WOT. Families are a F**king pain in the arse

Vince

• Members

This is why I see very little of my family and have no plans to ever have a family of my own. Swap guitar playing time for family time? No way.

Trouble is, I love my family, I really do. It's just that sometimes, my sister can be the biggest {censored}ing pain in the arse ever and if she doesn't get her own way then woe betide anyone who gets in her way. It's been that way since she was young. I wouldn't mind, but she's 28 for {censored}s sake! Act like an adult and show me some {censored}ing respect.

• Members

Wasn't much of a rant.

Sorry, I'll give you the full works then.

So I want to get my daughter baptised. We were originally planning to do it some time in January because her Godmother was emigrating to Bahrain (ironically, she hasn't left yet!) but her Godfather was expecting his first baby around then and understandably didn't want to commit to anything.

So we rearrange to the bank holiday in April when Price William is getting married. 4 day weekend, less time taken off work so people can travel etc etc (we live about 5 hours drive from my sister and 7 from my parents). Then realise that although the Godmother won't be there then, she's coming back in the summer so we rearrange a second time so that both Godparents can be present. The date we pick coincides with Kiera's (my daughter) first birthday. 1 weekend, lots of celebration blah blah blah.

I speak to my sister about this 2 weeks ago saying that although the date is not set in stone, it's 99% certain to be going ahead.

I get a phone call today where she basically starts of saying "you have to change the date of the Christening as we've booked to go on a conference".WTF???

I try and explain that I don't want to mess people around and change the date again as this is now getting ridiculous. I ask how important is the conference and how much the tickets were (thinking I may reimburse her if they weren't too expensive) which she flips out at.

What follows is an immature text argument (after I hung up on her for being rude to me on the phone - no way am I going to put up with that {censored}) about who said what and who didn't say what.

TL/DR: my sister is a bitch yet I still love her and want her to be at the party/christening but I want to smash her head through a brick wall.

Rant over (is that better)

• Members

your sister is just frustrated as much as you are about all these dates getting changed. hell, i was frustrated just reading about it.

you're going to have to accept that some people won't be there, and hopefully your sister will soon realise that some things are more important than a conference. i'm sure things will calm down once she's had time to rationally think.

if not. flip sister for guitar.

• Members

your sister is just frustrated as much as you are about all these dates getting changed. hell, i was frustrated just reading about it.

you're going to have to accept that some people won't be there, and hopefully your sister will soon realise that some things are more important than a conference. i'm sure things will calm down once she's had time to rationally think.

if not. flip sister for guitar.

Good points. I do realise that some people won't be there, the thing that pissed me off was her manner on the phone. Straight away it was "you must change the dates to suit me". {censored} it, I'm going to bed - I've drunk all the whisky in my glass and can't be arsed to refill it

• Members

in Asia, youre in laws may want to come live with you, and woe be to you if you try to do something they didnt do when they were young.

AND or OR, you have to give an allowance, sometimes big, to show youre grateful to them, every month.

well, in some Asian countries....

thats a big reason Ive never married a local..take away those factors, and I may consider it. wow..money and drama

• Members

I thought we were talking about religion here.

ZING!

Sorry I guess I just needed to fill in for Six Acre Lake since he's not here. :poke:

people get baptized and they don't care what your issues are. deal with it. (or maybe you can join SAL?)

• Members

in Asia, youre in laws may want to come live with you, and woe be to you if you try to do something they didnt do when they were young.

AND or OR, you have to give an allowance, sometimes big, to show youre grateful to them, every month.

well, in some Asian countries....

thats a big reason Ive never married a local..take away those factors, and I may consider it. wow..money and drama

Wow that's a pretty petty reason not to marry someone you love.

Fwiw, maybe I got lucky, my partner's family have been nothing but supportive and welcoming (we live together), they don't expect me to be Japanese or adhere to their traditions - though I want to out of respect for them and their culture. This includes the $10K or so I will give to them before the wedding, which is customary.

This comes from a family that forbade their daughter from dating or marrying foreigners as she was growing up.

• Members

Wow that's a pretty petty reason not to marry someone you love.

Fwiw, maybe I got lucky, my partner's family have been nothing but supportive and welcoming (we live together), they don't expect me to be Japanese or adhere to their traditions - though I want to out of respect for them and their culture. This includes the $10K or so I will give to them before the wedding, which is customary.

This comes from a family that forbade their daughter from dating or marrying foreigners as she was growing up.

japanese are not part of that group i mentioned, but i had a gf who wouldnt introduce me to her parents, but i had several other who did!

but knowing you live together, id bet they expect you to marry her....

people get baptized and they don't care what your issues are. deal with it. (or maybe you can join SAL?)

Maybe you should let ME deal with things rather than taking them into your own hands? :idea:

To the OP: Set a date that works for you and the godparents. Try to make it as far in advance as you can, and give everyone else as much advance notice as you can. They'll either be there, or they won't. Don't argue with them about it, and don't lose sleep over it. You can't possibly be expected to accommodate everyone's schedules - the logistics of people's lives just don't work that way.

• Members
japanese are not part of that group i mentioned, but i had a gf who wouldnt introduce me to her parents, but i had several other who did!

but knowing you live together, id bet they expect you to marry her....

That's the plan ;)

• Members
Religion isn't the topic of the thread; please let's not try to change it to that. It could be a birthday party, a wedding, a family reunion or other important (to them) event - the fact that it's a christening is incidental, not central to the subject at hand.

Maybe you should let ME deal with things rather than taking them into your own hands?
:idea:

To the OP: Set a date that works for you and the godparents. Try to make it as far in advance as you can, and give everyone else as much advance notice as you can. They'll either be there, or they won't. Don't argue with them about it, and don't lose sleep over it. You can't possibly be expected to accommodate everyone's schedules - the logistics of people's lives just don't work that way.

Wise words from Phil once again! Unfortunately my sister reads it as "we don't want her there" rather than it being the best date for everyone else. Oh well.

Sorry for the rant and properly off topic post guys, it just ruined my day yesterday - I've not been that frustrated, sad and pissed off for a very long time and needed to vent!

Archived