Strat wiring - V V T or V T T ?

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

V (master), T (neck), T (bridge and middle) with this switching:

armstrong70s.jpg

Very cool. This is like the setup of the Mark Knofler Schecter Strat, though I'm not sure if the 3 switches are wired the same or not.

Edit: I'm pretty sure the Knopfler Strat just has each pickup on/off/on (reverse phase) each in parallel like classic/normal setup; no series options.

• Members

I like the K.I.S.S. approach. It's great getting tons of tones out of one guitar but trying to make a strat sound like a les paul or vs vs is a stretch. What I mean by that is there's a line between practicality and overdoing it. Not to mention adding piles of pots and switches introduces more fail points and requires excellent shielding. You think your strat hums now? K.I.S.S. :idea:

• Members

I like the K.I.S.S. approach. It's great getting tons of tones out of one guitar but trying to make a strat sound like a les paul or vs vs is a stretch. What I mean by that is there's a line between practicality and overdoing it. Not to mention adding piles of pots and switches introduces more fail points and requires excellent shielding. You think your strat hums now? K.I.S.S.
:idea:

My strat has crazy switching and doesn't hum :thu:

• Members

Good for you
:thu:

Hey J, do you have humbuckers in that strat cause I've never played a strat that was without hum that didn't have something wrong with it. Just saying... :poke:

If using humbuckers (or noise canceling single coils) gets rid of the hum then obviously the internal wiring isn't introducing any noise either. The pickups' noise rejecting properties cannot apply to anything further down the signal chain such as the guitar's internal circuitry.

fwiw the traditional way of wiring a strat supposedly doesn't ground things very well, some people see an improvement by 'star grounding' all the internal components.

• Members

If using humbuckers (or noise canceling single coils) gets rid of the hum then obviously the internal wiring isn't introducing any noise either. The pickups' noise rejecting properties cannot apply to anything further down the signal chain such as the guitar's internal circuitry.

fwiw the traditional way of wiring a strat supposedly doesn't ground things very well, some people see an improvement by 'star grounding' all the internal components.

I understand what you're saying ambient but he's saying his strat don't hum. Stock single coils hum so saying your strat does not hum is a catch 22. I totally agree with you about the traditional strat wiring. Star grounding helps with ground loops but also internal body/guard shielding is really a great extra step against EMF/EMI noise introduction.

• Members

I understand what you're saying ambient but he's saying his strat don't hum. Stock single coils hum so saying your strat does not hum is a catch 22. I totally agree with you about the traditional strat wiring. Star grounding helps with ground loops but also internal body/guard shielding is really a great extra step against EMF/EMI noise introduction.

There are 'noiseless single coils', which may not be true single coils (with dummy coils etc) but still fall under the same umbrella.

Or it could be some magnificent feat of shielding :idk:

• Members

There are 'noiseless single coils', which may not be
true
single coils (with dummy coils etc) but still fall under the same umbrella.

Or it could be some magnificent feat of shielding
:idk:

I have Bill Lawrence L-280's in my Strat, and it almost don't hum. I guess I could shield it, though.

• Members

There are 'noiseless single coils', which may not be
true
single coils (with dummy coils etc) but still fall under the same umbrella.

Or it could be some magnificent feat of shielding
:idk:

Well, i mean, I get 60 cycle hum like normal with some positions, but a lot of my positions are humbucking and the ones that aren't aren't very noisy.

• Members

I think that the best wiring for a strat is V T T but with the bridge pup wired to the second tone control and no tone control on the middle pick up. The bridge pick up often really needs a tone control but the middle pick up never does IMO.

I believe you can run the bridge pup off the same tone control as the neck pup. That way every pup gets a tone control because the neck and bridge aren't used together in a standard configuration.

I finished re-doing the wiring on the '95 Am Std Strat - I went with the stock configuration for a '95 American Strat. The pups are Texas Specials, so the middle pickup is RWRP, which means it actually doesn't hum - but only in position 2/4. In 1/3/5, it hums about like you'd expect from single coils in a well shielded guitar.

Archived