okay, noob question about the TU-2....

• Members

I just noticed when I went to record something, that my TU-2 on my pedal board is about a half step flat from the tuner on my Boss Porta-studio that I record on. The Porta-studio is at 445 htz, is possible that the TU-2 somehow got knocked out of 445 htz? I got it used and have never seen the manual, and have never touched any of the buttons....lol :facepalm:

even bigger :facepalm:, how long have I been playing 1/2 step out of tune?:facepalm::facepalm: :lol:

• Members

i have a tu-2 too, its total {censored}. you really cant tune a guitar properly without the TU1000. it has so many other uses too; you can use it as a bridge to cross small rivers, you can use it as a makeshift roof for a few people if you get caught in the rain, its also great for eating up stage space and letting everyone know right away how freaking cool you are.

• Members

Korg Pitchblack.

As an aside, the TU-1000 size fail thread is still my favorite thread ever on HCFX.

it's definitely some of our finder work,

I can't help but think some of those shops are stuck to some BOSS employees locker door or their cubicle noticeboard...

• Members

^^^ was that directed at me?

my question was more of a remark about their notoriousness on this board versus their lack of popularity in the real world than something i really wanted an answer for.

no, it was for companyman. i've been dying to use it, i should've waited, it would be killer as the first response in a thread.

I just noticed when I went to record something, that my TU-2 on my pedal board is about a half step flat from the tuner on my Boss Porta-studio that I record on. The Porta-studio is at 445 htz, is possible that the TU-2 somehow got knocked out of 445 htz? I got it used and have never seen the manual, and have never touched any of the buttons....lol
:facepalm:

even bigger
, how long have I been playing 1/2 step out of tune?
:lol:

Oh Noez! :D

Yeah, sometimes tuners "drift" or require calibration. That's something I try to stay aware of in the studio - if everyone's using their own separate tuner, they really might not be in tune with each other, regardless of what the meters say. Sometimes it's better if everyone shares the same single tuner - that way, you KNOW the pitch reference is the same for everyone.

There's probably an internal trim pot inside the TU-2 that will allow you to fine-tune the tuner. I know there is on the TU-12. When I say "fine tune the tuner", what I mean is "set the reference frequency". Standard pitch reference is generally A = 440 Hz, although other frequencies have been used both historically and in some cases, even today.

There are 100 cents per semitone, and I'm pretty sure the Boss tuners have a pitch accuracy of +/- 3 cents; they're not the most accurate tuners ever made. Other pedal tuners are in the +/- 1 cent range, while the Peterson strobe tuners resolve down to the tenth of a cent range. If you want to get the Boss "set" accurately, the way I'd do it is to take it to a repair shop or someplace with an accurate test tone oscillator (you could probably do it with your computer's audio output and a DAW plugin) and feed the TU-2 a "known" 440 Hz tone. Then adjust the internal trim pot until the meter is "centered", and it should be calibrated. :wave:

• Members

Oh Noez!
:D

Yeah, sometimes tuners "drift" or require calibration. That's something I try to stay aware of in the studio - if everyone's using their own separate tuner, they really might
not
be in tune with each other, regardless of what the meters say. Sometimes it's better if everyone shares the same single tuner - that way, you KNOW the pitch reference is the same for everyone.

There's probably an internal trim pot inside the TU-2 that will allow you to fine-tune the tuner. I know there is on the TU-12. When I say "fine tune the tuner", what I mean is "set the reference frequency". Standard pitch reference is generally A = 440 Hz, although other frequencies have been used both historically and in some cases, even today.

There are 100 cents per semitone, and I'm pretty sure the Boss tuners have a pitch accuracy of +/- 3 cents; they're not the most accurate tuners ever made. Other pedal tuners are in the +/- 1 cent range, while the Peterson strobe tuners resolve down to the tenth of a cent range. If you want to get the Boss "set" accurately, the way I'd do it is to take it to a repair shop or someplace with an accurate test tone oscillator (you could probably do it with your computer's audio output and a DAW plugin) and feed the TU-2 a "known" 440 Hz tone. Then adjust the internal trim pot until the meter is "centered", and it should be calibrated.
:wave:

Hmmm... or he could just sell the TU-2 and get a Peterson or a Turbo Tuner... :idk:... just sounds a little more feasible than recalibrating a crappy tuner by getting a flux capacitor and joining the league of extraordinary gentlemen, like you, Phil. ;)

Archived