The Good, The Bad and The Ugly guitar tone:

• Members

Umm Travis, The original Dano six string bass is what a lot of people now re-string, tune to B, and call a baritone.
;)

You might be right, but IIRC the six string bass was 30" scale guitar with different gauge strings while the Dano Baritone was a completely different 28" scale guitar

• Members

Has anybody tried the Bigfoot Fx Spaghetti Western fuzz? It tries to recreate those buzzy fuzztones you hear on those soundtracks.

I have one of these, and, yes, it does these sounds.

It sounds great for other styles of music too -- it's one of my favorite fuzz pedals.

• Members

You might be right, but IIRC the six string bass was 30" scale guitar with different gauge strings while the Dano Baritone was a completely different 28" scale guitar

Yep your right on the scale lengths. From what I remember Jerry Jones came out with the 28" scale "baritone" in electric form or at the least made it popular? The reincarnation of the Dano company must have copied that scale based off the popularity of the Jerry Jones models (and obviously the look?). But yeah, people have been stringing up 6 string Dano basses tuned B for a long time.

• Members

Yeah but in this case I don't think it's a baritone or it matters because its a high lead.

In general they do get a good spaghetti sound but this particular one sounds like a twangy bridge pickup on a normal scale guitar (possibly a hollowbody but it does sound rather close to my strat and tele, too).

• Members

Sweet Thread! I am working on a Fuzzrite clone solely for this reason.

And since we are on baritones, I have been thinking of picking up a cheap one. I have seen the Eastwoods for around $400, any opinion? Or just wait for a Dano to come along at the right price?

• Members

I was at my parent's house a while back and all my dad watches is westerns. They had a little thing about the soundtrack between movies and it showed a guy singing that part. It was talking about how only his voice could get the tone for that part so they used him instead of recording it with guitars. Can't remember the guy's name and I couldn't find the video when I googled it.

Archived