdelays and timefactors are almost in the same category as klon guys. even if i could afford it, >$400 is {censored}ing STUPID to pay for an effect. i've spent >$200 before and never felt good about it. sure, i've been pleased with the pedal and excited to have it, but every time i turn it on i just feel guilty and stupid for spending so much money on something. is the superdelay even analog? what makes it so great? like, what makes my dd-20 so inferior to an empress superdelay? these are legit questions, so anyone who owns a superdelay or timefactor, PLEASE chime in.

(the itmefactor looks ridiculous and i would love to have one, but i'm tto cheap to ever bite the bullet on buying one - i envy those who own them though, same witht he pitchfactor)

also, whammy version 1... i've played one before, and it is in no way worth $500+. it BARELY sounds better than WH4. you can't play chords, it still has a slight delay... basically, i just wanna know who the hell started thinking it would be a good idea to pay as much as you would for a great amp or guitar for an effect pedal, therefor screwing the rest of us. i wish that we could all somehow organize and agree to pay no more than $200 for any effect, no matter what, forever. then we'd be buying pitchfactors for like $120 haha.

i think it's a little harsh to say that paying $400 for an effect is {censored}ing stupid. there's a lot of people on here with timefactors and such and that's not that cool of a way to address those people. i've never paid $200 or more for a pedal. i don't have much money. but i do have a pedal that i paid $190 for and every time i turn it on i feel great, because it sounds awesome, does what i wanted it to do, is somewhat unique, looks cool (not that that's important), and i really like the company that made it. what's to feel guilty and stupid about? i worked hard for the money, managed to still meet my responsibilities in life, and got something that inspires me and kicks my sound up a notch. sorry you don't have this same experience with your expensive pedal. have you heard a superdelay? i haven't, so i can't answer the question, but it's certainly not outlandish for me to imagine that there's lots of things that make it far superior to your dd-20. there's some {censored}ing awesome sounding expensive delays out there. they're not all the same. it would be similar, in my mind, to one asking "what makes my metal zone so inferior to a suhr riot?" having had both of these pedals in my life, i wouldn't know where to start. it's laughable. are you saying that because something happens to be a delay pedal at all that there can't be much difference between it and any other delay. ooh! my dd-20 has a couple of little footswitches on it too, so how can it be inferior to a superdelay? some of these things, like whammys and klons and vintage big muffs get extra inflated because they're no longer available and have a lot of hype. and hype, to me, is worthless. but that does not mean that every pedal over a certain price is a rip off.

how is it screwing over the rest of us for some dude to pay $400 for a timefactor? that's ridiculous. we could all decide to pay no more than $200 for effects. do you know what the result would be? not $120 pitchfactors. none of us would have pitchfactors. that would be the result. that pedal is insanely complicated and has a {censored}load of features, and sounds amazing. i would be surprised if eventide could even build that pedal for $120, much less sell them for anywhere near that cheap, when you take into account what went into designing that thing. do you think if we all decided that we weren't going to pay more than $500 for an amp that the result would be $400 boutique amps? like all amp and pedal builders are just out to screw everyone and take all of us for all we're worth, while their products cost them nothing? some of them are greedy bastards, but not all by any means.

• Members

ok, lets put this into perspective... do we think a lot of effects are overpriced or go for retarded amounts used? yes. are some effects actually overpriced? yes. Do guitarists get off easy in the music world, and really, compared to other instruments is bitching about $500 - $800 laughable? hell yes.

guitar is for broke {censored}s, and in the terms of actual music instruments, even the most expensive arsenal of dumbles, klons and '61 LPs isn't {censored} when compared to violins, cellos, and such range from tens of thousands to hundreds of thousands to millions for what pros use. wah, some sucker spent $800 on a pedal. drop in the bucket. if you're serious about playing, who cares what you spend if it does what you want? you wanna run kmart specials because that's the sound you want or you're not willing to spend more, so be it. just don't try to move to another instrument if you're concerned about money.

• Members

i think it's a little harsh to say that paying $400 for an effect is {censored}ing stupid. there's a lot of people on here with timefactors and such and that's not that cool of a way to address those people. i've never paid $200 or more for a pedal. i don't have much money. but i do have a pedal that i paid $190 for and every time i turn it on i feel great, because it sounds awesome, does what i wanted it to do, is somewhat unique, looks cool (not that that's important), and i really like the company that made it. what's to feel guilty and stupid about? i worked hard for the money, managed to still meet my responsibilities in life, and got something that inspires me and kicks my sound up a notch. sorry you don't have this same experience with your expensive pedal. have you heard a superdelay? i haven't, so i can't answer the question, but it's certainly not outlandish for me to imagine that there's lots of things that make it far superior to your dd-20. there's some {censored}ing awesome sounding expensive delays out there. they're not all the same. it would be similar, in my mind, to one asking "what makes my metal zone so inferior to a suhr riot?" having had both of these pedals in my life, i wouldn't know where to start. it's laughable. are you saying that because something happens to be a delay pedal at all that there can't be much difference between it and any other delay. ooh! my dd-20 has a couple of little footswitches on it too, so how can it be inferior to a superdelay? some of these things, like whammys and klons and vintage big muffs get extra inflated because they're no longer available and have a lot of hype. and hype, to me, is worthless. but that does not mean that every pedal over a certain price is a rip off.

how is it screwing over the rest of us for some dude to pay $400 for a timefactor? that's ridiculous. we could all decide to pay no more than $200 for effects. do you know what the result would be? not $120 pitchfactors. none of us would have pitchfactors. that would be the result. that pedal is insanely complicated and has a {censored}load of features, and sounds amazing. i would be surprised if eventide could even build that pedal for $120, much less sell them for anywhere near that cheap, when you take into account what went into designing that thing. do you think if we all decided that we weren't going to pay more than $500 for an amp that the result would be $400 boutique amps? like all amp and pedal builders are just out to screw everyone and take all of us for all we're worth, while their products cost them nothing? some of them are greedy bastards, but not all by any means.

i was legitimately asking what made the superdelay or timefactor better than a dd-20. i've watched clips and i don't know if my ears just suck or what, but $600 or whatever those things cost just seems bonkers to me. i was genuinly asking what made them so superior that someone would want to pay that kind of money for them. obviously a lot of the users of this forum have them, so i was asking what made them so special to said specific HCFX users.

my point about people accepting the huge prices of some of these things was simply that we, the consumers and users of technology, set the prices for these things by willingly paying as much as we do. nothing more, nothing less.

Archived