Libya.

echodeluxe

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

capt.f224013a4e8542a2a7f91cebbf16540f-d8

{censored} just got real

Wow - great shot. Double entendre unintended, but applicable.

I saw a video of that same MIG 23 being shot down earlier today. It was hit by AAA, not by coalition aircraft. I'm not sure if the pilot punched out or not, but if he did, I didn't see it on the video. There was some question as to whether that was a Libyan air force MIG, or being flown by the rebels. Either way, that shoot down was between them and did not involve us - and by "us" I mean France, England, etc. My understanding is that the US is doing command and control stuff, and that we sent in some Tomahawks, but we're not going to be flying missions... a good thing for a change IMHO.

And yes, this is potentially a political thread, but since I can't imagine anyone out there is rooting for Gaddafi, I'll let it run for a bit... as long as it remains reasonable and civil. As soon as it goes to hell, it's going to go to thread jail or get closed. :cop:

EDIT: Looks like the pilot DID manage to punch out - and none too soon:

_51746999_011564639-1.jpg

The thing that is potentially interesting about the French being on the sharp end of the spear here is that they could conceivably be fighting against some of their own hardware... the Libyan AF has some French designed / built Dassault Mirages in their inventory. Of course, those are older birds, and if France puts up their newer Dassault Rafales, it's no contest.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-12796972

I think we are officially at war with them now.

Looks like the French are indeed using the Rafales. Those are some of the most capable fighter aircraft in the world. Between that and the cruise missiles hitting their stationary CC&C facilities, SAM sites and AAA batteries, it's going to be Game Over in short order for the Libyan AF.

• Members

I'm actually fine with this. They actually want our help and we can unseat a devil of a dictator in the bargain. Granted, we've hardly objected to all our precious precious oil in the past, and I am concerned that the West will leverage its participation here to gain political advantage/sweetheart deals on oil/a launching point for further excursions, but the bare act of supporting the rebellion doesn't upset me at all. We'll see what happens next.

Civil wars are ugly things no matter how you slice it, but talk goes as far as it goes and if change hasn't happened at the end of that road then it's on to fighting.

• Members

.... apparently news just in is that the United Arab Emirates has pledged 24 aircraft to the coalition and Qatar between four and six.

.. so at least Gadafi can't say it's a 'western thing' or whatever.

• Members

all the bombing/missiles targeting Libya's forces... give it a week, and we'll find out the UK/French/USA have caused massive 'collateral damage'.. :facepalm:

they either don't seem to have any firm intelligence on where Gaddafi's forces are situated, or the media hasn't been let in on this info yet. from what i'm seeing on the BBC.

• Members

That does cut down one thing Gadafi might have otherwise been able to insinuate - where was the U.N. unanimously sanctioned no-fly zone over the Gaza Strip when Israel was bombing Palestinians, the West cares about Arab states quite selectively - so I'm guessing some pretty heavy leaning was done to get the UAE to give at least a token committal.

all the bombing/missiles targeting Libya's forces... give it a week, and we'll find out the UK/French/USA have caused massive 'collateral damage'..
:facepalm:

they either don't seem to have any firm intelligence on where Gaddafi's forces are situated, or the media hasn't been let in on this info yet. from what i'm seeing on the BBC.

Bombs are rather indiscriminate. Before any war with Iraq was declared, the U.S. and Britain had been enforcing two no-fly zones and had flown well over 200,000 sorties in said enforcement, with an accordingly high rate of civilian casualties. There will be innocent deaths. Hopefully fewer by far than if this were given to play out with Gadafi at the helm and no mediating factors.

The Libyan rebels want our help, and the League of Arab States asked for our help... which is good; hopefully they'll remember that and not try to turn it into some "Imperialist Crusade" later. :rolleyes: And what would make me feel even better about it would be if THEY decided to fly some of the missions to enforce the UN approved no-fly zone. Want our help? Fine. Participate directly in the warfighting efforts of the coalition, just like in Gulf I. The Saudis, Egyptians and Moroccans (and others) all have decent air forces that could contribute to the effort...

• Members

The Libyan rebels want our help, and the League of Arab States asked for our help... which is good; hopefully they'll remember that and not try to turn it into some "Imperialist Crusade" later.
:rolleyes:
And what would make me feel even better about it would be if THEY decided to fly some of the missions to enforce the no-fly zone. Want our help? Fine. Participate directly in the warfighting efforts of the coalition, just like in Gulf I. The Saudis, Egyptians and Moroccans (and others) all have decent air forces that could contribute to the effort...

They are flying. In fact, that photograph looks to be of a MiG 23, a Libyan jet some of which we know to be in rebel possession, possibly shot down by Libyan military forces.

Edit: You said as much in your first reply :) But I don't expect it'll just be Westerners in the air.

Archived