Do I play an A chord 'weirdly'?

• Members

I've been told I play an A chord 'weirdly' because I only use one finger, my index finger, laid across the D, G and B strings but raised at the bottom so the top E string can ring free.

This is just how I've always played it. I've had some lessons but not when I was beginning; I taught myself from tabs/chord boxes.

So how do you play it? with three fingers? seems a bit uneconomical to me :idk:

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I don't think I could do that and keep the top E string ringing clearly, but I guess the conventional way is inefficient if all you want to do is play that chord. With the conventional one-finger-per-string method if you want to be able to play variations on the A chord- minor, maj7, dom7, sus2 etc- it involves moving one finger with the conventional method and re-fingering the whole chord with yours.

OTOH, your method leaves lots of fingers free for altered bass notes, add9, sus4 chords or that good old fashioned Stones-y 6sus4 vamp: x02220 -> x04230

So yeah, not weird, not necessarily worse. I do both depending on what I'm playing.

• Members

Yeah that sounds awkward..

I play with middle and third finger holding the 3 strings. Sometimes middle third and pinky on a string each if I can be bothered.

see that feels awkward to me, i would never have thought of using mid, 3rd + pinky. maybe index, mid + 3rd.

my way i can easily reach my other fingers to make variations (Asus4 x02230, A6 x02222, A5 x02255, etc.) which i can't do your way. oh well, whatever works for each of us. I'm glad there's some others doing it 'my' way though.

• Members

I don't think I could do that and keep the top E string ringing clearly, but I guess the conventional way is inefficient if all you want to do is play that chord. With the conventional one-finger-per-string method if you want to be able to play variations on the A chord- minor, maj7, dom7, sus2 etc- it involves moving one finger with the conventional method and re-fingering the whole chord with yours.

OTOH, your method leaves lots of fingers free for altered bass notes, add9, sus4 chords or that good old fashioned Stones-y 6sus4 vamp: x02220 -> x04230

So yeah, not weird, not necessarily worse. I do both depending on what I'm playing.

yeah. i do play it other ways as the situation requires; for instance if i needed to go from Am to A i'd just slide my index finger from C to C# on the B string instead of changing the finger positions completely.

• Members

yeah. i do play it other ways as the situation requires; for instance if i needed to go from Am to A i'd just slide my index finger from C to C# on the B string instead of changing the finger positions completely.

You can play an Am (x02210) with one finger? *That's* weird :freak:

• Members

This thread is rather interesting. Do you guys finger chords the same way all the time? I finger the A different ways based on what I'm playing, whether I'm arpeggiating it or what chords I'm playing after it or strumming fast/slow, etc.

• Members
I use one finger and sacrifice the high E. Seems to be getting me by.

Same here. D is the one that I've been told I play weird. I barre GBE at the second fret with my index finger and play the D on the B string with my middle finger.

Archived