Tonelab LE Hidden Menu What Vox doesn't want you to know

traditioncp

• Members

My question is about the three menu options that comes up as a result of holding one of three arrows and the rename button while powering up the tonelab. One is for volume pedal bias, one is for tube bias (for these you have to unplug everything but the power) and use the screws located on the back. Volume is the screw closest to the power button and the screw furthest from the power is to bias the tube. Biasing the tube will instantly make the tonelab le sing for you. The other is unknown but it changes the entire tonal make-up of the unit. It has a digital read out of 61 - 67. I believe this changes the class of the entire unit. Looks like rectifier, duel rectifier, class a, class ab ect... Any input would be great.

• 1 month later...
  • Members

Hello Cgenson,

I am glad you have taken the time to try these out. Biasing the tube allows any tube you put into the tone lab to work at optimum level. Before I found this out I would switch in and out a bunch of tubes. Some worked well, while other didn't. The reason is that the tube that was most like the stock would be biased the closest and the other were getting to much or to little. By biasing most tubes sound great. There are still a few that I own that I don't like but thats due to not liking the tube itself. Go to tube depot and try out the Au7. The circut board in the LE is a lot like the circut the use for amps with spring reverb and a lot of them use 12au7 instead of the 12ax7. I think you will be very happy with what you hear. Try a bunch of tubes though, and not just ax7's try other comparable. When biasing the tube just make sure it reads 8.8. and you're good. Biasing the pedal is pretty obvious. Definitely try the down arrow option. The first patch 61 is the standard patch and you get switch back any time. You will really enjoy the other patches.

• Members

In addition, I just got kick off of the Vox forum for speading the news. I tried calling them to ask questions and they hung up on me. I hope everyone with an Le or an ST try this out. I just bought the EX which is a nothing more than a pedal board that you don't have full control of editing but sounds good(with a lot of work). Any way, I hope some of you all reply to this and spead the word. The LE is way more powerful than any other pedal out there and for some reason Vox doesn't want you to know about it. Weird! Let me know what you think.

Archived