ITT: people try and justify paying $800+ for a klon

hosebeast

• Members

this thing sounds good, but overdrive is the least important effect ever. i couldn't imagine spending more than like, MAYBE $100 on making my overdrive tone a little better, but nothing more. who here has been stupid enough to pay an entire month's minimum wage salary on one of these things?

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Because you make more than minimum wage and consider overdrive the most important effect?

After all, OD is more of a tone thing (it's important to have a solid base tone) than an effect like delay or flanger.

That said, $800 is ridiculous.

• Members

this thing sounds good, but overdrive is the least important effect ever. i couldn't imagine spending more than like, MAYBE $100 on making my overdrive tone a little better, but nothing more. who here has been stupid enough to pay an entire month's minimum wage salary on one of these things?

In what world is overdrive the least important effect ever?

Signed,

Every guitarist since the dawn of eternity that has some variant of a Tubescreamer or SD-1 (or hell, even an LPB-1) on his board, even if he vehemently hates pedals because "TUBES."

• Members

Actually, A/DA Harmony Synth is most important, I think.

i wont play guitar without that harmony synth.

but seriously OP I think I know what you meant, its not really important, mostly subtleties between overdrives, boss or tubescreamer knockoff gets the job done. whereas $30 digital phaser can not do moog phaser.

• Members

If I had a nickel for every anti klon thread I'd have enough cash to buy one. This discussion's got to be as old as the internet itself. Couldn't keep myself from taking a peek anyway and say this: The conclusion's the same every single time, we all somewhat agree...

Yes the klon is ridicilously expensive and probably not THAT much better then a $150ish overdrive. Get over it already.

• Members

Maybe for you! I'm not defending the klon in particular, but for me, fine tuning my distorted tones is what being an electrical guitar player is all about.

for me playing electric guitar is what being an electric guitar player is all about

I have used the same dirt pedals for decades :lol:

• Members

i totally understand that sentiment. & this is from someone that isn't that into overdrives & is perfectly happy w/ their DOD Supra Distortion. but when you factor in the Law of Scarcity. i think the arguement is more than justified. & if it were just a {censored}ty overdrive w/ a limited supply, people wouldn't pay that money even if it was rare. if people want to fork over that amount of cash, or their TONE really does depends on it, then i am definitely not gonna be the one to judge them for paying that price. or even $400 for it. to each his own judge not least ye be judged...

• Members

i feel the opposite way, overdrive to me is one of the least important effects because you can shape your tone so much by the way you pluck the strings, and if you find the right way you can get that sound with any kind of pedal.

klon centaurs are purchased as investments or the having a cool pedal factor. klones are bought for the tone ;)

Archived